nadojan

Refrig Won't Cool On LP But Works Fine On AC

Noticed this last trip that our Dometic refrig was not cooling while on LP...but seemed to be working fine on AC. What should we look at to fix the problem? The cooling unit is only two years old...replaced in 2015. 

nadojan,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Since it cools on 120 VAC, the cooling unit is probably just fine.

When was the last time you did a "burner area tune-up"?  Takes no parts and just basic tools.

You might also tell us if this happens when parked or only when driving.

And how far into the cycle does it get:

Igniter clicks (you can hear it at refrigerator outside access door)

Gas valve opens ( you can smell gas/feel the gas valve click open)

Flame appears-- may have to remove the small tin cover to see it, but can probably look in from the side.

Flame continues-- what size is it?

It sounds like you might have insect activity in the burner area. Take the shield(s) off and inspect the burner area and clean as necessary using a soft bristle brush and a can of compressed air to blow out the dirt.

It is also possible that your gas valve is not working for some reason. If this is the case I would (first) look for loose connections and/or corroded connections.

I recently removed my refrigerator and could not believe how many Mud Daubers had camped out in the fridge area (I definitely installed insect screens when I reinstalled the refrigerator).

You might also want to check the electronics board. On my dometic there are 2. The upper (behind the settings control - inside the mh) and the lower - outside accessible. Dometic website will walk you through the process of elimination on how to determine if it is the board. I replaced my cooling unit 2 years ago and this year fridge cooled on AC but not LP. Through the website I determined the board was bad and replaced it. All is fine again.

While I agree, it could be some expensive item (PC board, gas valve, etc), I would sure start with the most common cause, one that takes no parts and only a few minutes to do-- the burner area tune-up.

It includes:

Cleaning the burner tube

Cleaning and setting gap for the ignitor

Cleaning gas jet

Please do let us know what you find.