stephen123

1992 Safari Ivory Diesel Tech Edition: Brake Light Circuit

Hi all, I am having a problem with the brake lights on my coach, there is no power at the brake light switch all fuses seem to be ok, tail lights, turn signals, emergency flashers all working. It has been sitting for awhile but they were working when it was parked, I ran a hot wire to one wire at a time to the switch, one side did nothing the other blew the fuse, does anyone have any ideas on how this system works I'm stumped.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

You said the fuses looked OK, but did you check to see if you had power to both sides of the fuse? It has been said many time that "Looks can be deceiving".:wub:

Herman

Hi Herman, I have checked all fuses at the fuse blocks with a meter all show that they are good, did not see any fuses which actually were labeled brake lights, I checked for power at the brake switch there is non, unless the switch controls ground and the stop light circuit is positive? as when I put a hot wire to each side one at a time, I figured I could at least get the lights to work by bypassing the switch and applying direct power, no go. This one has really got me stumped.

Steve

Steve,

Typically, the brake light switch feeds the lamps through the turn signal switch.  The t/s interrupts the brake lights so they can flash. 

If it is a ground operated system then the ground is most likely operating a relay that may have failed/stuck.  On this year/model I dont know where the alleged relay might be but on likely it is in a black box full of fuses and relays.  Safari used white wires for ground if that helps.

Otherwise that blowing fuse looks like a dead short and would indicate there is/are a burned up wire or wires causing the open and the dead short to ground.  In most cases, stop lamp circuits are not fused but have a circuit breaker.

Keep looking!

In addition to Brett's advice check: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SafariCoaches/info  (You have to "join" the group to ask questions)

Plus the FMCA Safari Internationl chapter has a website and magazine with lots of knowledgeable folks.