ROBNCJ

Turn Signal/Headlight Control

I have a 2000 Safari Continental my turn signals are malfunctioning.  When I use the right signal they don't work but the left side comes on and when I engage the left signal they work.  When I engage the bright driving the low beam comes on and visa versa.  I've only had this RV since January and didn't notice this occurrence.  History so far I've replaced house batteries and replaced several light bulbs along with putting LED driving lights since the old ones were very weak.  Would appreciate any insight to correct the problem.  I was told that a grounding problem could cause this if the lights are dim but they are all bright.

Thank you,

Rob

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:15 PM, ROBNCJ said:

When I engage the bright driving the low beam comes on and visa versa..

Thank you,

Rob

This sounds like the bright and dim wires are on the wrong terminals. Can't say about the turn signals, as you stated that when you engage the right signal, the left comes on, but the left sounds as though it works correctly? I had an older coach that had a similar problem, I learned that the tilt steering wheel would change the behavior if I moved the steering wheel a little farther forward to a point of actually correcting itself. This of course meant that there was a problem in the wiring harness inside the steering column. Once I found where it worked best, I quit tilting the wheel from where it worked best. Hope you find the problem, and welcome to the forum.

With no key in ignition engaging the left or right turn signals both sides blink and when I use engage the low or high beam driving lights they are opposite meaning low is high beam and visa versa.

Tried to change the tilt and extending driving wheel as suggested with no change.  Anything else I can try???

Thank you!!   Rob

Following up on my problem, I did switch the headlights previously even though the parts rep said he didn't think the lights were specifically designated for a left or right.

This problem happens with engine off or on!  Already tested by changing the tilt and wheel position!

I wasn't referring to switching light sockets from left to right, there are two wires required for each light, one for dim, the other for bright, these was what need to be reversed to cause dim and bright, in most cases there will also be a negative, usually white in a three wire setup. This may require actually cutting the two positive wires and splicing back in a reversed fashion.