mweiner

Satellite Communications Services Revisited

I thought I'd ask all of you what you do in case you become disabled and out of cell phone range?? Even though I'm a AAA Premiere RV member, you still need to contact them in an emergency if you break down. 

While I try to always keep my systems running at full capacity, things can and do happen. 

Recently, I looked into getting Onstar...a friend told me that a few years ago, anyone could get their service if you added some equipment and got their proprietary rearview mirror... well, that's changed and they no longer allow that... only GM cars?? 

Same thing with Sirius XM Guardian.... Now, Sirius is a satellite provider, I have their subscription radio service...so, I called them and wouldn't you know it, they also offer it as s limited feature on some Chrysler cars...... BUT, I can't get that either...

So, I'm wondering if the FMCA Association can exert any pressure here to see if one of these satellite providers would make their service available??  

Any thoughts??

You may want to just go to a satellite phone based on the way you are asking the question. https://www.voipmechanic.com/satellite-phone.htm OnStar is not a true satellite phone anyway, as OnStar just contracts with AT&T cell service for your calling needs. The system is a satellite service that uses GPS technology to send you messages and keep up with your car. Good luck with your hunt for better communications, satellite phones are pretty expensive, but do provide coverage almost anywhere. Also most of us pull a toad (towed vehicle) behind us, if the cell phone won't work where we break down, we simply drive the toad to the nearest location where cell service can be acquired.

Thanks....as expensive as a pulling an extra car.....is.... It would make the satellite phone look like a CHEAP OPTION....

I realized while posting, that you obviously don't need to pull a car, but a large percentage of class A and C owners do need to pull as we are not able get around after arriving at a location. Some of us including my wife are claustrophobic when it comes to living quarters. LOL!:rolleyes: I love your rig, but I also enjoy the larger rig for my personal use. While looking up the satellite phone, I saw one that you purchase the equipment and then buy a prepaid plan for $49.00 for 10 minutes with no expiration of time for use. For emergency use that doesn't seem too bad, and as stated, as long as there is an open sky, could be life saving, especially if one is going to do a lot of real boondocking.

Well if you want peace of mind you could always get a "satellite phone."  Not very cheap and I have not idea what service connectivity would cost. A little research goes a long way.  Just hope there are no thunderstorms above or the phone will be dead until it clears.

What you are looking for is SPOT.  This is a communication device that is used by adventurists, hikers in remote areas, pilots, off-roaders, long distance bicycle riders, mountain climbers, remote RV'ers, etc.  It is a satellite communication device.  The communication is limited, you can send a pre-arranged message that has your GPS coordinates.  You create the message and where you want it to be sent.  Your location can also be tracked by those who you give your code to so that your children, for instance, could check to see where you were if they hadn't heard from you in an unusually long  time.

Costs are quite reasonable.  According to the web site, the equipment is currently on sale 50% off ($75 + tax).  It is, like On-Star, a subscription service ($199 per year) but the rates are way less than a satellite phone.  Use as many times as you need, no per call or per message charges.  Please don't press the emergency button unless your life is in danger.  You may incur charges from the rescuing agency if they send helicopter or search crew!  You can also purchase an insurance policy to cover any emergency rescue charges.

Another possible solution does exist.  I have heard but haven't tried, calling 911 even if your phone indicates no service.  I have been told that if there is service from any provider it will pick up and connect a 911 call.  If anyone can confirm this - having used this - this would be welcome information for all of us.

kaypsmith, you wrote, 

"I realized while posting, that you obviously don't need to pull a car, but a large percentage of class A and C owners do need to pull as we are not able get around after arriving at a location. Some of us including my wife are claustrophobic when it comes to living quarters. LOL!:rolleyes: I love your rig, but I also enjoy the larger rig for my personal use."

Thanks for your comment!  We love our rig!!   BUT, we don't live in it, we travel in it. 

I realize that each of us have different needs, and for me, I wanted the mobility of a travel coach that we could spend time in on a temporary basis while visiting places around the country.. 

We really love our travels and try to get out as much as possible. When we had our teardrop trailer, we got out 6 times per year, once every other month.  And, with the new rig, we've been out more often because it's a much easier setup.. practically nothing by comparison.

But, we love our home as well...  and it's an appreciating asset.. 

IF we were considering being "full timers" and I'm not sure I'll ever be ready for that, I would have a rig like yours and others on this forum and most definitely have a toad. 

Thank you for suggestions on the pre-paid plan... Right now, we're mainly staying in most places that have cell service..and places that don't we're on roads that are populated with people, so, if we did breakdown, I'm sure we would get assistance somewhere. 

My cellphone provider is Google Project Fi- a blend of T-MOBILE, Sprint and US Cellular all rolled into one network.  If you listen to all the marketing hype, Verizon is supposed to be the best, but, that's only if it works where and when you need it. I've actually been in places where my friends with Verizon had to borrow my phone to make a call because there wasn't Verizon service at that particular location. Cell service is not perfect.  

I've been told as well that even if you don't have cell service, calling 911 should work. Again, no one wants to field test this .... I'd rather skip it.  Life is eventful enough, but, things happen unexpectedly.   It's nice to have an ace in the hole. 

And, Tom, thank you for bringing up SPOT...I did look at this website... Sounds promising.   

6 hours ago, MWeiner said:

Thanks for your comment!  We love our rig!!   BUT, we don't live in it, we travel in it.

I am confused by this part.  When you travel in it, do you park it somewhere and then go to a hotel or you do you sleep and wake in it while traveling.  If this is the only place you stay when you travel then you are living in your RV.  You seem offended that someone might imply that you live in your RV but it's OK to live in your RV for short periods of times as well as living in your RV full time.

I'm not offended at all that someone might imply that we sometimes sleep in our RV..  that's why we purchased a Class B. Otherwise, what would have been the point?

When we drive across country in our car... we're "living in it for 8 hours per day just driving"...

I don't know why you're confused about the fact that we are "not full timers". 

AND, in some instances, yes, we very well may stay in a hotel from time to time. What's wrong with that? 

My RV is my "mobile timeshare"....

I've met many people with Class A motor homes who travel twice per year, snow birds flocking south in the Winter and back to their destination in the summer...

We just didn't want to make fuel the biggest expense of our rig and wanted to see more of the country.   

Again, different agendas for everyone. 

During really inclement weather...rainy season...I'd rather be home enjoying myself. It's much easier being at home. 

Again, full timing is a choice, I'm just not willing to give up my private residence, back yard and extremely quiet environment.   We've stayed at some really nice RV parks, campgrounds and others places, but, it's definitely NOT as private as being in my own home. 

MWeiner, hope it will ok to call you Mark in the future, I still live in a very beautiful and peaceful home, in the middle of about 500 acres on top of one of the most beautiful hills in our area, being an amateur radio operator, a place where many other Ham's would love to hang their hat. We love traveling as well and do so as often as time will allow. I'm 72+, and still work full time. We actually enjoy the RV parks as they bring us a chance to meet many new friends, and unlike living in a close neighborhood where many so called neighbors are only nosey busy bodies, if we don't like the neighbor at the RV park, we just move. :rolleyes:LOL! Anyway, hope you continue to enjoy to the fullest your new to you toy. Kay

Kay, 

By all means, please feel free to address me by my first name, Mark, that's fine. I retired early from higher education administration.... let me tell you it's the best thing I've ever done.. I'm 65 and love the freedom of not having to go to the office and deal with politics... 

Wow, 500 acres.. that's a lot of work..  we live in Los Angeles in a quiet suburban neighborhood...and when we close up the house with double pane windows, it's very peaceful around here.  It's not as quiet as your area, but, much quieter than a campsite.😁

YES, one of the best features of having the little class B is that we're extremely mobile... throw a few chairs in the back, pick up an outdoor mat and close the awning...we can be ready to move in less than 10 minutes easy.😁

So far, we've met really nice people... And have not had to resort to moving to another park when we've gone out.  And, if we do decide to go out for the day or evening, we just drive the rig there.   Driving around looking at sites in a Class A or even Class C is much more challenging... parking in our rig is relatively easy.

We still have our teardrop trailer, although, I have it up for sale right now.. Really cute, and it has some advantages over the rig, but, setting it up and getting it ready to go is a VERY labor intensive exercise.   Usually takes about an hour to 90 minutes. 

So far, we love taking the small RV to places, it's a snap to just dash off for the day or weekend.. We keep it stocked with clothes and staple items, so, in the event of an earthquake or other natural disaster, we could be on the road in a very short time indeed.   

One of the reasons I wanted this particular coach is that it's versatile to go anywhere.  We went from LA to Fresno and averaged 18.68 MPG climbing over 4,500 mountain passes.  And, that little 3 litre V6 Mercedes turbo diesel just hums along and doesn't slow down on the climbs. 

I expect that it will not be too difficult to average 18 MPG across the United States. I've heard of people getting 19 or 20 MPG .we were going 65-70 MPH. 

In California with my teardrop trailer, the legal maximum is 55 MPH...so, the rig is not only faster it's one vehicle and I don't have to worry about towing. 

Yes, we like it very much and hope to see many places with it. 

So, you're still working full time.. what do you do?

How often do you get out to go on trips?  Let me tell you that we decided to do this while we still have the energy to do it..... I had thought, look, this is a depreciating asset and is really no less expensive than driving my car and staying in hotels. BUT, you can't stay by natural surroundings with hotels except for maybe Yellowstone National Park and pay super high rates...I'm talking $300 or more per night!  

Also, we decided that we couldn't buy back these years...it was now or never. 

Finally, on early retirement...my father in law, retired at 55.... I retired at 59... He told me that the reason he retired early was to "enjoy his retirement"..he did and lived to 83..... Don't wait until it's too late... People always overestimate the amount of time they have left.... there's no point in being the richest person in the cemetery. 

I hope you enjoy your trips as well.. along with your ham operators friends..that another sub-culture all its own.  

Wow, your rig is amazing, a tour bus.... how long have you had it and what kind of modifications have you done?? I'll bet that fuel economy is not a big concern for you or what's the furthest you've taken this ?  It's like the size of metro city bus, correct? I see that you finished the conversion in 2013...? Must be very nice!

I'm sure you pull a small car behind this?  

---MARK