bounder04

BUFFALO NY TO VICTOR IDAHO

Question

IN SEPTEMBER, TRAVELING FROM BUFFALO NY TO VICTOR ID. TRAVELING INTERSTATE 80. TRAVELING ABOUT 350 MILES A DAY IN 36' BOUNDER WITH HONDA FIT TOWED BEHIND. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GET UP TO VICTOR WITHOUT TRAVELING THROUGH THE TETONS. I'M THINKING I NEED TO GO SALT LAKE CITY, UT AND THEN UP THROUGH IDAHO FALLS. ANY ONE TRAVELED THIS WAY AND HAVE SUGGESTIONS FOR PLACES TO STOP OVER NIGHT AND ROUTE?

12 answers to this question

Bounder,

Welcome to the Forum. Have not been in NY since I was in the service. Just to let you know typing in all capitols indicates that your are shouting.Let us know how you trip goes.

Herman

4 hours ago, Bounder04 said:

IN SEPTEMBER, TRAVELING FROM BUFFALO NY TO VICTOR ID. TRAVELING INTERSTATE 80. TRAVELING ABOUT 350 MILES A DAY IN 36' BOUNDER WITH HONDA FIT TOWED BEHIND. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GET UP TO VICTOR WITHOUT TRAVELING THROUGH THE TETONS. I'M THINKING I NEED TO GO SALT LAKE CITY, UT AND THEN UP THROUGH IDAHO FALLS. ANY ONE TRAVELED THIS WAY AND HAVE SUGGESTIONS FOR PLACES TO STOP OVER NIGHT AND ROUTE?

Have you been to Victor before?  Yes there is a big climb on 191/189 out of Jackson but it should be doable in your rig. I was there last summer and drove it in my toad but I don't think I would hesitate to take my coach over that route.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

I did not stay in Victor but not far away at Buffalo Run RV Park & Cabins,3402 US-20, Island Park, ID 83429, buffalorunrvpark.com, (208) 558-7112. This was a good location to use when visiting Yellowstone.

What kind of time schedule do you have?

One place I have stayed off I-80 was Cabela's Inc 115 Cabela Dr, Sidney, NE 69162
cabelas.com, (308) 254-5505 This is Their Main/home store. They have a full hook up RV park. 

Another place was Hickory Hollow Campground, 757 N 3029th Rd, North Utica, IL 61373
hickoryhollowcg.com, (815) 667-4996

I am working backwards :D I don't have any more places that would fit on your milage schedule. 

Here are a couple apps you should have.  

http://www.rvparky.com/

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

I was in both Buffalo and Victor last year.:D

Bill

I think you have the best route to avoid the mountains though we've traveled ID Hwy 33 - WY Hwy 22 from Victor ID to Jackson WY and didn't find it that intimidating.  Everyone has their own comfort level with mountain driving so you would be the best judge here. 

That route does ascend to almost 8,500 feet, climbing 2300 feet in about 5.5 miles (28,000 feet) on a pretty steady grade (about 8.2%) and then descending at a similar grade for about 2 miles before the grade of descent begins to lessen gradually all the way into Victor.  It will definitely cut off quite a distance of travel, leaving I-80 at Rock Springs, WY on US 191 to US 189 to US 26 to Jackson, WY.

Know also that the descent into Salt Lake City on I-80 will be no picnic.  While you are on interstate highway, you will be in heavy traffic with many trucks, and you will descend 2700 feet  in about 17 miles.  The scenery is beautiful on that stretch of I-80 but your eyes will be on the highway and traffic most of the time. 

Taking I-84 at Echo, UT will change the numbers to 1200 feet descent in about 27 miles with some minor ups and downs in between.  That also routes you around Salt Lake City.  I-80 through Salt Lake City is always a bit stressful.  I've done it many times on the way to California but it is always busy. 

Traveling in September, you are past the peak of the tourist season and western campgrounds usually have spaces available, even pull through spaces.  We travel through the west comfortably without making advance reservations.  Our usual practice is to call a campground sometime in the afternoon when we are more certain where we want to stop.  If one isn't available, we'll try another nearby campground.  The references that Bill has given you will be very useful.  We also find the AllStays Camp and RV app to be useful.  I have the iPhone version on my iPhone and iPad.  It is really handy for many things including campgrounds.  If you don't use Gas Buddy, you may want to get that app also.  Fuel prices in the west can vary considerably from one area to another. 

You picked Victor ID looking for cheaper park rates? You really want to be in Jackson for easy access to Grand Teton National Park or possibly an extension into Yellowstone?

Regardless/ my advice (retired trucker). Unless you really want to see a piece of Utah, you should take US191 north from Rock Springs Wyoming to Hoback Junction  where you can go left onto US26 west. That will take you into Idaho to Swan Valley where you turn right onto Idaho 31. It is 21 miles from there to the outskirts of Victor. That avoids Teton Pass  that is to and from Victor to Jackson. Teton Pass  has a 10% grade at it's steepest and that is something I would be reluctant to try in spite of my experience  because I would worry about some one losing control and running into me.

if you decide to go thru Utah, you will be adding many miles to your destination. As you get closer to Evanston, WY you will have to pull steep grades that truckers refer to as the Sisters. Then when you enter Utah it is somewhat curvy before you join I-84 W  that takes you around the Salt Lake City traffic. If you just have to see Salt Lake City, then you have to deal with more curvy sections of I-80, the busy traffic around Park City and then onto Parleys Summit and steep downgrades. Lots of lanes heading down, but why do it?

I have run US 191N out of Rock Springs and US26 W from Holback Junction a few times over the years. Just enough to be reminded that they are ok for large vehicles.

Good luck to you. Fall is a wonderful time to be out there.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to Victor ID for a family wedding, initially staying at Teton Valley RV Park and then to wedding venue at Moose Creek Lodge and RV Park. Another route that came up on my GPS, was i80, exit 66, to route 30w and then 89. Any experience or words of wisdom on this Path? My rig is 36' plus flat towing a Honda fit. Again I appreciate the feedback. First time out west, and I just finished a trip through West Virginia and North Carolina. Went up and down a few mountains but not like the elevation I'm expecting out west.

Not much difference in driving out west. Down shift and keep your revs up and take your time when you start down stay in the same gear you climbed up in for the additional braking. 22 out of jackson would be the way I would go. 

Bill

People going from Buffalo to the little town of Victor ID for a wedding. "Who'd of Thunk It."

US30 west that leaves I-80 in sight of the Little America truckstop  was always my choice when heading into the northwestern US. Two lane and good road. I have not run the stretch of  US89 north of 30 (that I remember), but it is marked for big trucks. If you go that way you will pass thru the last Wyoming town along 30/ Cokeville. From there it is maybe 9 or 10 miles to the Idaho state line, there is a state route (89) that heads straight north along the state line and joins US89 north to Alpine and US26 west to Swan Bay.  I vaguely remember a stop sign at that intersection, but don't hold me to it. Doing that will save the distance to Montpelier ID and doubling back on US89 to Wyoming.

If Bill says 22 out of Jackson to Victor is OK, I am sure that it is. I visited a website for an rv park in Victor (maye Teton Valley) that mentioned 10% grades and offered the alternative of 31 from Swan Bay to Victor. That is why I suggested that way.

I still like US191 from Rock Springs north. Fond of off Interstate travel. If you decide on US30, spend a little time at Little America if you have time. Lot of highway history there. Thumbed a ride with a lumber hauler  (tractor trailer) out of Pocatello ID east bound. There was no I-80 in Wyoming then. He stopped at Little America for fuel and coffee. It was quite the place even back then. Summer of 1962. Caught the trucking virus then. Incurable. Less than three years later I became a trucker.

obedb, I went and looked at 31 on google earth and it does look like it might be a easier route. I hope Bounder04   will drive both of them and let us know. Who would have thought a few years ago I would be able to say, :o yes I have been there last year two to places as far apart as Buffalo NY and Victor Yo. in the same year and not a trucker.:P

Bounder04, you might want to use Google Earth and look at both routes 22 does have some 10% grades but is the shorter run. 31 does look a little easier it is hard to tell just looking on Google. I would be inclined to try it. The locals usually know the easier routes.

Bill

Bill/ always a good idea to have a Plan-B. That is all that I was suggesting. Your way is a good way if you are already in Jackson. If a member is heading north from I-80, maybe West on US26 to Swan Bay and 31 north would also be a good choice. In a toad. to and from Jackson on 22 would as, you have pointed out, be a very good choice.

Speaking of good choices/ when westbound on I-80 and dreading the thought of going thru the Salt Lake City metro area on your way to the northwest, US30 is a good choice. Will share my insight on the beauty of that if anyone wants.  It still is a favorite of mine,but never saw the need to mention it because so many travelers are locked and in love with interstates. 

You are absolutely right. Good catch by the way on the recommendations on the campground website. I will try it out maybe next year when we go West.

Are you talking about taking US-30 all the way to I-15? Looks interesting.

Bill

Thank you obedb and wildebill for all your insight. I greatly appreciate it. At this time my route from wyoming will be 191N to Holback Jnct, W26 to Swan Valley, and then 31 to Victor. Coming back down if I don't like that route, I'll try 89 and 30.  Happy & safe travels to all.