F470227

Wheel Balancing

I have an '06 Winnebago Vectra, built on the Evolution Chassis and can't find a company that can balance the front tire because the center hole is too large,10.87".

Has anyone found someplace that can balance the tires?

Thanks

F470227,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Let us know where you are-- perhaps someone will have first hand information for you.

Best answer is to find a shop (yes there are still a few left) who can balance the front tires/wheels ON THE COACH. That way all the rotating masses are in balance, not just tire and wheel.  They can also check for RUN-OUT, as a perfectly balanced "egg shaped" tire will still give a poor ride.

You might consider installing Centramatic wheel balance rings as they are a one time purchase and work with every set of rubber for ever, my choice.

You could have the balancing beads installed inside the tire which also work. They are not my choice because if they become moist from contaminated air over time the will clump and be worthless! This is the least costly by a significant margin

Brett's suggestion is by far the best most superior manner of balancing, but the Hunter equipment he refers to is very outdated and very difficult to find. It is outdated only because it is labor/time intensive and in this day and age... It was common practice in the 60s a,d early 70s. I have not seen the system used in decades.

32 minutes ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

Brett's suggestion is by far the best most superior manner of balancing, but the Hunter equipment he refers to is very outdated and very difficult to find. It is outdated only because it is labor/time intensive and in this day and age... It was common practice in the 60s a,d early 70s. I have not seen the system used in decades.

Agree, it is becoming a lost art, repeat art.  Not something a kid with 20 minutes of instruction can do.

But, there ARE still some old-fashion OTR truck service centers that have both equipment and personnel to do it and you will even occasionally find a shop that still does TIRE TRUING!!!

Have used Centramatics for many years, mostly on trucks, but I had them installed on our Phaeton a short time after buying it. They do a great job. Little pricey, but you can take them with you as long as your next unit  has the same bolt pattern and compatible tire profile. IMHO they are worth the money.

I have found their customer service to be excellent when you call and if you have the info that they need, sizing will be easy.

F470227,

A location might help find a place to balance your tires. For example, Tomason Tire in McKinney Texas can spin balance your wheels off the vehicle and 22.5 wheels are no problem. Also there is East Texas Truck Alignment in Marshal Texas and they can spin balance your tires on the vehicle. So let us know where you are and others may have a company to help you.

Herman 

I just installed new four new tires on the rear and replaced my Centramatics with balancing beads a manufacturer sent me to test.  I drove from Az to Indy and the balance is very good, up to 75 mph.  The one thing the beads do is balance everything, tire, drum, and hub.

As do the Centramatics.  The idea of the beads is great and easy, certain quantity for specific tire size, dump it in, air it up and away you go. The new stuff and the theory behind it is sound. The problem is not the product, but adding air at any point in time, If it is not dry and that is dried by a drier not just a water separator, moisture will still be in the air and over time the accumulation of moisture in the tire will cause the bead material to clump. At the point that it is matted together, it's effectiveness is nearly moot.

Moral of this story: ask if the air is dried or better yet ask to see how the air is supplied and dried. I might add that it is not common for a tire shop to have an air drier.

You should always use dry filtered air.  I use my coach air or if I used my portable air compressor I have an inline air drier.

A good tire shop has an air dryer if not go else where 

check with local truck shops and ask where to go  

also the local truck stop and ask truckers from your state they all have a favourite shop  

First you need to more clearly identify the problem. Vibration through steering wheel or through floor in front? Both driver & passenger floor vibrating or just one side. Is the vibration felt at rear of coach?

When did you first notice the vibration

Second you need to be sure you have identified the actual cause of the problem. Is the tire at the location of the vibration withing established tolerance for run-out? I have seen demonstration of balancing a cinder block so problem may not be balance

Have you confirmed tires are fully seated and concentric on the wheel?

Have you confirmed the wheel is properly centered on the hub? With a large center hole I assume your wheels are "lug-centric' so it is more important that the nuts are tightened in steps and in sequence.