Chunkybeastracin@aol.com

Releasing The Parking Brake

Drive Shaft Parking Brakes are all so used on motor homes with Air Over Hydraulic Brakes. While I was in my drive way moving slowly I intentionally applied my parking brake to see what the response would be. The Brake applies very fast and the coach rocked back and forth for a few seconds as the drive shaft and engine/transmission mounts absorbed the energy. I hope they never apply them self when we are underway.

You also should have an Air Dryer that will need periodic service. This will be located near the engine mounted air compressor. My Spartan Chassis recommends every three years. You have a cartridge that looks like an upside down oil filter which will need periodic replacement. I work on the principal that as long as the air tanks are dry the air dryer is doing it's job. When the least little bit of moisture or oil show up in the tanks it is time for service. A lot of the recommended service intervals are based on heavy usage and will not apply to a motor home when driven as I use mine. A few hundred miles a year is not the same as 50,000 miles a year. Good luck and welcome to the motor home club.

Guest lawellin

My experience might save someone from being towed.... I pulled up at a red light and almost instantly the low air horn sounded. Oh no the dreaded emergency brake lock up. Before I examined the instruments, the light turned green and I was able to drive off. After moving over to the curbside lane, I looked at the two air pressure gauges and all was well ?? I applied the brakes again and the front brake pressure gauge begin to fall rapidly. I braked to a stop & by then the gauge was near zero & the horn was blaring. However, when I released the brake pedal the pressure built back up. All the while the rear brakes & pressure gauge were acting normally......I reasoned, I must being loosing FRONT brake air downstream of the foot pedal controlled brake valve. Since I still had working rear brakes & was only a couple of miles fron home, I drove on home......Later found the plastic air brake line had pulled loose from its push in connection at the left front brake. The factory worker had cut the line too short and at an angle instead of a nice square cut. Thus resulting in a line under tension and not fully engaged in the push in connection. Axle movement finally worked it loose.....I should caution that unless you are fairly confident in driving vs towing DON"T DO IT!

I am having a similar issue....when we depress the parking brake valve, you can hear the air brakes and no alarm......light parking brake light is lit, we are in neutral, but once we select Drive, the audible alarm goes off....I can release the service brake and off we go, so am wondering why the parking brake alarm is going off when the brakes are clearly not engaged....

We could for a time simply turn off the ignition, wait a few minutes, start it back up, release the parking brake, idiot light goes out, put it in Drive and the all is well....now that no longer works.

We are enroute from TX back home to FL....any assistance or insight would be most helpful, as we're afraid to move forward with the light and alarm going off, but we are clearly able to move without resistance....

Eddie Gerlach. 321-297-2301

Eddie, when this happens what are your air pressures on the gauge?

I have a similar issue with ours on occasion, I have found if I quickly stomp the brake pedal and let off the pedal just as fast it shuts off. Ours will come on in the same scenario as yours (I get only the audible alarm) and on occasion it will come on driving for no reason. 

I have the replacement pressure switch to install. 

Joe,

I had the same problem on my coach, changed the pressure switch on the parking brake valve, problem fixed.  Five years later still working fine.

I expect the contact in the pressure switches aren't designed for the load that it is required to interrupt.

Jim