jarldyrud1

Insurance For Stored Household Goods

We would like to sell our home and full time, but not forever, so we want to store our household goods. 

But without an insured residence, we can't find decent insurance for our stored goods. 

Any suggestions?

A rented storage unit.  Not a residence.  State Farm knows this and has it covered.  Maybe things have changed recently, but it was not even a question when we got the insurance.

Most storage units can also provide you with insurance on the property stored but you need to carefully read what is or is not covered and for what amount.

I find it hard to believe that most insurance companies would not write a renters insurance policy on a rented storage unit.  Are you a USAA member?  AARP?  Someone certainly must if the storage units have companies that will.

USAA will insure your furniture, etc in a storage unit and it's reasonable...also, whoever you go with, get a separate umbrella policy.  All State and USAA is $40 per million, per month.  Cheep !

On 7/17/2017 at 4:52 PM, wajames said:

A rented storage unit.  Not a residence.  State Farm knows this and has it covered.  Maybe things have changed recently, but it was not even a question when we got the insurance.

When we were full timing, this is what we did. No problems, and this included personal liability. About $275/year to insure a unit (10x30) in Alabama. Be sure that you get a climate controlled unit! Just gave it up this past March, when we moved back into a S&B.

A renter's policy is part of our coverage for full-timing (personal effects in the RV, some liability, and the usual things that go with renter's or homeowner's insurance) through USAA. As part of this coverage, our things in storage are also covered at no additional cost. 

Rob

OldRVer.  Welcome to the Forum!

When did USAA get back to insuring RV's?  I had USAA for all my Class A rigs. from 1967 until 2006, then they referred me to Progressive. Said they did not do RV's or Motorcycles any more!

5 hours ago, OldRVer said:

A renter's policy is part of our coverage for full-timing (personal effects in the RV, some liability, and the usual things that go with renter's or homeowner's insurance) through USAA. As part of this coverage, our things in storage are also covered at no additional cost. 

Rob

Welcome to the forum.

Bill