tireman9

Power Refrigerator Via Inverter?

RE back-feed.  I did not think that if I applied 110v to the output side of a AC>DC converter it would act like  a DC > AC  Inverter.

I picked up a DPDT switch.

Am looking for ways to run cords to various devices. Not a lot of room in my Class-C

Roger,

If you are talking about the outlet that the refrigerator is plugged into, and provide it with 120 VAC from an inverter, it will "back-feed" the whole main breaker box unless the refrigerator breaker is turned off.

The DPDT switch should be easy to install: All wires to have hot, neutral and ground unless the new inverter specifically says no ground.

Choose a location near the refrigerator.  Use an extension cord (male end only) that is plugged into the factory refrigerator outlet and wire it to one side of the DPDT switch.

Run a wire from the new inverter to the other side of the DPDT.

Then run a new wire from the DPDT to the refrigerator 120 VAC cord.  Your choice if this is hard wired or a plug.

54 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Roger,

If you are talking about the outlet that the refrigerator is plugged into, and provide it with 120 VAC from an inverter, it will "back-feed" the whole main breaker box unless the refrigerator breaker is turned off.

The DPDT switch should be easy to install: All wires to have hot, neutral and ground unless the new inverter specifically says no ground.

Choose a location near the refrigerator.  Use an extension cord (male end only) that is plugged into the factory refrigerator outlet and wire it to one side of the DPDT switch.

Run a wire from the new inverter to the other side of the DPDT.

Then run a new wire from the DPDT to the refrigerator 120 VAC cord.  Your choice if this is hard wired or a plug.

According to the schematic my Refrig is wired directly to the 110v line that runs to the shore power plug.  No Inverter was provided by Coachmen I have no 110v AC if I am not plugged into shore power.

Short term (on trip to Indy)  I will shut off breaker at power center to isolate refrig 110v circuit. Then when others can look at what i have at Indy we can decide best next step.

We never run anything on 110v when driving.

51 minutes ago, Tireman9 said:

According to the schematic my Refrig is wired directly to the 110v line that runs to the shore power plug.  No Inverter was provided by Coachmen I have no 110v AC if I am not plugged into shore power.

Roger,

That would be quite shocking (pun intended).  So, shore power does not come into the main 120 VAC breaker box and then breakers for refrigerator, outlets, roof A/C, etc in that box supply each appliance??

The reason that would be against code is that it is very doubtful that the wiring to the refrigerator is large-gauge. And, if wired directly to a 30 amp outlet, the wire, not a breaker or fuse would serve as the breaker/fuse in the event that there was a short at the refrigerator end. Said another way, there would be no 10 or 15 amp breaker protecting it.

To all who replied:

Well I did finally pay attention to the combined knowledge of the group here. I have a DPDT switch that selects Shore Power or RV inverter power. The Inverter is wired to a relay that gets it's power through a lighted switch to the Ignition so I can't drain the coach battery by running the inverter.

I will be at Indy Monday late afternoon till Sat Noon after my last Seminar. Drop me a message if you are interested in seeing the install and leave your contact info so I can call you.

I am scheduled to give 6 seminars so have a rather full schedule of Genealogy and Tire seminars. (at least I know those topics :lol:

Likewise, my Damon Astoria is not equipped with an inverter.  As such, while traveling I have to operate my Norcold NX841 refrigerator on propane if I'm not operating the generator.  Is it worth the time / cost to install an inverter simply to avoid operating the frig on propane?   In my 45 years of enjoying an RV (first my parents' travel trailer, then my travel trailer then my motorhome) I've never experienced any problems operating a frig on propane while traveling.

I'm not a "electrical" do-it-yourself person and presume installing an inverter is not a first time DIY electrical project....

41 minutes ago, fagnaml said:

I'm not a "electrical" do-it-yourself person and presume installing an inverter is not a first time DIY electrical project....

Yes, a reasonable conclusion.

There is exactly ZERO need or reason to install an inverter on an RV (propane) fridge.  Most of these kinds of discussions are based upon folks removing their RV fridge and installing a household fridge with only works on 120V.

1 hour ago, BillAdams said:

There is exactly ZERO need or reason to install an inverter on an RV (propane) fridge.  Most of these kinds of discussions are based upon folks removing their RV fridge and installing a household fridge with only works on 120V.

Perhaps it might be enlightening if you read the previous post in the thread. The OP Tireman9 wants to run his refrigerator on 120V ONLY. There fore he would need a 120V power supply.;)

Bill

4 hours ago, BillAdams said:

The reason you need an inverter for your rv refrigerator is if you want to run it on 110 volt while driving and not on propane you can.

Speaking of propane...is it perfectly safe ?? 

My owners manual says to not use the propane when traveling or refuelling... but, the dealership who sold me the rig says they travel with their units with the propane on all the time. 

Plus, they pointed out that it takes a lot to ignite Diesel and the risk of running the propane for the refrigerator is not anything to be concerned about.. 

Do you agree? 

Yes, it is perfectly safe.  You should turn the fridge off while re-fueling to prevent the extremely rare possibility that you could cause a fire with the fumes while fueling.  However, since you are diesel powered I would not turn it off while pumping diesel.

Jim S --

No my 2007 Damon Astoria does not have an inverter and as best I can tell from the original sales brochure an inverter was not an option for the "base model" that I have.  The sales brochure shows that a 1000 watt inverter was an option for the higher-end "Pacifica" edition of the Astoria.

For the other forum responders --

During my many years of travel trailer days with my parents and then my own T-T, operating the refrigerator on propane while traveling was the only option to keep the frig and its contents cold (those T-T's did not have inverters).  No problems ever happened operating those refrigerators which is the general experience of the forum.   My only thought of adding an inverter was if the forum's experience was traveling with a refrigerator in propane mode was not safe.   Hence, the idea of adding an inverter goes to "probably never" list of ideas.

Thanks for all of the prompt responses and the usual great guidance!!

We ran both coach refrigerators on propane while between stops. If you feel uncomfortable doing so and need to have the refrigerator on while in route somewhere, perhaps the inverter installation is the way to go, or replace the refrigerator with a residential type. At the end of the day we make choices that WE can live with, might not be main stream or what the Jones family does but you should do what makes you feel comfortable within yourself.

My standard practice when I had a propane refrigerator was to turn it on (auto)2 days before I left and turn it off 2 days after I got home. 

Bill

We have an inverter on our rig... but, I'd prefer to use the propane while traveling.. UNLESS we stop somewhere plug in and use shore power...We can easily do that with our 3-way unit.... 

Since we are Diesel powered it appears that it's perfectly safe to refuel and not worry about that causing any problems. 

On 7/13/2017 at 0:35 AM, MWeiner said:

Speaking of propane...is it perfectly safe ?? 

My owners manual says to not use the propane when traveling or refuelling... but, the dealership who sold me the rig says they travel with their units with the propane on all the time. 

Plus, they pointed out that it takes a lot to ignite Diesel and the risk of running the propane for the refrigerator is not anything to be concerned about.. 

Do you agree? 

Just a thought, what if someone is fueling with gas near you and happens to be near you propane  flame? Just a little food for thought.

10 minutes ago, ROYBON said:

Just a thought, what if someone is fueling with gas near you and happens to be near you propane  flame? Just a little food for thought.

Exactly correct.

It is not just your fueling, but the guy who may be filling across the island from you.

59 minutes ago, ROYBON said:

My exact thought also, especially if you are in a class B and probably not using the truck stop truck (diesel only) section.

You know what, that is perfect information.. that's why I joined the forum.

Something to think about.... thank you....

When inquired about that with my dealership, they told me NOT to worry about it.

Well, I just had another conversation with the dealership that sold me the coach, and based upon the good feedback I learned here today on the forum,  I'm going to start switching to battery power when I'm on the road.... for safety reasons... thanks. 

I'm getting solar panels installed very soon, so, this should NOT be any problem for me anyway.  I'll just have to remember to switch the system back to propane or electric when I stop for a long period of time as my refrigerator doesn't have an automatic setting.... guess that will be my first upgrade 😁😁😁LOL