loybern

Towing a 2011 Ford Edge AWD

I just purchase our first RV and want to tow my Edge. FMCA says its OK however Ford owners manual says do not tow. What do you all recommend? Thanks. Its a 2011 AWD with push button start

loybern,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I have no first hand knowledge of towing the Edge.

But, a word of caution.  There have more than a handful of vehicles over the last couple of years where the manufacturer declared them towable four wheels down only to later decide that they were NOT towable four wheels down.

So, I would either go by the owner's manual or contact Ford for the latest information on your model Edge.

Okay, something is going astray here.  I have a 2013 Lincoln MKX and it is an edge in nicer clothing. I also looked up the 2011 AWD Edge and the manual states that it is towable 4 down. (FWD Also)

Here is a link to the manual: 2011 Edge

Go to page 242 for towing information.

Loybern, if you call Ford HQ and ask to speak to an engineer they will give you the most recent scoop.  I'd go with the manual if it is the right manual. (I'd tow)

p.s., forgot to mention:  Manual states to start it at each fuel stop. I don't think they took into consideration how long an RV can travel before fueling up.  With that said I was having a weak battery and could not start the car after stopping for the night. I carried a battery charger with me and I would hook it up when I stopped and then go about my business of hooking up the MH.  When I was finished doing that the car would start.  Eventually what I would do is stop about every 2 hours, which also allows me to stretch, potty etc. and go out and start the car. I'd let it run for 5 minutes then go through the procedures of preparation for towing. In my case that would be to shift into Drive, then Neutral, then Reverse and then back to Neutral. Place the (push button start) into accessories mode. At that time I would turn off my display center. 

Since stopping and starting every 2 hours (or so) I have not had a problem with battery drain.