Sign in to follow this  
gemert

Air Brake Systems

Not the typical post or question I know but...After 3.5 years of ownership of my Beaver I am ready to start learning some of the chassis systems.  I am not a mechanic.  I used to do all my own work on my cars, to include rebuilding a few engines, back in the 70s and 80s so I know I am capable of it.  I just stopped when I had enough money to pay someone else regularly.  Is there anywhere on line to learn these systems?  I've decided to learn the brakes first because I have an air leak that I can hear.  Probably something simple when I can get underneath to look.  But I would like to learn the systems.  I have found the typical diesel mechanic schools on line but no self help type sites.  Any ideas?  Thanks!!

One of the best tutorials is actually on youtube, just type air brakes youtube from your browser search engine, I prefer Google, but any will do fine. If you can hear leaking when someone presses and holds the brake pedal, that is not good, but pretty easy to find if you can be outside and figure which wheel it is coming from. If you hear air when releasing the pedal, that's normal. The old soap and water sprayed onto the fittings will produce bubbles at any leak. One of the most important things to keep a check on with an air brake system is to make sure that all canisters are purged regurally, water buildup in the canisters is not good. 

Gemert,  Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

When asking for information - it helps to know the model year.  Regarding the air brakes, they are very similar, but once in awhile they through in a little something different. Kind of works to keep us all on our toes! LOL

Rich.