larrypennington

Verizon News Update: Disappointing News About Our Newest Benefit

Hello Members,

We thought today was going to be a day of celebration. As you’ll read in the July of Family Motor Coaching magazine, our expectation was that we would be opening the doors to the latest and greatest member benefit – unlimited, on-the-go internet access at a great price for all FMCA members.

Unfortunately, despite months of negotiations, approvals and green lights, the provider (Verizon) pulled the plug at the last second. Magazines had been printed, pre-announcements tested, and the staff was standing by for the flood of enrollments.

For more background on how this situation unfolded, see the post here.

We are very sad. And disappointed. We were so excited to bring you this program because we know how important staying in touch – with reliable access – is while you’re on the road.

Please don’t give up on us. After the unexpected cancellation by Verizon, we’re dusting ourselves off and getting back in the ring. We promise to keep working to bring you benefits of value and quality – the kind of service you expect from your RV family.

Thanks for understanding. And keep having fun – because that’s what FMCA is all about!

Charlie Adcock

If you joined FMCA just for the Verizon Unlimited Plan, Please Read This!

Dear Members,

Welcome to the FMCA family!

Last week we launched what we believed was going to be an awesome new benefit exclusively for FMCA members.  After all, our members are on-the-go motorhome owners and want to stay in touch while they travel! We’ve even heard that some people signed up for membership just to gain access to the Verizon unlimited on-the-go internet service.

But then, despite months of negotiations and approvals, Verizon unexpectedly pulled the plug.

If the Verizon benefit was your only reason for joining and you want to cancel your membership, just e-mail membership@fmca.com and we’ll take care of it.  

But before you go ...

... Consider staying on as a member.  Our president always ends his letters with “It’s all about having fun” and that’s the truth!  FMCA members enjoy lots of great benefits designed especially for motorhome owners, but it’s more than that – it’s about being part of the best community of RVers you’ll ever find.

And speaking of benefits – FMCA membership includes a best-in-class travel assistance service, money saving deals on tires, great member-only content, and many more deals, discounts and services for motorhome owners.

Thanks for your consideration.  Remember – It’s all about having fun!

Some joined who did not own a qualifying coach and some joined who don't have any RV at all.  I suspect the plea to stay with FMCA will fall on a number of deaf ears.

You guys called it and now we have a new thread to direct the attention away from all the previous discussion about who and how it was blown. The new spin puts the blame on Verizon. I was waiting ;like many to see how it would flush out. It certainly looked like a great benefit and I was going to be a two service family ATT and Verizon in the same household. I live in an up scale neighborhood in Colorado and no Verizon here. Now question is what will happen to all the noted personalities postings on the other thread.  Bill A do you think????

I hadn't looked into the Verizon deal, we have a Verizon hot spot and have used it for a number of years.  We find it useful on occasion.  Mostly we have it as part of a cobbled together set of hot spots that give us a barely minimal amount of mobile internet access.  Over time, I moved from a Verizon phone to AT&T because of the coverage.  There were places that we visited that had limited or no Verizon service.  Louise had an AT&T phone for many years and she usually had service when I didn't.  So I made the move to AT&T when my last Verizon phone died (under the tires of a golf cart).  From flip phone to iPhone 4S was like night to day.  AT&T has been good, we had a 20 GB plan that we coped with by using the Verizon hot spot and a T-Mobile hot spot with "unlimited" data.  All together we could get 30 GB high speed and then the limited speed of the T-Mobile hot spot. 

This week we went to an AT&T office to examine possibilities for expanding our data service and possibly replacing our iPhone 4S models.  Now is the time to explain that I, like many of you, were raised in a time when the phone bill was $15 per month and you looked to trim that down by holding the "long distance" calls to a minimum.  Comparing the old phone service with the black phone, rotary dial, local service and today's service is like comparing a horse and buggy to today's SUV.  Let's face it, the service today offers things we could only imagine as being some kind of magic when we were kids.  Anybody pay long distance charges today? 

Long and short, we had three "lines," an iPad and two iPhones (his and hers).  With the AT&T "unlimited" plan, we get 22 GB of full speed data - Per Line.  OMG, that is 66 GB of full speed service for our three lines.  Can I say that the Verizon service will be cancelled soon.  The T-Mobile is already cancelled.  Two months and the latest contract on the Verizon will expire and it will be gone.  Any of our iPhones and the iPad will act as a hot spot for our computers.  With the purchase of two new iPhones, we were able to purchase another iPad for $100 (limited time offer for the "old" iPad).  That is another line and another 22 GB, a total now of 88GB at full speed and no penalty if we exceed that.  I don't have any idea what we will do with that data capability but strongly suspect based on past performance that they will find something for us do with every bit of data we can get our hands on...

Bottom line, the bill will be lower next month than it was before and we can drop two other services we no longer need.  We have new iPhone 7's and a new iPad.  Long term we are saving more than $100 per month.  V-Who?

I am "one of those" that became a member to take advantage of the Verizon offer.  I signed up.  I am legal.   I own a converter school bus now titled as a Motor Home.  I think that qualifies me to join FMCA.  I called today to cancel only because I am not yet on the road as my Husband passed away last year & as a 66 yr old widow I am attempting to finish out the conversion on my own, learning as I go.  I have learned electrical & plumbing & carpentry from trial & error as I have no one to assist me with what I have left to do in order to become mobile.  I had planned all along to join FMCA once we got on the road but signed up prematurely to take advantage of the Verizon/FMCA  offer.  I feel I may have yet another year to sell off my belongings, sell the house, install holding tanks & and run lines to hook up the generator that Hubby never got to & get on the road full time as Hubby & I originally planned.  In the meantime I am living full time in my Motor Home while dealing with all I need to do.  

I feel from the various groups I follow that a very few may have "exaggerated the truth" in order to join.  Most that I read are actual qualifying people like me.  Thanks, for letting me give you my side of the story.  Sharlene

Booger1k,

Please don't go. Make friends here. Ask questions about your conversion. There are many members on this forum that can help in answering questions.

Consider the other benefits and especially the Travel Assist benefit.  It is worth the small yearly payment all by itself.

1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

Booger1k,

Please don't go. Make friends here. Ask questions about your conversion. There are many members on this forum that can help in answering questions.

Consider the other benefits and especially the Travel Assist benefit.  It is worth the small yearly payment all by itself.

I  already have another road service that I have no need for that I joined when we first got the bus.  I signed up for multiyears & actually have renewed anticipating getting on the road sooner.   I have been paying yearly for tags & insurance on a vehicle to sit in the yard.  Then Hubby got diagnosed with cancer & within 5 months he was gone.  I just can't afford to be paying for anymore services that I really can't take advantage of because of my new situation.  My timeline for finishing the conversion & getting on the road have been altered immensely.  Have no fear....I'll be back.   Fact is, when one member of a couple die so do the friendships that were formed, I'm finding so I'll need an outlet to get to meet and make new friends.    If any of you want to keep in touch I can be reached at FB (name: Sharlene Lacas) or email me@ Booger1k@gmail.com

Sharlene,

Sorry for your loss.

Codos for going ahead with you and your hubbies dream.

Stay with FMCA, there are chapters that have conversions, one comes to mind called the Bus Nuts. They all either did their own conversions or purchased one. They can assist you with anything you need. 

Check back here and let us know how the work is progressing. 

Herman 

Sharlene.  Welcome to the Forum!

What ever your F# is now, should be yours forever...Even if you chose not to renew, it's yours.  FMCA does not re circulate a F#!  How they handle that on "No Coach" or "None qualifying Coach", I have no idea.  You qualified.

You don't need to be a FMCA member to use this Forum and as has been said...we will be happy to help you!

Sorry for your loss, God Bless!

8 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Booger1k,

I second Wayne, and sentiments are with you. I have converted two buses and am working on a schoolie now for my daughter and son inlaw. Many questions come while converting and will be glad in helping with answers. If you don't already have the BUS CONVERTERS BIBLE, you really need one, just search on google for that name. And welcome to the forum.

The whole thing has been weird from the beginning starting when Herman mentioned the plan here but would only say to call the FMCA office.  As things progressed and it went viral on the WWW it was clear the plan was doomed based upon the OmniLynx and Millenicom deals and FMCA's inability to control who became a member.  I was only glad that it imploded early so the only real problem will be when the magazine comes out with the big announcement of a none existent member benefit.

I decided to push things a bit, and Googled a bunch of email addresses of Verizon executives, starting with the CEO. 

'lowell.mcadam@verizon.com'; 'martin.burvill@verizon.com'; 'Eric.Cevis@verizon.com'; 'roy.chestnutt@verizon.com'; 'Kenneth.Dixon@verizon.com'; 'ronan.dunne@verizon.com'; 'tami.erwin@verizon.com'; 'George.Fischer@verizon.com'

I sent off my complaint yesterday, after trying unsuccessfully to get a better deal directly from Verizon.

I got a pretty quick response from Tiffany O., Executive Relations, Verizon Wireless (cersWEExecutiveRelations@VerizonWireless.com). She promised to look into it, and to get back to me. She got back to me today, with what was essentially "too bad, so sad"  - there was a "misunderstanding" that was the reason the deal was pulled (that's all she would say, although she mentioned something about FMCA being a reseller that wasn't right). When I asked her if she could at least offer something better than what was on their website, the answer was no. I made it very clear that this was not a satisfying answer, that what Verizon did was underhanded and possibly a bait-and-switch misrepresentation, and that it was very clear from the promotional materials that the plan was being administered by FMCA. I also said that I doubted very much there was a misunderstanding, except in the number of people who might accept the offer - and that that didn't sound like a legal basis for pulling the deal. I may have mentioned I'm an attorney and used class action language ("persons similarly situated"). (I am not personally that kind of attorney, however.)

Please feel free to let these folks know how disappointed and angry you are with what Verizon did.

I was one of the 5000 who got the email about the plan from FMCA, and was in the "beta test" group of existing members.  I waited a couple of days before clicking the link and filling out the online form, and then it was a couple of days more before I got a call from FMCA to get my billing info.  At that time, the rep told me the June shipment allotment had already been filled, but I was scheduled to receive my hotspot when they shipped the July allotment on the 21st.  I was planning on cancelling my existing verizon hotspot plan, and may have done so before it renewed for another month if I had been in the June shipment group. If I had cancelled my current Verizon plan, I would not have been able to go back and get the same data only plan from Verizon, as my plan is no longer offered.

This makes me think there may be some number of FMCA members that may have cancelled an existing data plan in anticipation of the FMCA plan they had signed up for, and now are left in a situation where they can't get back to a plan with at least as much unthrottled data at the same cost as they had before switching to the now defunct FMCA plan.  Seems like there could be a population of folks that have suffered actual damages as a result of Verizon pulling the plug, and those people may well make up a group that would be eligible for a class action.

This is NOT Verizon's fault.  You can write anyone you like but that's not going to change the facts.  FMCA told Verizon they wanted to offer a plan to their members and then Verizon started reading all those posts making it clear that FMCA had no plans in place to limit this plan to motorhome owners (or even RV owners) and they pulled the plan based upon faulty information.  Verizon offers unlimited plans to a number of business interests but those businesses have a known number of employees.  This is not that and I suspect that FMCA tried to convince Verizon that it was.

I got lucky that it imploded so quickly as I had already called Sprint to cancel my truly unlimited plan in preparation for this plan.  I was able to call Sprint and have them NOT cancel my plan.  Had it gone a few days longer I would have been screwed twice!

"Verizon started reading all those posts making it clear that FMCA had no plans in place to limit this plan to motorhome owners (or even RV owners)"

I'm not familiar with the allegation that FMCA didn't limit membership, and thus access to this plan, to MH owners - it is part of the enrollment process, and I was asked whether I was a MH owner and asked for information about my coach in order to sign up. Could people lie about owning a MH? I suppose so. But Verizon should have known that as part of their due diligence - it is unreasonable to assume they didn't know that the membership in FMCA might grow based on this hotspot plan.

Well, you should be!  At least one poster said "I don't have an RV but I plan to get one in the future" and one said they that they have an RV but it would not quality for FMCA.  FMCA has nothing in place to prevent anyone from anywhere from joining this group and that was the ultimate downfall of this agreement.  Just look at the folks that are now demanding a dues refund from FMCA.  They only joined FMCA to get the Verizon plan and now that the plan is not going to be available they have no interest in being associated with FMCA.

Well, if there is a limitation in the bylaws requiring MH ownership, then there needs to be a way of verifying it - otherwise, it is meaningless. As for the implied denigration of new members who only joined MFCA to get the Verizon plan, but who had no actual interest in the group - what skin would that be off your nose, but for the influx in membership "forcing" Verizon to renege on the plan? Seems to me, an influx of member dues for FMCA of "silent partners" who ask nothing else of the group but to be allowed to pay dues and get a good wifi rate plan would be ideal.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am an owner of a motorhome (since 2014, including full-timing for 8 months) who joined FMCA for the rate plan - I'm looking over the other benefits before I decide whether membership is worth it, since I have insurance that includes towing, and am a GoodSam and KOA member too.

Dianahc, do you also have a Travel Assistant Plan? That is the plan that if you get sick on the road and need emergency transportation back to you base, FMCA Travel Assist will provide it, and get you motorhome back to your home base.

6 hours ago, BillAdams said:

This is NOT Verizon's fault......................................

Can you 100% prove this statement? No you can't

Have you been around long enough to remember back to 2011 when VZ pulled the same stunt?

Wayne - I think that is included in our insurance - but I will go look. That could be a valuable benefit, to be sure. I have driven the RV once - for about 60 miles of relatively flat uncrowded highway in good weather, 3 years ago - but I would hate to HAVE to do it for any length of time, including merging, parking, etc. - you can see how comfortable I was ... 

Andretti_-2.jpg

My significant other, has a plan with Verizon that is similar to the one offered...$60 per month, thru her business!  She was not at all interested in the FMCA/Verizon that was offered to her and about 25 others, back 10 weeks ago! 

Time to move on!  I'm only saddened by the thought that innocent people are going to take the hit, for the mistake done by others!  Some will pay by my NO Vote in 3 weeks! :angry: