DJTNANG

When to Punt

OK, we have been Rving for 2 years now.  My wife and I bought a 2004 Winnebago VectraKD (used so not to get too much money sunk into this to see if we like it).  We are fast approaching retirement and have a desire to travel across this great land and one day go all the way to Alaska.  Now, since I have owned my coach I have spent tons on repairs (slideouts sequencing valve, HWH Board, entire guts of Norcold refrigerator, and it goes on).  I just had it serviced and drove it 160 miles and it ran like a champ!  Camped for a long weekend and all was well.  Went to come home and the engine would not fire off.  So now it's at the cumin's dealer with a fried ECM and wiring harness.  Now buying a used coach I expected to have to do a lot of this, but when is enough.  I am at the point that I just don't  have any confidence in the coach.  We love traveling and when the coach works we absolutely love it...

Advice, thoughts, (donations, just kidding!)

DJ

DJ- can you quantify how much approximately were talking about in relation to the purchase price? Have you sunk more than 40 to 50 percent of your original price into repairs?   If you got this for a reasonable price ...it might still make sense to just repair it and use it....   Unless you really don't like the coach anymore? If that's  the case , then, I would consider swapping it for something else. 

How often do you use it and how many trips and annual miles?

I guess you have to weigh how much your enjoying the coach and figure that things do go wrong especially with a 13 year old vehicle.... older vehicles have a period of repairs then things plateau for a while...at least that's what I found with cars I kept for 20 years...

I always travel with my AAA Premiere card..

I looked up the Winnebago Veckta and it looks beautiful.. nice and big. DIESEL V8?

Good luck..

I had the same problem with a Safari Zanzabar and magnum chassis . Rode like a wagon with steel (no Tread) wheels. I spent way too much money trying to repair the junker to the point my wife finally said no more !

I traded it 2 days later for a Dutch Star used which is a dream to drive and own . Sometimes you get to the point where no matter how much you put in to one it doesn't get any better. Weigh your options which way seems cheaper , maybe it's time to punt , I'm sure glad I did . Hope this helps

I don't think that this is unusual whether you buy a new or a used RV.  The only difference is who is going to pay the bill.  These things break and they break on a regular basis.  I am sorry to hear about the ECM issue as that sounds like a pretty rare event.  I have found that you either need to have very deep pockets (I don't) or you need to learn how to fix stuff (I have learned more than I ever hoped to know!).  The Norcold is a known issue so not unique to your coach but pretty much expected.  At least it didn't catch fire!

The good news is that if you want to travel a lot you likely will not have a required schedule as to when you arrive so if something breaks you've got time to get it fixed.  If you do the Alaskan trip you will likely be with a tour group and the usually have some handy folks along as the tailgunner to help with those day to day issues but won't be able to fix a blown turbo.

That doesn't mean I don't love my 1988 Prevost but it does mean I have fixed a lot of stuff and I have had a lot of stuff fixed.

Yep, those unexpected things happen from time to time, new or used, and they always seem to happen at the worst time. Two weeks ago, planned trip to Tennessee for six months, leave on Thursday with a two day stopover in Chattanooga, just need to change oil, been raining everyday for the past two weeks, Tuesday finally got to change the oil, I always inspect the motor for any possible repairs. Uh-Oh, cracked left bank exhaust manifold, can't drive like this, Wednesday morning scrambling in hope of finding a used manifold, nope, have to overnight for Thursday AM delivery. Needless to say, Thursday departure be must postponed. Thursday 3 PM, raining cats and dogs, call campground in Chat., be there Friday. A day late and $1100.00 short, did leave on Friday and an eight day very good vacation.

What you buy is determined by your pocket book, your skill level and desire, and life style of how you want to RV.  If you want to do repairs and upgrades (like I do) you can get away with an older unit.  If your limited in skills but have enough money you can pay to have it done. At the other end of the scale you can just go a buy what you want.  I recently bought a 98 Discovery with just under 100k miles, in very good condition. Paid about 1/2 of low book.  Left me some funds to do what I wanted to do.

Like MWeiner said - how do you like the coach as a coach sans any trouble?  If you look at others and still love this one, fix it.  Eventually you will get on top of the issues.  If you are indifferent to the coach and like others the same or better, maybe its time to trade off and take the lumps.

It is my opinion that most motor home owners fall in distinctly different categories,

1. those that do very little on their coaches and pay someone else to do everything required,

2. those that do all they can, and learn to do those things that they don't already know. Rarely will the latter pay to get work done they can do themselves.

A motor home is like a airplane, for every hour/mile on the road or in the air, a specific degree/dollar amount of maintenance and service is required. Even in storage maintenance is required.

I think a motor home also fits the age old adage referring to boats  "a hole in the water that you throw money in".

If my theory is correct, than those who do nothing need to have very deep pockets, and those that do what they can still will spend a significant amount of time and money learning what they don't know, and maintaining their equipment.

You gotta love it!

7 minutes ago, rlbarkleyii said:

It is my opinion that most motor home owners fall in distinctly different categories, 1. those that do nothing on their coaches and pay someone to do everything required, 2. those that that do all they can, and learn to do those things that they don't already know. Rarely will the latter pay to get work done they can do themselves.

A motor home is like a airplane, for every hour/mile on the road or in the air, a specific degree/amount of maintenance and service is required. Even in storage maintenance is required.

I think a motor home also fits the age old adage referring to boats  "a hole in the water that you throw money in".

If my theory is correct, than those who do nothing need to have very deep pockets, and those that do what they can still will spend a significant amount of time and money learning what they don't know, and maintaining their equipment.

You gotta love it!

Well said!

I agree 100 percent.  A motor home or car... all require vigilance to keep your power up while you're on the road.   We all try very hard to avoid an interrupted trip and unplanned event. It's very stressful.  

As far as fixing it yourself or having it contracted out realize that you should only purchase a vehicle that you can afford and if you don't know how to fix something, have the money to call a professional.. Everything is easy when you know what to do... and many people like myself would rather have a professional do the major systems while I enjoy using the vehicle as much as possible... the more you use your motor home, the better value for the per mile driven you'll receive. There's no value with a car, or motor home sitting in your driveway or the vehicle storage lot.

You should always budget for repairs, they're inevitable... parts cost money plus labor...

Finally, try and get the vehicle you want with the features you deem necessary... keep it and use it for 5 or 7 years minimum...if you are constantly trading up for your next coach.. because you're not satisfied... you're going to pay more thru depreciation and loss of value.. every time you turn that over. 

Every MH is in one of three conditions:

-  It's broken.

-  You just fixed it.

-  It's getting ready to break.

50 minutes ago, FIVE said:

-  It's broken.

-  You just fixed it.

We find this true even our stick and brick homes.:o

17 hours ago, FIVE said:

-  It's broken.

-  You just fixed it.

This is still one of my favorite quotes B)