oscarpower

Palisades, Co to Rio Rancho, NM

Question

On our trip West this summer, we will be going from Palisades, CO to Rio Rancho, NM.  Google map gives us three routes.  

1)  The shortest is straight South thru Silverton and Durango, does anyone know if it is okay to go thru those mountains in a 28' class C with tow?  

2)  The second option is 40 min longer, to go a little West towards Moab, UT and Cortes, CO.

One time we went thru Colorado mountains we were "caught" in a Pass.  It was dirt only and everything rattled in the RV!  Not again!!

Thank you,

Jocelynn and Oscar Power

Gainesville, FL

7 answers to this question

I used US550 from RidgwayCo thru Silverton to Durango driving  a 40 ft Phaeton and towing a Subaru Forester. Think that it was 2014 or so. The first 8 or 9 miles south of  Ouray are not for the "faint of heart."  Beautiful ride though. 

The second route you mentioned is probably is probably CO 141. You pick that one up off of US50 below Grand Junction. Truckers use it a lot. Takes you south to US491 then south to Cortez.

Two questions, as you are in some SERIOUS mountains:

What are you driving/towing?

How much experience do you have in serious mountains/very technical driving?

Without answers to both, it would be really hard to give advice.

The second route already mentioned is not "serious" and that is why local trucking companies use it. By the time Oscar gets to Palisades Colorado, he will have some mountain driving experience if he doesn't already. As I mentioned the first 8 or 9 miles on US550 is not for the "faint of heart."  After that stretch, common sense comes into play. 

There is a third way that is pretty, but less mountainous. West out of Ridgway on CO 62 to CO 145 then south to Dolores and then east on CO 184 to US160 and on to Durango. Oscar is driving a 28footer as mentioned in his question. Toad? Probably something proportional to his Class C.

I noticed in his question that he has already mentioned that he was "caught" in a mountain pass in Colorado that was dirt covered.  Perhaps Cottonwood Pass between the Taylor Park Reservoir and BuenaVista. It is gravel/ dirt , single lane with pull outs for opposing traffic. Tops out at 12,126 feet then on to Buena Vista. We have been there and done that in our first Class A. 

Regardless/ sounds qualified to me.😉

Thank you Obedb, I will look into your options.  Yes, my husband has driven thru many mountains and we've been all over the states... but we need our 2004 Concord Coachmen to last many more years and not take it thru rough areas, if possible!!

Safe travels!

Jocelynn W Power

You are welcome. One of the three options will satisfy I am certain. Otherwise you folks would have run to hundreds of miles out of the way to get to Rio Rancho. US550 south out ot Durango to I-25 will get you almost there, and it is 4 lane and well thought of by most every one.