bctank

Traveling in Yellowstone

Question

9 answers to this question

Several years ago we visited Yellowstone.  Camped at Bridge Bay campground with our 32' southwind; no hook ups, and some sites are too small or not level enough for motorhomes, but many sites are fine.  Herd of buffalo (bison) came through and destroyed several tents, so we were glad we were in a hard-sided coach.  The ranger program in the evening was wonderful.

Drove through the park in a van, but I agree with previous posters, parking is limited.

Fishing bridge campground does have full hookups, but is like a parking lot.

10 hours ago, bctank said:

How is driving a motorhome through Yellowstone?

Welcome to the forum. Are you talking about just geting through the park or to visit the park? It can be done but don't expect to find any place to park to see the sights. You may also expect long delays for construction and "possible" and real animal sightings. That is where someone thinks they saw some animal and they stop in the middle of the road (there are no shoulders on most of the roads) get out and look for the animal traffic in both directions stop get out and help look for the animal.:D

I was there again last summer. I do not recommend driving your coach into the park. There are some parking lots in some of the big attractions/areas marked for trailer/motorhome but they are either full with motorhomes or have cars parked in them. The first time to Old Faithful it took almost an hour to find a place to park the toad. :lol:

Bill

All the roads in an out of the park are fine for any size RV but I would not recommend it as a way to get to all the various things to see.

It depends on how big the motorhome is. We have taken a 30' motorhome through the park okay but a 40' would not be fun. The roads are narrow in some areas with a lot of traffic congestion in the summer.

BC,

Staying in Yellowstone has some limitations. Fishing Bridge RV Park was the only Park with full hookups. If I remember correctly 40 foot was the top end for length. I think they may have added some longer site.

As said, park and drive your tow to see all the park.

Herman

8 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Welcome to the forum. Are you talking about just geting through the park or to visit the park? It can be done but don't expect to find any place to park to see the sights. You may also expect long delays for construction and "possible" and real animal sightings. That is where someone thinks they saw some animal and they stop in the middle of the road (there are no shoulders on most of the roads) get out and look for the animal traffic in both directions stop get out and help look for the animal.:D

I was there again last summer. I do not recommend driving your coach into the park. There are some parking lots in some of the big attractions/areas marked for trailer/motorhome but they are either full with motorhomes or have cars parked in them. The first time to Old Faithful it took almost an hour to find a place to park the toad. :lol:

Bill

we visited Yellowstone last year and found parking at pullouts at most spots , do no take tower road , I did , and a porche would be tricky there , steep hills , narrow roads , big drop offs and stupid people

99 American Tradition TVS40

Bev and Allen

Alberta

43 minutes ago, roadster27 said:

we visited Yellowstone last year and found parking at pullouts at most spots , do no take tower road , I did , and a porche would be tricky there , steep hills , narrow roads , big drop offs and stupid people

99 American Tradition TVS40

Bev and Allen

Alberta

That is phenomenal, the two times we've been there some places I couldn't park my Jeep. I did drive the MH through Yellowstone from Gardiner to Jackson and only stopped one time because of traffic at a bear jam.

We stayed at Colter Bay RV Park and it was one of our favorite campgrounds!  It is very close to the entrance to Yellowstone as well as for visiting Jackson Hole.  We drove our Jeep into Yellowstone. I wouldn't want to drive the RV there...too crowded!