Obviously, management was not pleased with the discussion in the other topic related to the Verizon data plan, since it was just closed to further discussion. This has been so poorly handled it is unbelievable! If they wanted to do a soft launch, it would have been so easy. First question: "May I have your FMCA number please?" Verify membership, then sign the member up for the data plan. No Membership? "Sorry, we cannot enroll you in the data plan at this time". Instead they accepted new memberships from whoever called, signed them up for the data plan, then were shocked that they were overwhelmed. Meanwhile, long term members get shut out. When members discussed it, they close the discussion!  As I mentioned in my post in the other topic, I have been a member for about 35 years. That may come to an end soon. 

I imagine that this topic will be closed or deleted as well. What a great organization!

Tom Thomas

F58933

2006 Fleetwood Expedition

Corporate censorship at its best. But the traces remain on the Internet and can't be deleted. I would suggest to the FMCA IT dept. that maybe they shouldn't be deleting anything until this gets "resolved". Just sayin'. 

Not aware of a single deleted post.

But, also, can't see the purpose in speculation and "finger pointing" when the FMCA staff explained what happened and will be working to handle the huge workload the new program will entail.

The offer was CLEARLY visible for days if you Googled "FMCA Verizon". Today it was deleted but still is recoverable in cache. Too many legal questions to sort out or to speculate on now. But hiding from your mistakes never works, sooner of later you must face them. You might also Google "Verizon OmniLynx" and see if you detect any parallels. 

2 hours ago, Boundertom said:

Instead they accepted new memberships from whoever called, signed them up for the data plan, then were shocked that they were overwhelmed. Meanwhile, long term members get shut out. When members discussed it, they close the discussion!  As I mentioned in my post in the other topic, I have been a member for about 35 years. That may come to an end soon. 

We, too, are longtime FMCA members and find the handling of this program distasteful and FMCA's dismissive responses to our legitimate questions insulting.  When long-time existing members cannot take advantage of a benefit yet brand new signups can, something is very wrong.  It speaks to a different focus - bringing in money from new memberships rather than looking after the existing base.  We submitted the online form, per the instructions, within hours of its announcement, yet never received a call.  People solely interested in taking advantage of the data plan but needing a membership simply circumnavigated the process, called to join and get the data plan, and were awarded priority.

We are now being denied a club benefit.  Do we get our membership cost credited back to us until we are able to share in all the same benefits as these new members?

53 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Not aware of a single deleted post.

But, also, can't see the purpose in speculation and "finger pointing" when the FMCA staff explained what happened and will be working to handle the huge workload the new program will entail.

Brett, I respect your knowledge and great work at the dieselrvclub. BUT, the issue here is that it would have been SO EASY for FMCA to verify membership before enrolling folks in the data plan. They should not have been signing new people up for FMCA and putting them on the data plan. Then they close down the discussion!!!

Tom Thomas

F58933

2006 Fleetwood Expedition

I am a brand new member and I did not get the data plan but was told it would be available soon and I believe them. They were ambushed by  a leak of the plan to a web site, which is how I found out about it, complete with links to join and a link to sign up for the data plan. It always required a membership number to sign up for the data plan and also a phone call. Both membership and data plan sign up pages were overwhelmed because they were not yet ready to accept all of the people wanting the data plan. It was mostly nonmembers who saw the data plan, I saw it on a news feed and could not find it anywhere on the FMCA web site. Verizon also seems to have a cap on the number of plans. 

They were very nice and honest about what happened when I called to confirm my membership. 

I rarely defend FMCA (or anyone for that matter) but let's get real here.  FMCA did what was meant to be a test market with an offer send to 5000 FMCA members (should have been me as well but then I already mentioned I don't often defend FMCA) to test the waters.  Just like the posts awhile back that "leaked" info about this plan, someone in the test group sent the info to Technomadia and they published it for all the World to see.  This was never the plan and FMCA screwed up by not ensuring that the folks who signed up also knew that this was a test and the information should not be disseminated to the public.  Having failed to do so, someone let the cat out of the bag and things went down hill FAST from there.

The future of this plan still remains in jeopardy as everyone who wants this kind of a plan is going to join FMCA (a good thing) whether they own an RV or not (a bad thing).  Just look back at the OmniLynx plan and you will be able to see how a plan designed to serve a specific group that expands to a plan that serves anyone, anywhere for any reason is bound to fail.  It there were any other rules, Verizon would simply offer this exact plan to all of their customers.

I don't understand why the last thread on this topic was closed to further posts.  Can someone explain the criteria for closing a thread as I have come across many posts on the board that are years old and still open.  

Regarding the plan -  I found out about the plan on this very forum and responded to it from the information on this "official" FMCA forum.  The same forum the executive director in the previous thread encouraged all to call in to the office to get on the plan.  If the FMCA wanted to they could have stopped it then as I assume they monitor this board all the time.   I appreciate that the FMCA is working on more benefits that will attract and/or keep members.    I just can't help thinking that when the deal was negotiated FMCA told Verizon the current number of FMCA members and a percentage of members they felt would take advantage of the plan so someone should have had an idea what to expect.   What else is confusing why did the price go down from $49.99 to $43.99 - did the trial group not like the deal?

49 minutes ago, BillAdams said:

I rarely defend FMCA (or anyone for that matter) but let's get real here.  FMCA did what was meant to be a test market with an offer send to 5000 FMCA members (should have been me as well but then I already mentioned I don't often defend FMCA) to test the waters.  Just like the posts awhile back that "leaked" info about this plan, someone in the test group sent the info to Technomadia and they published it for all the World to see.  This was never the plan and FMCA screwed up by not ensuring that the folks who signed up also knew that this was a test and the information should not be disseminated to the public.  Having failed to do so, someone let the cat out of the bag and things went down hill FAST from there.

The future of this plan still remains in jeopardy as everyone who wants this kind of a plan is going to join FMCA (a good thing) whether they own an RV or not (a bad thing).  Just look back at the OmniLynx plan and you will be able to see how a plan designed to serve a specific group that expands to a plan that serves anyone, anywhere for any reason is bound to fail.  It there were any other rules, Verizon would simply offer this exact plan to all of their customers.

Let's come back to reality. This was no "leak". That is beltway spin that does not resolve here. The plan was published on a FMCA webpage that was easily seen by anyone with any IT expertise. "Test market plans" are NOT run that way. If you think that Verizon will tolerate "everyone who wants this kind of a plan is going to join FMCA (a good thing) whether they own an RV or not (a bad thing)" , you'd better go back and research OmniLynx again. Right now it is a plan open to the general public with no screening, for a $60 initiation fee. I hope the offering survives, but FMCA better get some expert consulting to guide them ASAP or it will fail exactly as OmniLynx did.

Well, you can't say, it's been a boring 16 month's! :wacko:  First, let's invite towable...now this.  Wonder what's next? 

The exit from FMCA by many current members. Interests are at play here which don't have the general membership as their main concern  

I sure hope they have some answers for you folks attending the rally next month, could get interesting to say the least. Its probably safe to say a huge majority of the attendees don't have a clue there has been a Verizon plan offered.

I guess Herman was correct when he kept saying call FMCA.

Jim.  July 12, promises to become a very long day!  I can't say, I'm looking forward to the meeting or the Vote.

Again, if you have a webpage that is exposed to the World Wide Web it's going to be discovered and published to the search engines via web crawlers (also known as a web spiders or web robots). The way to prevent this from happening is to go ahead and create the page but NOT expose it to the World Wide Web until you are ready. Once it is found, it is impossible to put the genie back in the bottle.

I read in the FB rvmobilinternet group that they briefed their members that this was coming a month ago. What happened was entirely predictable by anyone who has expertise in this field. Even howardforums contain posts that say, go ahead and join even if you don't own an RV, how are they going to find out, this is as great deal! How's that for a ideal new member to the organization?

So without being a mouse in the room or a fly on the wall during FMCA/Verizon meetings very few people will know the "truth". Now we wait and see if it will survive.

BTW, the URL to that page was " join.fmca.com/fmca-verizon-benefit/ " - if that provides you with any insight

I suspect the FMCA just wants more members so whether they own a motorhome (or any RV of any kind for that matter) is not really their top concern.

13 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Interests are at play here which don't have the general membership as their main concern  

Behavior/practices that align more as a for-profit business than a non-profit.  As a non-profit (how FMCA "qualified" to offer this from Verizon), an organization's responsibility is to support, and provide value to, the existing membership.  

So, I just wanted to say, I am one of the new members who created a fmca membership and then requested the Verizon deal moments later.  I was later told its on hold and I'll have to wait like everybody else.

We are a couple that has had a longtime interest in rvs and are finally pulling the trigger this year.  I have never heard of the fmca to be honest but when I saw the deal I tried to grab it.

I was actually quite impressed I got any response at all as I figure they must be overwhelmed.  The truth is, the deal is exceptional and I'm not sure how fmca negotiated even a limited number from Verizon.  Not knowing anything at all about fmca, I don't have any hard feelings and so I plan to explore the other membership benefits and see how it all plays out over time.

Just wanted to say that not everyone who picked up the offer online is necessarily a bottom feeder. :-)

1 hour ago, spuds said:

Behavior/practices that align more as a for-profit business than a non-profit.  As a non-profit (how FMCA "qualified" to offer this from Verizon), an organization's responsibility is to support, and provide value to, the existing membership.  

The Family Motor Coaching side of FMCA is a for profit corporation, but the amount of profit has a limit to maintain the not for profit FMCA side. 

1 hour ago, stephentenberg said:

finally pulling the trigger this year

Does this mean you own a motorcoach or have decided to get one this year?

So, I'm curious, I just looked at the application form and it clearly asks for the year, make, and model of your coach. Did these people falsely make up that information in order to get past that requirement? Or is FMCA now allowing that part of the application to be left blank and still award membership?

Bob

1 hour ago, rpelatt said:

So, I'm curious, I just looked at the application form and it clearly asks for the year, make, and model of your coach. Did these people falsely make up that information in order to get past that requirement? Or is FMCA now allowing that part of the application to be left blank and still award membership?

Bob

I wanted to let the guy answer so he didn't feel like a criminal. He seemed pretty honest. His statement,"We are a couple that has had a longtime interest in rvs and are finally pulling the trigger this year" makes it sound like he may not even be a RV owner yet. 

It also sounds like he signed up over the phone. If FMCA never asked him, it certainly was not his fault.

Some of the Internet "unlimited data plan" forums have said that FMCA was not even checking to see if the potential new member even owned a RV, let alone a motorcoach. Is it true? Who knows. Lots of questions remain unanswered.