Most smaller rigs like my Class B have driver and passenger air bags and so do many Class C's,  but,  there's a lot of Class A motor homes out there with no electronics or even air bags; there just NOT required.   The reason most Class B coaches have them is because the vans are also used as passenger buses in certain applications.  

And, none of the vans I looked at featured some of the other electronic safety features or even offered them as optional equipment. 

Isn't it time to include air bags on Class A's,  and offer features like forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking,  adaptive cruise control,  blind spot warnings including lane departure and rear cross traffic as optional features? 

I'm having rear proximity sensors put on my coach and have already upgraded to a high definition rear camera and front camera for ease of parking.  

When you're on the road,  safety is first.  

What's your opinion about this?  

That is fine in theory, and  applaud you for adding to your coach.  I'm not sure though how all (or some) of those features would transpose from passenger vehicles to truck size vehicles.  Braking systems are quite different.  Many of us are towing most of the time.  I'll bet that in the future, when trucks start to have them, we will too.  But it will come from there first.  The truck industry will have to pay for the development.  Our industry doesn't have the economic muscle to get the feds to push for that.

Understood, if it's any consolation, the heavier the vehicle, the more likely you are to survive an accident, but, IF  you get thrown through the windshield, you're probably NOT going to survive it under any circumstances.  The problem with the Class A is that there's virtually nothing standing between you and the windshield, ergo, the street...  At least with the front engine Class C or even my small nosed Class B Diesel... there's a barrier between us and the front end, plus, we have front the front driver's and passenger air bags.. side air bags would have been nice.... 

Don't really know if air bags would work on the Class A...? However, the airbag would come from the steering wheel or front dashboard ... anything to stop you from flying out the front..

We don't tow anything...I hate towing.....I actually have a small teardrop trailer that I'm trying to sell ...we tow it with our car... 😁😁😁

As for braking systems, we have four wheel disc brakes and ABS, plus electronic stability control... pretty good system.. much like our car.. I'm not worried about stopping.. 

With all of us "baby boomers" easing into retirement...and there's a legion of us out there,  it would behoove us to push the FEDS to make this happen.... after all, they're all about road safety, why not trucks.. Will not happen if it isn't raised..

And, we're entering the period of "self driving cars"... this will be, in my opinion, the next cultural shift in driving.. As self driving cars become more and more ubiqutous, the insurance industry is going to write policies that penalize the driver who is NOT driving a computer controlled car.... WHY?  Because, computers don't make mistakes people do and don't take unnecessary risks. 

We should all be "lucky" that we're living in the last phase of cars and RVs that are piloted by actual people....It might take a while, but, the days of getting behind your own machine and being on the road are numbered. 

Any safety developments are helpful in reducing road stress. 

8 minutes ago, MWeiner said:

Don't really know if air bags would work on the Class A...? However, the airbag would come from the steering wheel or front dashboard ... anything to stop you from flying out the front..

So you don't think the mandated seat belts/shoulder belts will work? 

Some good ideas out there but we are 40++ years away from anything but a limited use. Who is going to pay for the trillions of dollars in road improvements to make it even remotely possible. They will need to spend much more than that just to keep the roads in the sad state they are in know. Who is going to spend that money when it isn't financially feasible to make a profit doing it. Please explain to me how you are going to convince a trucking company to spend the millions for a computer driven truck when they can spend less than $100,000 a year on a driver that does the same thing.

Perfect example Uber bragging about starting a taxi service with self driving cars is a pipe dream. Uber can't afford to do it. When they get rid of the drivers they get rid of the cars. The drivers own the cars. So now what.:P 

Bill

This entire topic assumes that individuals cannot or should not accept responsibility for our actions. Although I am new to driving a Class A motorhome, I have driven in every single state except Hawaii. Technology is great, but like WildeBill asked...who is going to pay for it? By the time all these ideas are forced on the people, I will be dead. Thank God! Anyone read lately about a pilotless car having a wreck? One hit a police car recently. We are far, far away from being able to do this. I will take my chances and move forward. I don't need a government agency to drive me to the store, to the doctor or anywhere. Sorry for the negativity but I believe in personal responsibility. Happy Trails to each of us!

My coach is equipped with a Vorad anti-collision system that includes adaptive cruise control, proximity detection alert, as well as blind spot protection.  It's been available for awhile ... at a cost.

T

CarlAda- 

GREAT... good for you... Forward thinking...

Bill, KJNJ48-.  YES, I understand that this is years away.... even though I'm 65,  I'm not sure I'll see the full implementation of what I'm suggesting here, BUT, it's good to have a dialogue about safety. 

Yes, mandatory seat/shoulder belts... take a look at this website below,

http://www.rvhelpdesk.com/seatbelt-laws.html

"RVs are not required to have rear occupant crash testing or meet Federal seat belt standards for rear seating positions. ... Several state laws require seat belt use for the front seats only while other states say all children must be properly restrained.May 19, 2016"

Some older coaches are exempted from regulations.. but, most of those will gradually be off the road with time...

I am sure that I'm going to catch some flack for saying this, but, newer RVs on road, just like newer cars are safer older cars from 20 years ago and older.

There's no requirement for rear passengers, but, I have three seat belts in the rear bench seat in my 2012 RS Adventurous. They were factory installed.  AND, the two front seats and second row of bucket seats behind the driver do have shoulder/seat belts... We removed our 2nd row of seats and installed the optional cabinets for extra storage... works better for the two of us..😁😁

Our vehicle is primarily a two person coach...

Google self driving cars have logged over a million miles... bottom line,  in almost every case the self driving cars were NOT at fault.... almost every situation was caused by the regular person behind the wheel using poor judgement. 

All of the electronic gadetry that's coming to cars today are the cutting edge of self driving cars of the future.

As I stated earlier, I think it's GREAT that we're living in the last phase of regular people driving....

You want to know who's going to pay for it?  We all are..but, there's going to be a tremendous amount of money saved from the millions of dollars paid out for accidents every year....Self  driving cars will ease traffic and make commute times faster...

Someday,  people will say ..."remember when we used to drive ourselves"... that will be sad for car enthusiasts. 

There's always going to be some exceptions.. and if you want to pay higher premiums, you'll still be able to pilot your own vehicle, but, it will cost more...

Actually, those doing this, will enjoy fewer traffic congestion. 

Could I be wrong??  Perhaps, but, look at all the other high technology stuff that's happened in the last 30 years.

A lot of what you're proposing Mweiner, is more government regulations. In my opinion and its only my opinion, we have far too many government regulations today.

Too many government regulations for sure! I don't allow anyone to ride without a seatbelt, but every seat does not have a seatbelt. There is typically two people riding in my coach, so I don't want a seat belt on every seat. There was a topic a while back about pets riding and not riding restrained, my pets are not permitted to wander freely in the MH while it is moving, I have small cages that they ride in and are bolted to the floor for the same reason. Yes safety can be a major concern, and for this reason, I vote for personal responsibility. Keeping tires up to date is a personal responsibility, and a far greater safety concern for me than worrying about a need for an airbag. Airplanes and commercial motor carriers are still not using airbags yet, don't you think that if everybody needs them that the GOVERNMENT would mandate that. If you want to feel safer, add your own and don't tell uncle sam to come meddling in my life.

This post assumes all Class A's are created equal, they are not! Gas vs Diesel, chassis manufacture and coach manufacture all play a part. Another important safety item, having enough room in the middle of the night to get to the toilet without smashing your feet, shoulders or head in a cramped interior.

We are equipped with 9 seat belts, only on forward facing or side facing seats. A DP in most cases has a large generator residing between the frame rails inches behind the front of the coach. A Van is designed with crumple zones to work in conjunction with air bags. No crumple zones an a motorhome, its just steel, lots of beefy steel, not tin and plastic like a modern day car. Here is a video from Roadmaster explaining the safety cage built into their chassis, this is just one chassis manufactures design, I'm sure the others have items in place.

I long for days gone by when we didn't have Seat Belts, Shoulder Harnesses, Air bags and Bolted down Car Seats. My kids were able to sleep in the seat with out being strapped in and their heads bobbing in a very painful way. Our child restraint was our arm. Back then I can't remember having accidents where so many children were injured or killed. We drove with the understanding that our first thing was to drive safely to protect those we loved. We drove knowing we had to be the one to protect and not some government regulation saying we are safe now since they required manufacturer to put in all the safety devices that don't help one bit.

Now, I am off my soap box and going back to the Topic.

Thank you,

Herman

The only government mandate that I would like to see happen is, force the cell phone companies put the necessary software on the phones that would insure that the phone will not work at all if the phone is closer than 39 inches of the steering wheel circumference of any vehicle. Texting while driving and dialing the phone while driving is now causing more accidents than DUI. SADDDDD!  With today technology, it is not impossible to do, only lobbiest will be able to keep this from happening. With bluetooth technology, there is no need for a driver to have a cellphone within hands reach of the steering wheel, if they can't say it, they don't need to send it. Now I will back off of my soapbox.:rolleyes:LOL!

WOW, seems like I hit a "nerve" with several of you on "government regulations", sorry.  All I can say is that seat belts, air bags any many other things save lives, it's been a proven fact for years.... I guess if you don't believe that, nothing I say is going to change your mind.

jleamont-. I watched the Road Master video, and thank you, it was very impressive.

K- I agree with you , good idea.... I use Bluetooth in all my vehicles and have integrated audio for the cellphone.  In fact, Android Auto is especially good. 

Kay, I have often wondered why technology like you mentioned is not in use. Common sense isn't so common anymore :(, we need technology to prevent people from hurting themselves.

Mr. Weiner, I believe you may have missed the point, I agree air bags do save lives, in a vehicle the size of yours, absolutely and in a vehicle that is built for such to work in conjunction with all other safety equipment, absolutely.

In a bus type chassis or class A DP where the steering column usually comes up from the floor, what's it going to do other then punch you in the jaw, break your nose if deployed or it could very likely just pass by you and become a hindrance since its usually pointed almost toward the ceiling. You could argue that a collapsible steering column should be standard (as it is in all automobiles), but you would not take a steering column directly in the chest like in your van as its not pointing at you. Another thought, when someone needs a little help sitting and leans on it and the steering column collapses as its designed (believe me it doesn't take much), now the vehicle parked until it can be fixed, id bet that would happen more than it ever could save someone as its not pointed at the driver. The passenger side of the dash is so far from the passenger the air bag would need to be a queen size mattress just to do anything :lol: (sorry the mental picture is hilarious). Have you ever looked inside a Class A DP with front entry? My wife's seat reclines and there is a foot rest that comes up like a home recliner, if she tries she cannot reach the dash with the tips of her toes.

We run collision avoidance systems at work, while I agree they do work, they work well for the driver that has noting to loose barreling down the highway, the guy in the Coach that he worked so hard to purchase has a different perspective on his equipment. Those systems are expensive and require a bunch of maintenance to keep them operational. One radar eye malfunction and the engine light is on $3500 late its fixed :o.

Herman, you may be entitled to your own opinion, but your not entitled to your own  facts.. I'm not trying to upset you or anyone else, but, this is an important topic and the government  regulations have really helped more than you think. 

I'm sure that you are doing all you can for driving safety, but it only takes one person to run out of control and hit you. 

http://www.youthforroadsafety.org/news-blog/news-blog-item/t/seatbelts_saving_thousands_of_lives_around_the_world_everyday

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812374

"According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), more than 15,000 lives are saved each year in the United States because drivers and their passengers were wearing seat belts when they were in a road traffic crash.Feb 20, 2012"

This below is simply NOT TRUE.  Sorry.

"I long for days gone by when we didn't have Seat Belts, Shoulder Harnesses, Air bags and Bolted down Car Seats. My kids were able to sleep in the seat with out being strapped in and their heads bobbing in a very painful way. Our child restraint was our arm. Back then I can't remember having accidents where so many children were injured or killed. We drove with the understanding that our first thing was to drive safely to protect those we loved.

We drove knowing we had to be the one to protect and not some government regulation saying we are safe now since they required manufacturer to put in all the safety devices that don't help one bit."

Seat belts, airbags and other new developments have made vehicle safety much better and it gets better every year. 

Mark, not a nerve for me either, my wife often makes remarks that there should be a law. I tell her all the time that what is more common sense than laws, there are many laws already on the books that no one can, or will enforce. Just an example, there are laws on the books that state no video device shall be placed within viewing distance of the driver, if it could be enforced, it would. A smart phone while being used to show video, or view text messages, is a video device. A very simple app would be to have the phone simply not show any video if the phone is moving faster than two miles per hour, but all the other passengers in the vehicle would be penalized for just riding in that vehicle. Air bags are good but they have their place, I do strongly support the use of seat belts.

MWeiner, you are comparing apples to oranges. Your little van rv needs everything you can do to protect you. A class A dp is much more like a semi truck. My generator which is the same size as your engine is in front and I sit 4+ feet from the front windshield.  The rear of the coach is 38' behind me . I drive at 60-62 mph on the highway and am very aware of my position at all times. You are in a car like vehicle and as such are at far more risk.

Dreaming about what will and won't be is nonproductive at this point.

Roland

Since seat belts are the law in every state I have had the pleasure to travel in I have used them for most all of my driving career since they have been available. That spans over 50 years.

5 minutes ago, rfsod48 said:

Since seat belts are the law in every state I have had the pleasure to travel in I have used them for most all of my driving career since they have been available. That spans over 50 years.

I can remember the last time I didn't wear a seatbelt. 1971 Dodge Demon was the car and I was 16 years old and just put armor all on the vinyl floor and seat, went for a ride, turned a corner, ended up on the passenger side floor :lol:, I still laugh about that. A few more driving years under my belt and the advice from someone with more experience could have prevented that.

Some of us on here have been driving longer than seat belts have been standard equipment. People had respect back then, they respected the lives of their passengers, themselves and the people around them on the road, cautious and courteous driving was what you did, being courteous to others was a way of life in general. Now everyone is in a hurry, technology is more important that the car load of kids driving next to you on the freeway, very sad world today.

So the poor person driving that rv didn't have their seat belt on? He or she should have watched the video that is linked to that video to be more prepared to keep the crash from happening.