snoway95

2018 Chevy Equinox Flat Tow

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:48 AM, robandbarb said:

I tried this and it works. Make sure you have all your accessories turned off. My 2018 Equinox is wired to charge battery as we drive and the 12 volt accessory plug is hot for my Patriot 2 Braking system power. Hope this helps someone. It stopped chiming right at 30 minutes.

How do you like your Patriot II on the 2018 Equinox? Is it working well for you and do you have to remove it to start and run the car at fuel stops? I just bought a 18 Equinox yesterday and am now getting it ready to tow for our first RV trip. What tow bar are you using? Thanks for any info.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, hermanmullins said:

There is information in this months magazine about the Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain wobble. It is on page 14 in the Readers Forum.

It is something that all Equinox and Terrain owners should read and heed.

Herman

I have searched the Readers Forum section of both the July and Aug. 2017 hard copy editions editions of my Family Motor Coaching Mag. and couldn't find this article. Could you give me a little help either by a link or month of Mag. I would appreciate it. I am a newbie and just bought a 2018 Equinox for our first flat towing experience. Thank you.

On 6/27/2017 at 9:21 AM, kaypsmith said:

Here is an interesting article about your question, apparently the 2018 is the first year that it can be towed 4 down with AWD. It is nice to know that GM has tackled this problem for us RV'ers. http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/09/how-to-properly-tow-a-chevrolet-equinox-with-an-rv/

We have been Towing our Equinox 2016 AWD in TOAD and had switch installed to cut out fuse 32

Hello from the "new kid"   I just purchased a 2018 LT FW Equinox after mistakenly buying  the same car in gas AWD.   I learned a painful (and expensive) lesson that only the diesel AWD in the 2018 model year is flat towable.   We escalated to Warren and were given a definitive answer - no flat towing gas AWD.   I poked at them to see if it was simply a matter of them not testing it or perhaps the drive train components are different between the gas and diesel AWD.   All I got were blank stares so I now own a different car.

On the chance that some of the original parties on this thread are still active, I'm interested in knowing about any updates on the wiring.   I have a 2005 Saturn Vue that I've been towing without problems since 2008.   I put a trailer hitch and wiring onto that car and cut into the trailer wiring to back feed the Vue's lights from the MH.   At that point, some had reported getting stopped by the local police for not having a license plate light on the toad and my solution fixes that problem.  So, without diodes,  I just fed the running light system on the Vue.  When I pulled the running lights on my motor home,  ALL of the Vue's running lights came on.  I had switched out all of the motor home's bulbs to  LEDs so there wasn't too much voltage drop.   I just have to make sure that the ground connection on the Vue back to the MH stays solid.

I'm toying with trying the same wiring setup on the Equinox.   I feed separate stop and turn signals from the MH because the Vue had separate bulbs for those.   I haven't gotten far enough on the Equinox to see if it is the same setup..  On original testing with the Vue, I built a custom wiring harness  from the MH connection to the back of the Vue and just tapped into it for the test.  I figured that worst that was going to happen was blowing a fuse but  I never did.   I had to pull a 30amp fuse to tow the Vue and rigged a by-pass with a switch from the fuse box back to the driver's compartment.  I would throw that switch before hooking up the wiring connector from the MH but forgot that switch a couple of times and still didn't ever have problems.

Any help, suggestions are welcomed.  I've been an Equinox owner all of two days.

When it states accessories should be turned off on the equinox be sure you go to" settings" on the big display screen and select "display" to off, now the screen is really off.