aztec7fan

All Electric (Including EV Drivetrain) Motorhome

Being bored, I thought I'd google EV motorhomes and see what came up.  Came accross several articles and discussions, including this article from Mark Polk from 6 years ago:

http://conventions/polks-top-7-266/3506-polks-top-7-issues-with-an-all-electric-motorhome.html

Many good reasons that an EV motorhome would not be feasible, then I began thinking, what if you mounted the large battery bank for the drivetrain on a trailer?  Let's assume with today's technology and more batteries, you could get 200+ mile range on one charge.  Then, assuming a network could be established, maybe with campgrounds, to have spare trailers on-site and fully charged, you could stop and swap out the trailer and continue for another 200+ miles.

This would fit with most of our travel plans where we drive 300-400 miles a day when traveling.

The motorhome could still have a gas/diesel generator on board to charge the batteries when boondocking and to extend range even further.

Just thinking out loud.

Your thoughts?

Chris G.

F3508s

Lots of very cumbersome logistics behind this one that would likely kill it.  in addition gas and diesel are very reasonable $$ right now which kind of kills the economic benefit today.

Off the top; questions that come to mind.....

• would there be a standardized trailer that one would have to purchase in order to be eligible to swap?
  • what is you ended up swapping for a trailer with an older battery that doesn't have the range left in it? what is the trailer is years older than yours and the tires are iffy?
  • who pays to refurbish or replace the batteries as they become obsolete?
  • who pays for the electric to recharge
  • if the trailer weighed over a few thousand lbs, then all motorhomes would need a brake controller or all trailers would need hydraulic brakes
  • how much would the trailer be to purchase including batteries?  I am thinking big $$'s
  • if one is towing a battery trailer, how does one also to a toad?
  • wouldn't a campground offering these trailers for swap need a large parking/storage area in addition to what they already have?
  • won't said campground have to substantially upgrade their electric to support?

Just a few issues that would have to be sorted and likely the capital investment cost in relation to the number of electric RV's out there combined with the lengthy payback period, would be huge obstacles.  

If you are bored go look at new concept trucks. Walmart is doing lots of research into more efficient trucks. I had a link but can't find it . The nearer one that might be adaptable to RV use was the electric drive Hybrid. It used a small gas turbine to power a generator to provide power to drive the truck.

Bill

It's a coming for your Great Grandkids and will probably be electro magnetic, skimming along a magnetic road +/-.  Opposites repel one an other!  :D 

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Interesting!  Now, all it needs is reliability...a factor that Tesla is not noted for! :ph34r:

As a Fan of electric vehicles (who has studied the evolution of electric vehicles) I have not seen any reports showing that Tesla's are unreliable or that a Tesla is less reliable than any other car on the road. The only report that even suggests a reliability issue with Tesla's is Consumer Reports' report where they reduced Tesla's reliability and repair rating because of some issues with the door handles which were all fixed under warranty.

When I look at reliability, I only consider things that leave you stranded on the side of the road. A persnickety door handle does not make a vehicle unreliable.

With only 20 moving parts an electric vehicle is inherently more reliable than an Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicle which has over 2,000 moving parts.

There are two all Electric transit buses currently being used on the streets.

One is Protera, and the other is BYD. Both buses are being manufactured today and both have variable range based on the battery pack purchased ( I think the base range is around 135 miles).

With constant improvements in Battery technology it is quite conceivable that an all electric Motorhome is not too far off into the future. Certainly with today's technology a 200 mile Motorhome is feasible and with improvements made to reduce charging times a 300 mile (plus) day is possible with only a 30 minute stop (maybe less) to charge up the battery pack and eat lunch.

I think some kind of hybrid is more likely/ practical. Go look at the second link I posted. The most  interesting one I have seen is a gas turbine electric setup. More like a diesel electric train but with a battery bank for low speeds/boost.

Bill

I was also going to point out that the diesel/electric train has been around for 80+ years, and look at what a load they carry. For those that do not know, the transition technology of d/e is very reliable. They boast 836 miles per ton (2000#'s)  per gallon of fuel, and is a proven fact. Not so sure about a gas turbine engine yet, in the past small gas or diesel turbines have been reliable but were fuel hogs. When I was a small boy, in the 50's, the city buses in B'ham., were all electric trolleys, they had a pole on the back of the bus that made contact with an electric wire overhead that was installed for every bus route. I remember the driver going to the rear of the bus and pulling a rope to change from one grid to another. About 1957 those buses were sold to San francisco, who used them for many more years. MEMORIES:rolleyes:!

Quite a few were made by Electramotive in LaGrange, Illinois. They are so much heavier, taller, longer with so, so much more HP to power the generator. Also the only batteries are the ones used to start the engine. The engines run the generator. 

Herman 

Diesel electric locomotives are completely different than electric or hybrid vehicles.

The "electric" part of the locomotive serves as the transmission.  100% of the power comes from the diesel engine.

The reason is that electric motors give full torque at zero RPM.  Good for starting long, heavy trains.  Beats "slipping the clutch"!

That would be something similar to this.

https://www.wired.com/2016/07/tesla-co-founder-making-electric-garbage-trucks-jet-tech-not/

GE has built a new factory (in the Alliance Corridor) to make electric drive motors for mining equipment. They also make new train engins and refurbish old ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYjlE4Mno3c

The technology is there it just needs someone to put it together at an affordable price.

Bill

About 5 years ago, I heard that Caterpillar was testing an electric drive train on a D3 dozer.  Haven't heard any results since. 

hycoo2000.

Tesla has now and always had problems with it's Ion batteries and charger system.  In the US, it charges on 120V, in Europe it's 220V.  Norway has more Tesla's than any other make, because of a Government incentive, it also has more stranded Tesla's (break down), than other makes. 

Due to business that I own, I'm in Norway, Sweden and Netherlands, every year...leaving July 14.

Ross,

Years ago LeTourneau made what they called "Electra Drive" earth moving equipment. Every wheel was powered by it's own D/C motor. For example if you had a box scraper and needed more power they just added two more drive wheels. R. G. LeTourneau was way ahead of his time.

Herman 

Herman, look at the GE video I posted a link to. They have a new factory up at Alliance making electric drive motors for big earthmovers and mining equipment. The closest right now you might be able to use the systems in the garbage trucks on aRV platform.

Bill

Just imagine the weight and size of batteries required to power large equipment?  Not happening anytime soon. Elon Musk may figure out a way to get $$$ from the taxpayers for such a project. 😠😡

6 hours ago, obedb said:

Just imagine the weight and size of batteries required to power large equipment?  Not happening anytime soon. Elon Musk may figure out a way to get $$$ from the taxpayers for such a project. 😠😡

Look at the link for the electric garbage trucks they show the battery packs. They have gotten smaller as they have gotten more powerful. 

Bill

6 hours ago, obedb said:

It has already happened, there are two transit bus companies with buses running on the streets of the USA right now.

As far as Elon Musk taking Tax dollars, Tesla has not used any tax dollars for his company. Tesla did get a loan that was guaranteed by the US government, but, that loan was paid back in FULL, WAY Before the loan was due. So, in reality, the Tax Payers have made money (interest paid) from Tesla, not the other way around.

Bill.  Look up Volta.  Liberty Coach started using the system 2 years ago.  Time will tell if Liberty is thinking ahead of the norm!

Bill.  Correction, Liberty started using the Volta Power System in 2010.  :)  A very interesting read, especially the part about the EPA mandates! :wacko::blink:

Solar energy and wind turbines are heavily subsidized. Be it in the form of tax credits or outright subsidies. If Elon has made a profit  on any of his ventures it has been a very small one.  I think of him as a "Flim Flam Man."  As long as  oil and natural gas stay  low in price, there is no real incentive to try expensive alternatives. Follow the money. If a local bus company is trying new motive technology, I bet there is a grant at work. Usually with Federal tax dollars. 

Our county (York in PA) has a refuse collector that is using LNG. That works for them because there rigs are out and back at least daily. Alternative fuels have to be readily available as one incentive to try them.  I will stay with diesel for a motorhome.

Directly from the Pa Dept of Revenue website.  Diesel fuel tax per gallon 74.7 cents per gallon. LNG 38.6 cents per gallon. Almost one half the tax levied on diesel.

The amount of tax, wins every time...then there is the engine manufacturers and lobbyists  and what our Government officials are invested in!  Oil. gas, coal and the big one...trains!