rhinderber

Bigger AC Or Add One

I have a 1998 Safari Trek 2830. It is my understanding that they are well insulated and they also have dbl pane windows and the storage areas under the unit are insulated and heated. I was doing some work on the inside the other day the temp outside was 93. the inside was 102 when I started never got below 80.

Question is would It be better to go from 13500 BTU to 15000 BTU or add a second 13500 BTU unit, no vent in front of unit.  

How long did it take to get down to 80?  If 2-3 hours I think your existing unit is doing a good job.  I always try to start my AC BEFORE the inside temperature gets too high.  Typical AC system will have a temperature differential of 20-24 degrees (intake to outlet) and with the volume of air inside a motorhome, it will take a while to drop from over 100 to the mid 70s.

I would think long and hard about a second unit.  A larger one, maybe not a bad idea assuming the existing one is original.

Lenp

If your "coach air conditioning " is blowing out 55 degrees from the vents, you should be able to cool down the coach pretty quickly...   Also, open a small window to blow out the warm air once you start ...then close up the coach. 

One more thing, if you really want to cool off faster, turn on the engine and run the vehicle AC up front for a while...the two units together should make a difference. 

Of course, we have a small Class B and the space to cool down is MUCH smaller than what you probably have, but, I would think that your system would be sized appropriately for this.

Question- when was last time you had your unit serviced?

Good luck...

I serviced it a short time ago. I don't believe the unit moves enough air, I haven't located the cfm on the fans on this ac. It should circulate space every 10 min or so.This is our first RV right now it is at the shop I some how managed to bend a push rod on #3 cylinder.

Ouch, I hope you don't have to pay a lot to have that fixed.

Sounds like a bigger problem than the A/C.

Just did a Google search on your coach...it's 28 feet.. with a 454 V8? 

How many miles on your rig?

Good luck..

When you say the A/C was serviced and also that CFM's appear low, please verify that you cleaned both the return filters AND the EVAPORATOR.  The evaporator can only be cleaned from the roof after removing the cover and then the cover over the evaporator.

On that age unit, the A/C unit may still be fully functional, but evaporator badly clogged with dirt and debris-- the filters are not that effective on RV roof airs!

I cleaned the condenser the evap coil both fans oiled motor on both ends replaced the foam seals and did a general clean inside the unit, including the return filter that is a kind of useless foam piece. As far as the CFM my MH is approx 1600 cf  a 1000 CFM fan will circulate the area every 1.6 min.200 CFM every 8 min.this unit had 80 deg. in and 65 deg. out temp inside averaged 85 DEG after 3 hr.+/- When I said CFM seem low, what I meant was the CFM did not seem to be sufficient to over come the heat loss. I am thinking to over come this problem a larger single unit or two units. I have no experience with RV climate control,a mechanic once told me that my 1986 Cadillac had the equivalent cooling of a 3 ton home AC.I don't know if this is true or not but it makes sense when considering how fast a car will reach 150 DEG. inside. I am thinking 2.5/3 ton is about what is needed. I have found 15000 BTU  is the largest available.Another problem is the lack of a powered vent in front I am thinking that would make installing a second unit in front more difficult.

What was temperature as measured at the air return and then at the A/C outlet/vent?  Said another way, what was the temperature delta???

A 15 degree delta suggests a poorly functioning A/C.

Were this my 28' Trek, I would replace the A/C with a 15k unit.

I have not replaced one recently enough to give "what is best 15k today".

Post what you can about what you need-- certainly if this is ducted/non-ducted.

Are you willing to take your coach to a reputable RV repair shop and have them swap out the air conditioning unit??? I'm sure that they would know what size to use and cool your rig.

If this is an original AC, 18 years old now, certainly is a good time to replace. As Brett stated, best go to 15K, the new units are much higher SEER meaning that they use less electricity, meaning that your current wiring should be adequate. Just a little tip, if you will use a lower fan speed on the AC, the delta will be a wider margin, using a fan on the floor under the ac, then point at an angle upward to move the cooler air to a location where needed more will surprise you in how much faster the coach will cool. Not a permanent fix by no means but will help until a replacement unit can be installed.

20 hours ago, MWeiner said:

If your "coach air conditioning " is blowing out 55 degrees from the vents, you should be able to cool down the coach pretty quickly...   Also, open a small window to blow out the warm air once you start ...then close up the coach. 

This may help if you are running the dash air but would hurt performance if using the roof air as it does not circulate outside air. Also when looking for max cooling set your dash air to "recirculate":D

Bill

rhinderber-. Hey, how's the Safari Trek?  And how does it compare to a Safari Zanzabar?? Someone was complaining about the Zanzabar earlier?   

SO, replacing the HVAC with a brand new unit would be your best option and the sooner you do this, the more you'll enjoy it... 

How long have you owned this rig?

The Trek is smaller 28', inside they are similar. Yours is more on the high end. Although Safari is a high quality unit. We have had this one for about 6 weeks It is at the shop now I managed to bend a push rod driving it home from the dealer don't know if I will decide on a new ac before it is finished I bought this one because it is shorter and has a large bath room and a table and chairs I don't like the booth setup. IMG_20170518_143420.thumb.jpg.8625f1ab44ac50234700dec4f93d1b61.jpgIMG_20170518_143621.thumb.jpg.ab1da321138fe5b8b729bc2665afec6e.jpg

rhinderber- Thanks...for the information on the two Safari units..

Just to be clear, I was curious about WHY this other person, not ME, was complaining about the Zanzabar...it looked like a pretty nice RV.. SO, you like your Safari .. great! 

My rig is below, it's a 2012 Roadtrek RS Adventurous...see picture in signature. 

---Mark

rhinderber- One more question-- 

I just re-read your last post. You purchased this 6 weeks ago from a private seller, I presume?   I imagine that you don't have any service records from the previous seller?  That really sucks within 6 weeks for engine and HVAC problems...

I hope you didn't have to pay a lot to acquire your rig? 

How many miles on this 1998? The pictures you posted above look very nice.. 

Good luck, hope that all works out. 

rhinderber, must be late...LOL..

i just noticed that you purchased this from a "dealership".... they should really help you out on the engine repair....my two cents... 

UNLESS you're telling us that you purchased it "as is"....you didn't do that? 

i would think that most dealers would give you at least a 90 day warranty.. ? 

Never hurts to ask...they can always say no... 

The damage was caused by my  inattention, so even if the dealer  would cover the cost I would not ask them to. I read somewhere that when operating an RV AC I should run the exhaust fans to remove hot air from the ceiling.I was thinking about this last night. the AC is a recirculating system,by operating the exhaust fans I am simply adding hot air to the area being conditioned by the air conditioner. When the TREK is back I will run the ac unit without the fans running and the vents closed before I upgrade to a 15000 BTU heat pump. A lot is a relative term, I am soon to be 71 I bought my first home a 1200 sqf 3br job for $10,094 at 19 yrs old, gas was $0.22 a gal so anything over $1.00 seems like a lot to me. LOL