Sign in to follow this  
luv2travl

Refrigerator Problems

luv2travl,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

There are a number of things that can degrade refrigerator performance.  Some minor, some major.

Is you refrigerator in a slide? If so, are the fans working?

Does this happen on propane? electricity? both?

What is ambient temperature? The refrigerator side of the coach in the sun?

When was the last "burner area tune-up?

Have you done the "dollar bill test" all around the door gaskets? Results?

Is there a restrictor in the refrigerator condensate drain to keep hot air from entering the refrigerator?

Any ammonia smell and/or evidence of yellow powder either inside or on the back of the refrigerator?

What is clearance between the refrigerator coils and the outside wall of the coach?

On 7/5/2017 at 7:40 AM, wolfe10 said:

hen was the last "burner area tune-up?

Brett, you asked about the owner's burner area time up. I have never heard of a burner area time up. Could you enlighten me on this?

A burner area TUNE-UP consists of:

Turn off the refrigerator and wait a few minutes for the burner area to cool off.

Start by lightly rapping on the chimney to knock loose any dirt or rust that is about ready to fall.

Remove and clean the burner tube.  If slits are eroded/rusted, replace it.

Remove and clean the gas jet-- use alcohol to clean it-- do not put anything hard through the orifice.

Remove the ignitor/flame sensor and clean, removing any carbon or rust build up.

Reinstall above, setting the spark gag (gap between ignitor and burner tube to spec).

This can range from a very easy 5 minute job with just hand tools to an hour of contortionist work-- depends on how good your coach maker was in aligning the refrigerator outside access door with the burner area.  I have worked on some that were VERY easy and some that were really frustratingly stupidly positioned.

I'm not sure about Norcold, but in our Fridgadair, I know it's not the same, the cold air comes from the freezer. There are small vents between the two. Of corse that in the side by side units. Just something to check.