dcduhe

Whistling Noise

We just completed a 4,000-mile journey, and besides a fan belt failure, we have developed a loud whistling or howling noise that seems to be coming from around the right mirror. It seems to be speed-related because most of the time it begins around 65 mph or if the wind is really blowing hard, especially a crosswind. Any ideas will be appreciated.

David Duhe

David, Stay below 65 and don't drive with a crosswind. Ha Ha.

Has you mirror been moved one way or the other? If you mirror housing was moved somehow and you just readjusted the mirror, you may have created an unusual air path that could cause the noise. Is the mirror protruding past the housing? If so, you might reposition the housing and then adjust the mirror so it doesn't extend past the housing.

Hope this helps.

I have a similiar problem and the shop tells me that I have a wind leak either around the right side of the windshield or around the door. they say a glass shop can pump in sealer behind the rubber that the glass seats in and reseal the windshield. the door seal can be shimmed out or replaced. I will try first one and then the other come spring time.

I also notice that this being on the right side It is usually heard when going around a curve to the left. The tech sez that is because the body and windshield opening do a little flexxing when going around curves at hiway speed.

Bebop

Rexhall Rexair

To help isolate/identify the source of the whistle, buy a roll of the 1" wide blue painter's tape. Use it on different areas until you have identified the source of the noise.

Brett Wolfe

Hi David,

This is a long shot for you, but it does stop wind noise. If the windows in your coach have weep holes in the bottom window frame try this. Put some black electrical tape over the weep holes. The weep holes have been a source of wind noise since my first coach in 1978.

This may be a subject for "goofus trick of the day," but when I had a bad air whistle, I put up with it for two days, then discovered I had not properly latched the third window back on the passenger side. Driving motion cracked it open a little at a time, then it finally got bad enough and it was obvious. Normally I keep that blind closed, or I would have found it sooner.

I like the blue tape idea, simple and direct. Thanks, Brett.

Another place that makes air noise is around the door. The seal around the door on mine was OK but where the hinges are there is no seal. You could put some small thin rubber foam on one side of the hinges. I had the same noise it didn'tmatter how fast the noise was made by a crosswind. Hope this helps.

Steve Mosher

Hi David,

This is a long shot for you, but it does stop wind noise. If the windows in your coach have weep holes in the bottom window frame try this. Put some black electrical tape over the weep holes. The weep holes have been a source of wind noise since my first coach in 1978.

A good temporary or diagnostic idea. But, those weep holes are to allow condensation on the inside of the windows as well as any water that gets past the gaskets from the outside to drain.

If you do identify these weep holes as the source of your noise, depending on exact window design, there are "covers" available for them that will block wind, but still allow them to drain.

Brett Wolfe

I have experienced a similar speed related noise. Mine is harder to localize though; either the mirrors or windshield is my bet. I tried sealants and caulk; and tape as someone else recommended to isolate the "leak". I still have the noise. A friend with a Tiffin Phaeton found a location where his windshield under the pressure of driving would touch the dash and created a harmonic. An exacto knife solved his problem. I'm still trying to find mine!

Thanks for all the advice, it seems that I have a lot of places to begin looking, one other stupid question could the open trumpet horns make this noise?

Thanks for all the advice, it seems that I have a lot of places to begin looking, one other stupid question could the open trumpet horns make this noise?

It is possible-- do you hear the source of the noise that high up?

Tape them off to determine if they are the cause.

Brett Wolfe

It is possible-- do you hear the source of the noise that high up?

Tape them off to determine if they are the cause.

Brett Wolfe

Yes sometimes it seems the noise is high up in that corner and other times it seems around the mirror, this weekend I start the process of elimination.

I have a very similar complaint although the source of the whistling appears to be high up, above the window to the rear of the passenger side seat. I have tried to isolate without success, including the various taping techniques mentioned in other replies. I recall seeing a simliar posting somewhere where the source was found to be caused by the awning post, sort of a wind tunneling effect. I would be curious of others have found this to be the case and if so how they resolved the noise. Safe travels to all.

We have a Newmar Allstar and had a similar air noise in the upper door/mirror area. In our case it was the wedge block used to air lock the door when air pressure in the coach is up. It was broken. We were never told that you could not open and shut the door when the parking brakes were not on. Apparently, when you do open and shut the door, this nylon piece breaks. Our service tech says he has one customer with a similar lock that has been through several. When it breaks, you get excessive air noise. When it is working, it tightens the door fit for the road.

With your door open, check the door frame itself up high on the hinge side. That is where this wedge block is located. There is a corresponding pin on the coach part of the door frame that is activated by air pressure from the coach air. If the wedge block looks like it is broken, this could be the problem. It was for us.

Good luck,

Don

To help isolate/identify the source of the whistle, buy a roll of the 1" wide blue painter's tape. Use it on different areas until you have identified the source of the noise.

Brett Wolfe

Thanks for the advice. This worked for me.

A good temporary or diagnostic idea. But, those weep holes are to allow condensation on the inside of the windows as well as any water that gets past the gaskets from the outside to drain.

If you do identify these weep holes as the source of your noise, depending on exact window design, there are "covers" available for them that will block wind, but still allow them to drain.

Brett Wolfe

Can you provide a source ( web site or company name, etc.) for the weeping hole covers ?

Gary Schultz