lmguidry

Toll Road EZ Pass

Greetings all,

We're getting ready to journey cross country and was wondering about the automatic pay passes on toll roads. Here in WA State, they use a system called EZ Pass that attaches to your front windshield. Don't have one since I avoid the toll roads, but going to unknown roads might cross into one. We're driving a Class A and not sure how it works....will a EZ Pass from WA State work on tolls from other states also? Not sure if i should just opt for the pay by mail option, but that is a higher fee.

Thanks in advance,

Leon

I bought mine from Illinois online. It covers the northeast. Also bought Oklahomas that covers the southwest, but not Texas. The online site listed above will tell what states. Both of my transponders are on the windshield about where a rear view mirror would be lacated. Mine are set update automatically with $40.00. You don't need more because as you travel, the automatic update will keep you going. Both include the motor home and the towed auto. Which is less that putting a transponder on each vehicle. 

In Colorado, it's becoming more complicated:

Some roads are toll roads all the time, and the transponder just gives you a discount on the toll. (E-470/northwest parkway)

Some are HOT lanes (free for 3+ occupants, or toll lanes for fewer occupants).  These require a switchable pass to drive on them for free (I-25 through Denver, and US-36 to/from boulder)

And some lanes are toll all the time like the new express lanes on I-70 through the mountains.

All of these toll lanes & roads allow you to be billed through your license plate, but at a higher rate.  Many of these will save you time, especially if you travel at the rush times, so the cost might be worth it.

https://www.codot.gov/projects/i-25-hov-express-lanes/rates-violations

Chris G.

F3508s

Has FMCA thought about publishing a list of toll roads in each state, and their payment options?

Just did a quick search on e-z pass and found that at least in the northeast it is universal in 1 states. Wickapedia has a list. Maybe you can check WA website and get a feel for where their pass is accepted.

Thanks for all the valuable info everyone. Will check the websites and state DOT offices to see. I try to avoid toll roads but looking at the maps in that area, lots of them around the NE and one wrong turn and boom......   :D  

9 hours ago, rossboyer said:

I bought mine from Illinois online. It covers the northeast. Also bought Oklahomas that covers the southwest, but not Texas. The online site listed above will tell what states. Both of my transponders are on the windshield about where a rear view mirror would be lacated. Mine are set update automatically with $40.00. You don't need more because as you travel, the automatic update will keep you going. Both include the motor home and the towed auto. Which is less that putting a transponder on each vehicle. 

When I got my E-ZPass they explained to me that when the toad is hooked up to the coach to put the toad transponder in the special pouch so it won't read. That way the toad is billed as a "trailer" at a lower rate. There was no extra charge for the transponder for the toad. The toad is billed at a lower rate than the coach so it saves money when driving the toad. 

In Texas it doesn't matter as it reads both and there is no discount. 

There is a push to make all the toll roads inter operative on tolls but because of the diversity in equipment it hasn't happened yet. 

Bill

19 minutes ago, lmguidry said:

Thanks for all the valuable info everyone. Will check the websites and state DOT offices to see. I try to avoid toll roads but looking at the maps in that area, lots of them around the NE and one wrong turn and boom......   :D  

Yes I have found in NE that it is best to stay on main roads to the campground then go explore with the toad. Just beware that summer is road and bridge repair /construction time in that part of the world. I have found several bridges that normally would have been ok for the coach impassable because of road work on them. Luckily I was scouting a route with the toad.:P

Bill

Also Florida has its on sun pass !! Not compatible with ez pass. I live in n.h. And ez pass is accepted in all of the northeast. And yes put toad transponder in special package or you will be charged twice for toad from r.v. Transponder. 

When you are online to order your passes, be sure to check to see if they have a monthly fee.  Illinois does not, but some of the eastern states for their pass that covers the same area do charge a monthly fee.

1 hour ago, Carmar122 said:

Also Florida has its on sun pass !! Not compatible with ez pass. I live in n.h. And ez pass is accepted in all of the northeast. And yes put toad transponder in special package or you will be charged twice for toad from r.v. Transponder. 

Yes when I was in the walk in store in NH the lady made a big point of telling me 3 times. "This does not work in Florida" Apparently they have a problem with people  understanding that.:D

Bill 

North Carolina has the best passes currently for ALL East coast travel. https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/about/facilities.shtml

Your NC Quick Pass E-ZPass and Exterior transponders work in 18 states, listed below. It can be used on toll facilities that accept NC Quick Pass, E-ZPass, SunPass, or Peach Pass as a method of payment.
  1. Delaware
  2. Florida
  3. Georgia
  4. Illinois
  5. Indiana
  6. Kentucky
  1. Maine
  2. Maryland
  3. Massachusetts
  4. New Hampshire
  5. New Jersey
  6. New York
  1. North Carolina
  2. Ohio
  3. Pennsylvania
  4. Rhode Island
  5. Virginia
  6. West Virginia

I got mine in Illinois, even though I live in Wisconsin. They have a pretty good website and don't charge a monthly fee. Theirs works on all the E-Z Pass roads just fine. Not so much in states like Texas though.

One word of caution...

I had mine set to refill when it hit $20. I was traveling from NJ to home in Wisconsin. As I approached the toll booth coming off the bridge from Indiana to Chicago my tag kept failing to read. Paying a toll through the driver's window (about 4"x4") is impossible. The booth on the other side kept me from opening the passenger door. Had to sit and wait for the attendant.

Apparently my tag had triggered the refill point earlier in the day when my balance hit $20. Another $20 was added to the balance (sort of). Then I continued to drive and used up the remaining balance before hitting this last toll booth. I couldn't figure out why there was no money available. Only when I got home and called did I find out that the refill process can take 1-2 business days to fully become available. In other words, that $20 refill that was triggered earlier in the day wouldn't be available to me to use to pay tolls until sometime the next day. Who knew?

Now I have the trigger point set to $40, and when this point is reached another $40 is added to the balance. Haven't had a problem yet since the change.

1 hour ago, troytownsend said:

North Carolina has the best passes currently for ALL East coast travel. https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/about/facilities.shtml

Your NC Quick Pass E-ZPass and Exterior transponders work in 18 states, listed below. It can be used on toll facilities that accept NC Quick Pass, E-ZPass, SunPass, or Peach Pass as a method of payment.
  1. Delaware
  2. Florida
  3. Georgia
  4. Illinois
  5. Indiana
  6. Kentucky
  1. Maine
  2. Maryland
  3. Massachusetts
  4. New Hampshire
  5. New Jersey
  6. New York
  1. North Carolina
  2. Ohio
  3. Pennsylvania
  4. Rhode Island
  5. Virginia
  6. West Virginia

Welcome to the forum.

I see where NC works with EZ-Pass but EZ-Pass still doesn't work in Florida.

https://www.sunpass.com/participatingAgencies

Bill

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

I got mine in Illinois, even though I live in Wisconsin. They have a pretty good website and don't charge a monthly fee. Theirs works on all the E-Z Pass roads just fine. Not so much in states like Texas though.

One word of caution...

I had mine set to refill when it hit $20. I was traveling from NJ to home in Wisconsin. As I approached the toll booth coming off the bridge from Indiana to Chicago my tag kept failing to read. Paying a toll through the driver's window (about 4"x4") is impossible. The booth on the other side kept me from opening the passenger door. Had to sit and wait for the attendant.

Apparently my tag had triggered the refill point earlier in the day when my balance hit $20. Another $20 was added to the balance (sort of). Then I continued to drive and used up the remaining balance before hitting this last toll booth. I couldn't figure out why there was no money available. Only when I got home and called did I find out that the refill process can take 1-2 business days to fully become available. In other words, that $20 refill that was triggered earlier in the day wouldn't be available to me to use to pay tolls until sometime the next day. Who knew?

Now I have the trigger point set to $40, and when this point is reached another $40 is added to the balance. Haven't had a problem yet since the change.

Richard, I am not shure $40.00 would be enough, going from DC to RI in a day I have racked over $100.00 in tolls. Especially the time I got to go over the George Washington Bridge. Don't go over the GW go around to the Tappan Z.

Texas still doesn't have interoperability with EZ-Pass.

Bill

8 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Richard, I am not shure $40.00 would be enough, going from DC to RI in a day I have racked over $100.00 in tolls.

Guess I haven't been lucky enough to cross that path yet. I'll have to rethink my plans...

30 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

Guess I haven't been lucky enough to cross that path yet. I'll have to rethink my plans...

I believe my EZ-Pass is tied to a credit card and replenishes pretty much instantly. 

The George Washington (before I had a pass) was $76.00 cash only.:o

Bill

Bill.

Your right about Texas, I have both of them! :( I also found out last summer, that we have some secondary roads, non toll, that are a lot better surfaced and maintained than the Toll Roads in most States!   I have only paid a toll in NY/Conn once and in my toad once, Chicago, in 51 years of travel...since I have no time limit to work with, I simply go around.  What's an extra day or two, when your out looking at the country?  I figure, if your in a hurry...fly.  With all the Toll's you pay, it would be cheaper!

My Texas EZ Pass is loaded at $20 about once per month on Avg., that also include the TX. Tag!

Don't forget you get a discount on the toll with the EZ Pass, well in NH you do. So the money you spend on the transponder

eventually pays for itself over time. After that the discount goes in your wallet. Not much but wth. 

11 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I believe my EZ-Pass is tied to a credit card and replenishes pretty much instantly. 

YUP! Also if be sure your EZ pass is set for the proper weight range of your coach, learned that the hard way!