bdensford

Location Of Limit Switch On Slide-out

I have blown about ten fuses (20amp) moving my slide-out in and out.   Yesterday I watched the fuse panel and the fuse blew when the slide-out reached its extremity (out).   Is there not a switch that interrupts the circuit when the room is all the way out even though the control may be still depressed by the user?

I have heard mention of a "Limit switch."  Could a faulty one be the culprit on my 18-year-old coach?  It is a 1999 National Tradewinds.  I would like to inspect the switch and put a multimeter on it.  Does one look on the body of the coach or the movable portion (the slide-out)?

The newer coaches tend to have built in current limiter circuits for the electrically power slides. The key item to check is to make sure the slide system is properly lubricated and that it is not overloaded - weight wise, we all have a tendency to pack then with more weight then they where built to handle and it can be difficult to get a definitive number from the coach builder.  My weight limit is around 500 lbs. 

Think you might see if a auto -reset 20 amp fuse, in a physical size that fits the location might be available for your setup. 

Rich.

b,

When doing your inspection be sure to look for chafed wires. In 18 years of moving it may have worn a bare spot in your wiring. Where it doesn't make a contact till pulled to it's limit.

Herman

I'm Prepared to look at the wires to the limit switch as per last suggestion. My main headache is where to start looking.  Anybody have photos or drawings and diagrams?  All I have identified from the underside is the motor and gearbox.  There are two wires going to that assembly.  They are sound.  They don't move because they are on the coach side not the slideout side of things.

bdensford, Would you post the Make, Model and Year of your coach for the group.

There are a number of ways the slide circuits can be designed and the circuits and control modules continue to change. 

No one answer fits them all and in some cases they very from one slide to another on the same coach.

Rich.

Yes ****,

We have a 1999 National Tradewinds. It is an orphan make.  The fuse panel installed does not match the schematic in the paperwork packet.  When the slide out balked the first time I left it in for a week while a new expensive relay was en route from Amazon.  When I had changed out the relay, I still got no result until I put in a 20a fuse in an empty spot that corresponded well to the diagram I had.  That brings the story up to the present whereupon it works when it works and it blows fuses often.  (Everything on the relay cluster is marked 20a and the motor people at Power Gear say the motor I have should draw only 16 amps. It is a 13-1090.)

My next step would be to hook up a meter to the motor and see what it does draw especially right at the end/full out. 

One outher thought is you may need a "slow blow" 20 amp fuse on the relay. 

Bill

bdensford, Bills thoughts would be a good starting point, regarding the current load caused by the motor. Second - is there any difference in the current load when extending and retracting?

How long did the slide work normally before the fuse started to fail ? What is the loaded weight the slide out ? 

When the side is in does it set square relative to the area around the slide ? what is the condition of the mechanical drive ?

Floor plan and model option list link.

http://www.rvroundtable.com/wp-content/uploads/National/1999.NationalRVTradewindsSpecs.pdf

This information was listed on ebay and is no longer listed, but it does list who listed it and ; they might have some info that might help. if you can contact them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRADEWINDS-MOTORHOME-MANUALs-435pg-1997-1998-1999-2000-2001-RV-Service-amp-Repair-/131735419690

Some information you may not have on file.

http://giantrv.addr.com/products/national/tradewinds/tradewindsltc_specs.htm#ELECTRICAL

Rich.

When the slide is out...look at both sides for any scuff marks!  If your getting any marks on your inside floor, it could be a roller that is hanging up or a piece of metal, like a rivet head or screw...that would put enough strain on your slide/motor to blow a fuse!