Sign in to follow this  
youngcs52

Tire Age At Installation

I just had two new steer tires installed.  Used the michelin advantage program.  Both are 2016, one the 28th week and one the 47.  Given the focus on DOT date, is the age unreasonable?

youngcs52,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Not sure what is "reasonable".  But, agree with you age is a factor in selecting tires.  When I get new tires for the motorhome, I always give them the "smallest date code" number I will accept.  Unless I am in a bind (small town, tires out of production, etc), I want them 3 months old or younger.

"New" age can be a problem or not. This isn't an easy answer as some new tires are stored in "better' conditions than others.

Ideal storage would be indoors in relatively cool location.  I have seen some tires at local gas station on mobile racks that are wheeled outside into the sun. Certainly not "better".

Another thing to consider is when the warranty clock starts ticking. Some companies start the clock when tires are applied. In those cases you need to be sure the full DOT is recorded on sales receipt and that you keep the receipt and warranty info with other important documents. If your "new" tires are from a company with this policy you should have no problem.

Other companies use the DOT date. In that case I would prefer 6 months or newer if possible. 

You might try and negotiate a discount of a few $ on the older tire

Another thing to consider is how long you plan on keeping the tires and how you care for your tires.  If you always cover them with a white cover whenever parked more than a couple days then you are following a good practice.