wrmfazio

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Good morning everyone, first time RV owners (rented before) purchased a 2014 TiffIn Allegro Red and we are thrilled having brought it home yesterday.  Starting to dive into all the little details of RV ownership.  Former owner (a wonderful person which made the purchase that much more fantastic) had a tire pressure monitoring system which he transferred to his new coach.  Question, are these systems worth the price/used by many owners?  Thanks for helping us newbies!

Three years ago when I owned a tandem axle 30' travel trailer, I suffered a flat tire on the curb side of the trailer while traveling on I-10 across the Atchafalaya Basis in southern Louisiana.   I didn't know that a tire had gone flat until I felt some trailer sway and saw in my rear view mirror pieces of tire and pieces of the plastic fender flying.   Changing a flat tire on a very busy I-10 was a harrowing experience.   I didn't know about tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) for RVs until I purchased a motorhome and learned about TPMS from this forum.   I wish I would have known about RV TPMS's before I had my bad travel trailer event.

I purchased the Tire Minder system for my motorhome from Amazon at a noticeably lower price than Camping World.  I have ten tire pressure transmitters.  One for each of the six tires on the motorhome and one for each tire of my Jeep Wrangler.  I also purchased the recommended signal booster for the system.  Knowing tire pressure and tire temperature while traveling gives me great confidence and comfort that I will avoid a major incident involving a tire failure.  The Tire Minder system will let me know a problem is starting before a tire blow out happens.

A TPMS system is highly recommended and would be a great birthday or Christmas present !

Yes they are almost a requirement, just be careful on the brand you purchase. We had Pressure Pro in the last coach and it worked flawlessly, this coach I cheaped out and bought one made by Innotech. Today while parked I got an alarm the my right rear inner tire somehow added 50 lbs to itself. Then an hour later same time got an alarm it was loosing air, yep back to its normal pressure. In reality nothing ever changed, just another false alarm! That just moved to the top of my list for replacement ASAP! 

I also have had sensors fall apart internally. 

I was told Tireminder is another problematic unit. I have no experience with that brand.

I've had the Tire Minder system for two years and have had no problems.   I purchased the TM77 system (which came with six transmitters), the Rhino signal booster and four additional transmitters.  Total cost was ~$700.  I asked for nothing but money from the wife and kids for Christmas two years ago to cover most of the cost.

TM-77 system --> https://tireminder.com/tire-pressure-monitoring-systems/tireminder-tm-77

Rhino Signal Booster --> https://www.amazon.com/TireMinder-Rhino-Signal-Booster-Strength/dp/B06XZ13LRB/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1498604508&sr=8-12&keywords=tireminder

Transmitters --> https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Brass-Transmitters-TireMinder-TMG400C/dp/B00HAMP79K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1498604678&sr=8-4&keywords=tireminder+tpms

I see from the links the monitor has slightly changed but the sensors are identical. I have had two so far break, the ground strap that secures the battery under the cap has failed/ fell off. Before any of that the false reading are so bad I have actually considered running without any TPMS. The most frustrating one is you pull up to a long light at dusk as the tires begin to cool the alarm starts, "pressure loss!!!!!!""""" All that's happening is the tires are cooling down.

now the Toad only has two sensors, two less alarms ringing when the sun goes down.

My Pressure Pro system had NOT one false alarm ever. Two times I had alarms and two times they were legitimate.

I want a system with replaceable batteries in the sensors and a monitor that can be hard wired. any other recommended products?

13 minutes ago, jleamont said:

I believe those are old systems.  I think they were made by the same mfg however the monitor with the Tire Minder has Minder Research software.  The current Tire Minder that I have is a blue tooth with reading on my iPhone.

I know the OP is asking about TPMS but another just as important item is a EMS surge and electric protection device. I use Progressive Industries.

Incredible response and information...thanks so very much to everyone - looks like some additional money needed to get safely on the road!

On 6/27/2017 at 6:17 PM, jleamont said:

Yes they are almost a requirement, just be careful on the brand you purchase. We had Pressure Pro in the last coach and it worked flawlessly, this coach I cheaped out and bought one made by Innotech. Today while parked I got an alarm the my right rear inner tire somehow added 50 lbs to itself. Then an hour later same time got an alarm it was loosing air, yep back to its normal pressure. In reality nothing ever changed, just another false alarm! That just moved to the top of my list for replacement ASAP! 

I also have had sensors fall apart internally. 

I was told Tireminder is another problematic unit. I have no experience with that brand.

You say it showed +50 psi when parked. While heat soak from hot brakes can warm a tire, that sounds a bit excessive. There wasn't another RV parked nearby by any chance?

RE TPMS

I bought Tire Traker TT500 system. I like the Lifetime Warranty, the ability to program my own warning levels and the cool "Morning Reset" mode to allow me to get cold inflation readings in the AM without having to get outside the RV.

I will be at Indy if anyone wants to see my system.  Send me a message so we can connect.

Last night I go woken up. 250 psi on the right rear inner. The coach had been parked for 4 hours and it rained, ambient temperature was 68 degrees :lol:. They were at 115 when we parked for the night. It took all I had in me not to throw it out the window and take a shot at it :angry:

Needless to say I am in the market for a new TPMS. What does everyone recommend and why? I only want one that I can replace the batteries in the sensors and I don't need flow through sensors, it also must be a direct plug in not rechargeable. No need for Bluetooth, basic and simple are best...monitor and sensors, maybe an external antenna since the coach is so long.

Joe,

Look at TST's TPMS system(s).

TST TPMS

I have had mine for quite a while. First the non-replaceable battery ones and then they gave me a good deal on replacements. They have been quick to back-up the brand.

p.s., I have the flow through on the MH and the non-flow through on the TOAD.  Toad has vogue tires and flow-through would stick out to much.

I'm using a system made by Truck System Technologies Inc.  ,

www.TSTtruck.com

Has anyone ever had any experience with this company....they came highly recommended.

Thanks, I see that somehow I missed reading this...

Sounds like the TST system is pretty good? 

They were VERY ACCESSIBLE on the phone with any questions I had.

System works pretty good, but,  had false alarm.probably due to pilot error, LOL.😂

After some research, digging and searching the web for reviews, other RV forums and looking into what my "must haves" were I ordered this system below. Hard wired was a big one with me as the dash 12v plug on our coach is in a spot that is easily bumped while entering and exiting the coach and I don't want to be bothered looking at it to make sure its adequately charged, I have enough to do for a pre trip inspection. I called their tech support spoke to a rep (same guy in the video) and went through all of the scenarios that have been agitating us with the current system and this one doesn't have those problems, I also asked a few owners of the system what they have experienced.  

http://eezrvproduct.com/p/eeztire-tpms-systems-info

Dear all : 

I've owned a Class C, and two class A's.  Perhaps I drive fast and take chances, but none have had a TPMS, and I have 90k + combined.  Reading the 'false alarm' in the threads above not sure I want to add to the other false alarms that keep me awake at night like the smoke detector and carbon monoxide.  I had one tire go down -- due to a faulty stem valve, which left me stranded for around 8 hours waiting for a qualified repairman.   This coach is the first one where it looks like I have to replace the tires, thankomg Michelin for the XRV sidewalls not lasting five years. 

On 7/12/2017 at 1:13 PM, jleamont said:

After some research, digging and searching the web for reviews, other RV forums and looking into what my "must haves" were I ordered this system below. Hard wired was a big one with me as the dash 12v plug on our coach is in a spot that is easily bumped while entering and exiting the coach and I don't want to be bothered looking at it to make sure its adequately charged, I have enough to do for a pre trip inspection. I called their tech support spoke to a rep (same guy in the video) and went through all of the scenarios that have been agitating us with the current system and this one doesn't have those problems, I also asked a few owners of the system what they have experienced.  

http://eezrvproduct.com/p/eeztire-tpms-systems-info

Any TPMS monitor can be hard wired for 12v.

I have never had a false alarm. If when setting up the monitor for high temp or low pressure etc. and the limits are to close to the pressure setting, then yes it will register what is set in the device.  TST will program the monitor for anyone that purchase it if they feel they cannot do it.

A TPMS is just that - a monitor.  Consider one of the duals goes below an acceptable pressure. A monitor will tell you immediately and let you pull off to the side.  Consider that without a monitor many miles will be driven on the other dual supporting all the weight. This typically results in having to purchase two new tires instead of one. 

If someone doesn't have a TPMS, how often do they check the air in the tires.  Personally, before having a TPMS, I checked the air prior to leaving anywhere I was parked for a day.  The only problem with that method is that upon leaving the parking space a nail or object could puncture a tire on a dual and one would not know it until the next time.

Consider a slow leak in the front tire. A TPMS would warn of the situation and allow time to pull over before a blow out occurred.

It is just an insurance policy like any insurance policy, it is there when you need it.

A TPMS is a very good idea... especially if you have dual wheels in the back. It's also essential to have valve extensions on the rear wheels. On a recent trip, we experienced an alarm and discovered that we had a couple of defective valve extensions.  A good visual and audible aid for something as important as tires in an RV is a PRUDENT investment. It doesn't cost that much and the safety benefit greatly outweighs the extra expense.