I agree kaypsmith, it seems that the driver decelerated instead of accelerating to gain control. It also seems to me that the rv was traveling faster than most of us drive. The most critical safety device in your motorhome is you the driver.

Roland

K- Great video... thanks for sharing.... I personally replace my tires every 5 years regardless of mileage... And, after purchasing my RS Adventurous, I replaced all 7 tires, yes, 7... spare included with brand new

Michelin Defender LT tires...215/85 /16 - the exact size required.. plus the Truck Systems Technologies monitor system.

You can't fool around with safety... and I noticed that the video and several other posts above say that they ALWAYS use their seat belts.. good for all of you. 

---MARK

K- 

Saw your Greyhound bus conversion in another post...WOW...

What a magnificent vehicle..can you please post an inside picture.. how difficult was it finding this gem... paint and exterior look immaculate. I'm sure that the inside is just as nice.  You could easily be living in it, but, know you don't. 

MPG- 7 ? 

You didn't hit a nerve with me either, Mark. I recommended to you on another thread to accept the fact that we all have our opinions and just because they don't agree with yours does not make them wrong. Since I don't live in California, I have a concern with all the government overreach that is being pushed by some. You poor people are regulated on almost everything and thats fine, just don't mandate it on the rest of us.

I'm still giggling over the queen size mattress blowing out of the dash. Surely they would require that be a pillowtop.

Maybe it would be one of the new latex mattresses!

Yes, California is a land unto its own with a different mentality towards government.

Mark, will take a few new shots when it's daylight, and start a new thread. I bought this jewel on ebay in 2009, and have been very happy with the end results. 7.5 on last 680 round trip towing my little Geo Tracker. And thanks.

Guys- Regarding CA, yeah, we have a lot of regulations here.. BUT, let me tell you that I'm a native Californian and remember the "smog alert days" from the 1960s...it was really BAD. 

Today, the air quality is much better and EXCEPT for the mass of humanity that is here in Los Angeles where we live, it sometimes gets a bit overwhelming. LA has the dubious distinction of being "Number One" in traffic congestion...no kidding. 

SO, we enjoy VERY much traveling out of town and visiting smaller towns. We're taking a cross country road trip with the RS Adventurous this fall. It will be a 7,500 miles journey around the United States.. good thing we're getting 18 plus MPG. 

As we'll be on the road touring, you bet that safety is a very high concern of mine. 

Jim, as I stated earlier... we're all entitled to an opinion.. especially where to live, what type of vehicle you want to have, etc. BUT, there's only one set of facts.... There's incontrovertible evidence that seat belts, air bags and other safety equipment saves lives which is why it was mandated by the Federal Government in 1975...

YES, it's still daylight in Los Angeles ...it's 7:05 PM here. 

12 hours ago, MWeiner said:

Jim, as I stated earlier... we're all entitled to an opinion.. especially where to live, what type of vehicle you want to have, etc.

Mark, Mark, Mark, its not my opinion to live in Texas, its my desire. Its not my opinion to drive and tow a Jeep Wrangler, its my desire. My opinion would be Texas is the best place for me to live and my opinion would be towing a Jeep Wrangler gives more flexibility.  Please don't get desires, needs and wants confused with opinions.

Have a great day and watch for those driver-less cars and no I don't need an electric powered motorhome. But, I may need a queen size mattress installed on my dash.

Jim , yeah, that was a bad example.... what I should have said was...you can have an opinion about anything you want...but , things like 2 plus 2 equals 4....NO, you can't have an opinion about that.

Facts are facts, and proven evidence shows that seat belts and many other safety equipment in vehicles despite the fact that it's government regulations has been an accepted fact for a very long time.

Mark, I think you may need to reread the NHTSA statements on the effectiveness of seat & shoulder belts and air bags.

These facts are quite true, but only for passenger vehicles (cars, vans, light trucks). 

Elkhartjim, kaypsmith and others are trying to indicate that, where your Class B & our Class C are included within that group -- and, therefore, are required to have belts &/or air bags, Class A's and other vehicles built on bare chassis (school buses in most states, public transit buses, fire apparatus, etc.) are not similarly required. These vehicles don't have air bags because the distance between dashboard / steering wheel and seat is too far for a rapidly deployed air bag to be effective in a collision meeting NHTSA's testing criteria. Also, unlike passenger vehicles where the steering wheel is primarily vertical, the steering wheel in these vehicles is closer to horizontal -- so a standard air bag deploying from the wheel center would be less effective.

If you are so concerned about safety in these vehicles, ask why aren't school buses -- the vehicles transporting our future generations -- required by most states to have passenger seat belts?

(Disclaimer - I worked for Chrysler - Sterling Heights and Highland Park, and GM - Ren Cen.)

Jim, didn't know you were another Jeep guy! We love the flexibility of the Wrangler also. Off roading adventure, Convertible, easy to tow, I can hang the bikes off the back in the hitch or my firewood rack and bikes.

When I draft up the Queen mattress air bag I will post it for approval, I want to make sure its eco-friendly also, got it, ill make it out of Bamboo, back to the drawing board :lol:

The video of the class A blowing a tire has been on this website before. Could be wrong, but I think the  driver and passenger walked away from it. 

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Jim, didn't know you were another Jeep guy! We love the flexibility of the Wrangler also. Off roading adventure, Convertible, easy to tow, I can hang the bikes off the back in the hitch or my firewood rack and bikes.

When I draft up the Queen mattress air bag I will post it for approval, I want to make sure its eco-friendly also, got it, ill make it out of Bamboo, back to the drawing board :lol:

Heck yeah....2005 Wrangler TJ, lifted and all that stuff for off roading and a 2016 Wrangler JKU for mall crawling.

If you expect to receive royalties from Callyfornia sells, the airbag will definitely need to be eco-friendly. Wildebill is hung up on a memory foam.

26 minutes ago, Elkhartjim said:

Heck yeah....2005 Wrangler TJ, lifted and all that stuff for off roading and a 2016 Wrangler JKU for mall crawling.

UGH, sold the 03 TJ with the 3.5" lift and 35" tires under it. DW bought a 14 JKU Polar edition in Hydro blue. She got worried when I started to measure the engine bay in the TJ for a Cummins 4BT or a Hemi. I told her they both will fit in the JKU, don't worry about it! Now when I open the hood on the JKU she's all over me :lol: 

Next time onto CA I will have to turn up the Fuel on the DP at their little Frutti inspection point make some friends as I drive through. Between the 6" low flow exhaust, Engine brake and the smoke it wont take long :D Already sounds like a thunderstorm off in a distance slowing down.

Headed to NJ this weekend, almost as bad :rolleyes:

thestoloffs-. Thanks for this....I understand that it's currently NOT REQUIRED.

BUT, is that the best answer here.   You wrote

"These vehicles don't have air bags because the distance between dashboard / steering wheel and seat is too far for a rapidly deployed air bag to be effective in a collision meeting NHTSA's testing criteria." 

Should they be retrofitted or redesigned?  YES, they should..

You wouldn't fly on airlines that don't have safety equipment would you? Maybe the airbag needs to deployed from the sides and ceiling?  I think all of these things need to be questioned and just saying it's not effective is not an effort to make these vehicles safer for everyone.  YES, I understand that a "standard airbag" may not work... isn't it time to ask whether a solution is possible?  We've found a way to land on the moon...I'm sure there's a solution for this too.   My two cents. 

Will it be expensive? Sure..all new technology is.  Where would we be if no one ever asked about seat belts in cars?  Now, 40 plus years later we have seat belts, airbags and other standard equipment in cars.  I'm sure that plenty of people prior to the mandatory seat belts in cars would have benefitted from them in the 40s, 50s, and 60s.

Look, if people don't actually die from these accidents, they might well be hospitalized, rack up high medical bills, maybe declare bankruptcy, if their insurance runs,  out  and guess who pays for all of that... yes, we do.  

Picking fly specks out of cow____ aren't you. Logged many miles as a career trucker. Have seen some spectacular crashes involving autos, and a some involving 18 wheelers, but oddly, in spite of a very good memory, I don't recall many involving Class A units. My dad started RVing in the late 70s and we started with a rental unit in 1986. Because of that I had an interest in RV happenings. Still shaking my head about all of the concern on the OP's part.🤔

1 hour ago, desertdeals69 said:

I was once told by a trucker if you see a car headed toward you head-on just raise your feet and let them go under.

😎😂. Always said I wouldn't hit the ditch and maybe not make it,  because of another's stupidity. That is dark but very funny.

Mark, have you ever been in a class A diesel pusher? If you haven't then I understand you not getting it but if you have you are clueless on how airbags work. Stop trying to regulate a class of vehicle that you have no experience with and its evident you have little to no knowledge of.

I'm finished with this foolishness. You guys enjoy the thread; I'm going to work on a biodegradable mattress to be used for driver and passenger protection. The people in the back of the bus are on your own.

Regulate on....

46 minutes ago, Elkhartjim said:

Mark, have you ever been in a class A diesel pusher? If you haven't then I understand you not getting it but if you have you are clueless on how airbags work. Stop trying to regulate a class of vehicle that you have no experience with and its evident you have little to no knowledge of.

I'm finished with this foolishness. You guys enjoy the thread; I'm going to work on a biodegradable mattress to be used for driver and passenger protection. The people in the back of the bus are on your own.

Regulate on....

Great.😊

3 hours ago, obedb said:

Picking fly specks out of cow____ aren't you. Logged many miles as a career trucker. Have seen some spectacular crashes involving autos, and a some involving 18 wheelers, but oddly, in spite of a very good memory, I don't recall many involving Class A units. My dad started RVing in the late 70s and we started with a rental unit in 1986. Because of that I had an interest in RV happenings. Still shaking my head about all of the concern on the OP's part.🤔

Shoot. I get no credit? 😎

Byron,

A total mistake on my part to not include you in the intelligent group😁. I think that the OP likes to pontificate about things he might not be well versed in. This forum is a great place to learn and hopefully he will avail himself of that.

Roland