edandviv

Remove & Replace Radiator: 1999 Safari Sahara

I need to replace my radiator in my unit. any help in this process would be greatly appreciated. I'm a DIY if at all possible. I contacted several pros and no one can or will give me a quote. They just give me their hourly rate. I have tried to contact factory service but no info available. No records earlier than 2002. This was built by SMC before Monaco.

edandviv, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

Kind of thinking you have a rear Radiator setup? That being the case - the Radiator and THE CAC are bolted together and go in as a unit. One needs a location to work and the proper tools for this job. Some real tight areas and allot of items to remove. Taking pictures and good notes on the removal sequence is advised!

Rich. 

Ed,

I had a company called "Inland Truck Parts" in Denton Texas repair my radiator. They had to raise the coach up in the rear and drop it down. They sent it out to a shop that had to re-core the unit.  Cost was up there but they did very nice work and in a timely manner. 

There is a company in Organ called "Source Engineering" and they will make you a new radiator. 541-343-0293. From what I heard they are a couple of Ex- Monaco engineers that left and started their own manufacturing company.

Herman

Source is a good source depending. I am a Safari SMC owner with 2 coaches. I like redundancy:ph34r:  First it would be helpful if you signed with the coach you have so guys like me can really help you. What year do you have What radiator side or rear. What model is it and the list goes on in order to give you the info you need. I would also suggest you join the safarifriends@yahoo.com site as it is also just Safari info and more like me with specific knowledge. I am the consumate do it yourselfer and this job is not for sissies. Send me a PM and I will really load you up.

I had a Cummins shop remove and send the radiator (side mounted) out to be re-cored, then reinstalled in our first motor home, a 1994 Monaco Dynasty.  They had the entire motor home on the lift, four supports, the whole motor home was 8 feet off the floor.  I took pictures!  Awesome to see.  Anyway, the surgery was successful.  Like a challenge?  I suspect this is a good one.  Good luck.

The OP's 1999 Safari Sahara 3506 is a rear radiator/CAC, Caterpillar 3126.

Sorry (actually I am glad) I have no first hand experience with R&R.

19 hours ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

Source is a good source depending. I am a Safari SMC owner with 2 coaches. I like redundancy:ph34r:  First it would be helpful if you signed with the coach you have so guys like me can really help you. What year do you have What radiator side or rear. What model is it and the list goes on in order to give you the info you need. I would also suggest you join the safarifriends@yahoo.com site as it is also just Safari info and more like me with specific knowledge. I am the consumate do it yourselfer and this job is not for sissies. Send me a PM and I will really load you up.

Thanks for the reply. My coach is a 1999 Safari Sahara Edision 3506, it has a 3126B Caterpillar 300HP engine it was produced on November of 1998. It has a rear radiator. I have removed the full width mud flap and the tow hitch receiver. What else do you need to know? I think I have found a radiator for it. I need to know how to get the old one out. Does the fan shroud and frame housing come out as one piece? Or can I take the radiator housing apart without removing the radiator the CAC and the shroud. It looks like it can be disassembled in the coach. (unsure). The CAC looks like it is built in to the fan shroud.

Ok I'm back.. BLUNTLY and not trying to give you a hard time but .it is going to be a real job if you are not able to look at it and access how to disassemble the basic configuration. It is not rocket science but unfortunately it is not a Chevy, and there are no books out here to reference. I can tell you that the receiver hitch on my 2000 Zanzibar is directly underneath the CAC and the radiator. The lower bracing for the rear cap is attached to the frame rail that the receiver is attached to. The bolt nuts that retain the receiver are buried in such a manner that it will be very difficult to get enough leverage on them to break them loose. Ask me how I know, been there and done that. I wanted to remove my receiver to modify it. I was not successful with all the equipment I have and ended up cutting the cross bar of the receiver out making the changes and re-welding it back in place. The point I am making is this job is a big tough one for professionals not a starter project for a newbie. On top of all of this it is going to be a very heavy assembly. Yes the coach will have to be up in order to get the radiator out from under the rear cap. Measure the height of the radiator and then the distances to the ground, at least a couple fee probably more. Yes you will have to disassemble the whole thing Fan off, shroud from the radiator CAC from the radiator it is all bolted together and heaaaavy. You will have to drain the fluids too.

I changed out my radiator when I did my engine swap.  It was all nuts and bolts.  I used a 1000 lb jack table and It worked good.  I exchanged out my mechanical 5.9 Cummins and 4 speed Allison for a ISB Cummins 275 and a Allison MD3060 6 speed.  The new engine took a larger radiator and CAC.  I drove that coach for 150,000 miles in 16 years and just sold it in April.

1 hour ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

Ok I'm back.. BLUNTLY and not trying to give you a hard time but .it is going to be a real job if you are not able to look at it and access how to disassemble the basic configuration. It is not rocket science but unfortunately it is not a Chevy, and there are no books out here to reference. I can tell you that the receiver hitch on my 2000 Zanzibar is directly underneath the CAC and the radiator. The lower bracing for the rear cap is attached to the frame rail that the receiver is attached to. The bolt nuts that retain the receiver are buried in such a manner that it will be very difficult to get enough leverage on them to break them loose. Ask me how I know, been there and done that. I wanted to remove my receiver to modify it. I was not successful with all the equipment I have and ended up cutting the cross bar of the receiver out making the changes and re-welding it back in place. The point I am making is this job is a big tough one for professionals not a starter project for a newbie. On top of all of this it is going to be a very heavy assembly. Yes the coach will have to be up in order to get the radiator out from under the rear cap. Measure the height of the radiator and then the distances to the ground, at least a couple fee probably more. Yes you will have to disassemble the whole thing Fan off, shroud from the radiator CAC from the radiator it is all bolted together and heaaaavy. You will have to drain the fluids too.

Thanks for all the info I really do appreciate it. I guess I'll take it to a shop. If I were younger and in  better health I'd give it try. I already removed the hitch. and it was a SOB. I took out the decorative shelf and i/2 moon sides that are on the both sides of the radiator. This will save some money. 

I think it was said in a Movie.  "A man has got to know his limitations"!  RSBill and I know ours!:)  Others like DD and Joe L. are still looking.:P

On 6/20/2017 at 7:10 AM, DickandLois said:

edandviv, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

Kind of thinking you have a rear Radiator setup? That being the case - the Radiator and THE CAC are bolted together and go in as a unit. One needs a location to work and the proper tools for this job. Some real tight areas and allot of items to remove. Taking pictures and good notes on the removal sequence is advised!

Rich. 

Thanks for info

On 6/22/2017 at 6:43 PM, edandviv said:

Thanks for all the info I really do appreciate it. I guess I'll take it to a shop. If I were younger and in  better health I'd give it try. I already removed the hitch. and it was a SOB. I took out the decorative shelf and i/2 moon sides that are on the both sides of the radiator. This will save some money. 

DO NOT feel bad... I think there are many of us who are limiting our exertion.  Don't call it old age, call it wisdom!

Sorry to move off the topic but I have to give another shout out for Inland Truck Parts in Denton, Texas.

Upon having the coach aligned they found I had a very loose Drag Link. One of the tie rod ends appeared to have not been lubed in a very long time,another story.

Made a call to Monaco. I must say they were nice enough to give me the part number, part was in stock and a price quote. :o:o After I regained my breath I told the nice lady on the phone that I would get back to her. Called Inland gave them the Part Number. They called me back said they found the part and would I measure the length to be sure. I did and they ordered the part. No CC required. They called me every day telling me the status of the tracking number. Friday morning they called to tell me the part was in. 4 days from order to receiving the part. Plus I saved $250.00 over the price quoted by Monaco. Thank you Monaco for giving me the P/N and Thanks to Inland Truck Parts for their fine service and $ savings.

Herman

Again sorry for hi-jacking the post.

REV or Allied is not cheap...they wanted $1250 + S & H and 4-6 week delivery time for a bay door! :o  Got it done in a day at a Plasma Shop in San Antonio $432 ! :wub: