markandlisav

Check Engine Light

Started out on a weekend trip only to get about 1/2 from our house and the check engine warning light came on.  Circled back home to investigate before hitting the interstate.  The engine diagnostics was throwing a single code - SPN 2791 FMI 13 OC 42.  After a bit of googling, it appears to be an EGR calibration alert?  Called the dealer I bought the coach from and they said it was just an emission alert, ok to drive it.  That didn't feel right, so I made an appointment with a local freightliner / cummins shop.  Is the dealer correct?  

Thanks!

2011 Gulfstream Caribbean 35A, Freightliner chassis, Cummins 360HP, Allison trans.

Thanks Bill,

Yeah to restart a couple of times - also tried to drive it after I let it sit and warm up for about 10 minutes.  Light still was on.  Not hard to warn up in FL in the summer..  :-)

We are heading out next week for 500+ miler... I read a lot on RV forums about folks driving for 100's / 1000's of miles with a warning indicator light on??  I guess it depends on the indicator, but seems risky to me - especially if you are not sure what code(s) are being thrown.  Just want to be safe and not blow up the coach..

You should have a Cummins catalog that came with coach (Green and half the height of owners catalog), in back is the meaning of most #'s and letters of the ck engine codes !

thanks for the response manholt, I do have the catalog but there are not code #'s listed.  Every time I google the code, the responses are mainly for Detroit Diesel engines.  Strange...

2 hours ago, markvirden said:

Update:  Bad EGR valve.  $650 for the part + labor to install and re-calibrate.  Do EGR valves give out on a regular basis?  

Fairly common, happens more often when an engine is allowed to idle for extended periods of time.