I heard about these plugs for the Blue Ox base plate. I never got any plugs when I got my baseplate. So I started looking. Amazon had them for a little over $5.50 each but found them on E Trailer for $1.39 ea. ;)

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Blue-Ox/BX290-0437.html

I think they will keep the inside of the tubes cleaner and less rust. For the rust I recommend the dry film lube from John Deere.

Bill

That's odd.....our 'Blue Ox baseplates came with the plugs.

Good to know they are available in case someone "borrows" ours!

Blake

Mine did not come with plugs either.  I didn't know such a thing existed.  I will have to grab a couple.  Thanks.

My latest Blue Ox baseplate came with plugs, but they fit so loosely that they are now lost.  On my previous baseplate that did not come with plugs, I bought a couple of hitch ball covers that fit very tightly and lasted the full time I had that toad.  I guess I'll have to get those again.

I went to Wally World and got the rubber covers used on hitch balls like for boat trailer hitches. A little tight but a little lube and they will go on. Used for 2 yrs never lost one.

Go to Lowes / Home Depot.  Buy 2 Fernco rubber pipe caps.  Toss the clamps.  The caps fit perfectly and keep inside and outside clean.  

Now I have to go too. I bet they are more than the $1.39 ea. at E Trailer.:)

Hear is a suggestion if they are loose in your baseplate. You can run a bead of silicone around the plugs under the lip. wipe a little oil or spray the receptacle's with silicone. plug them in and let them set overnight. The silicone should be set up and you can trim off any excess. Or wrap the plugs with a little electrical tape. I could go on but you get the idea.:lol:

Bill

On 7/19/2017 at 9:06 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

I heard about these plugs for the Blue Ox base plate. I never got any plugs when I got my baseplate. So I started looking. Amazon had them for a little over $5.50 each but found them on E Trailer for $1.39 ea. ;)

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Blue-Ox/BX290-0437.html

I think they will keep the inside of the tubes cleaner and less rust. For the rust I recommend the dry film lube from John Deere.

Bill

Blue Ox states to grease the receptacles.  I have not had a problem with the inside rusting. However, the part that twists in does rust because I take them out all the time. I used a wire brush on a drill and then used some rustoleum black flat spray paint. I have had them since '13 and not problems.  Same with the covers. Came with the baseplate and so far so good, still have them.

On 7/19/2017 at 10:00 PM, blakeloke said:

That's odd.....our 'Blue Ox baseplates came with the plugs.

Good to know they are available in case someone "borrows" ours!

Blake

I need a spare, where do you park?

You can find my plugs hear.   LONGATUDE:-97.4466  LATITUDE: 32.5142. 

I like the dry film lube over grease as it doesn't attract dirt. I also spray the inserts to protect the wear areas from rusting.:P

Bill

2 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Blue Ox states to grease the receptacles.  I have not had a problem with the inside rusting. However, the part that twists in does rust because I take them out all the time. I used a wire brush on a drill and then used some rustoleum black flat spray paint. I have had them since '13 and not problems.  Same with the covers. Came with the baseplate and so far so good, still have them.

I need a spare, where do you park?

The Jeep is in the warehouse now.....but we'll be in Bristol in a few weeks!

Blake

8 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Okay, now I know where to get my plugs.

Not necessarily I moved the toad to LONGITUDE: -97.2037  LATITUDE: 32.8471

What is TLI ?

Bill

No I use to work for a small startup company on the west side of Fort Worth. You probably never heard of them, Lockheed Martin.:P

I was buy TLI and they looked open. Hadn't seen much activity over there for a while.

Bill