wolfe10

What Spare Parts To Carry

I posted this a few minutes ago in response to the question: What spare parts do you recommend carrying? But it is an important subject that really should be covered as a separate topic of its own.

Engine belts and extra fuel filter(s) are both reasonably high failure rate items that can leave you on the side of the road. They are also both relatively inexpensive and can be installed by service personnel virtually anywhere.

If your chassis is over 3 years old, replace the belts NOW. That does several things:

1. Guarantees that they are the correct size.

2. Puts new belts on the engine, so they are less likely to break.

3. Gives you a spare set of belts.

Spare fuses are another inexpensive high failure rate item.

I also recommend carrying quantities of all your fluids (engine oil, distilled water, coolant, Transynd/ATF, etc). It keeps you from putting in the wrong fluid and doing real damage or having to spend your valuable time hunting for the correct fluid in the middle of nowhere.

Also, FRESH (they have a short shelf life) SCA test strips if you have a diesel and the correct SCA additive/filter compatible with your brand of coolant.

Other than that, it depends on your skill level and also on how far off the beaten path you go. For example when we travel to Mexico, we carry a spare (unmounted) tire, as our size is not available in Mexico and a spare fresh water pump.

Brett Wolfe

Hello Brett, I noticed one of your recommendations was a fuel filter, I am assuming you are refering to the gas/water separator and if so what causes these to fail? Is it that they just get clogged? When buying spare parts like you mentioned do you purchase them at a truck stop? I am on my first diesel rv and was use to being able to buy almost everything I needed for my gas coach at any local checker auto parts store

Hello Brett, I noticed one of your recommendations was a fuel filter, I am assuming you are refering to the gas/water separator and if so what causes these to fail? Is it that they just get clogged? When buying spare parts like you mentioned do you purchase them at a truck stop? I am on my first diesel RV and was use to being able to buy almost everything I needed for my gas coach at any local checker auto parts store

Actually, you need a spare for EACH of your fuel filters. Most, but not all diesels have TWO:

A PRIMARY fuel filter/water separator and a SECONDARY fuel filter. The primary filter has a course filter element (10-30 micron) and the secondary has a fine filter element (2-5 micron depending on engine). And if you only have one fuel filter/water separator, it MUST have a fine filter element or you will "throw rocks at your injectors". And if I purchased a coach with only a single filter, I would gladly pay my money to add a second. Remember the order: fuel tank, primary filter/water separator, lift pump, secondary filter, engine.

As to how they fail and why you need to carry spares-- fuel filters are one of the few things that have NO AVERAGE LIFE EXPECTANCY. If all they see is clean fuel, they could filter a million gallons and only need to be replaced every couple of years as the filter media breaks down from age.

But, one tank of fuel contaminated with dirt, rust, water, etc can clog up the filter(s) very quickly.

And the filters you purchase should be those recommended/speced by your chassis maker as they are the ones who make that decision. And be sure to order the filter elements by part numbers, not, for example "I need a fuel filter for my Freightliner chassis". Freighliner sold chassis with both single and (proper) two filter configurations. If the last filter the counterman sold was for a two filter system and he just pulls the same part number off the shelf, you just replaced your 2 or 5 micron filter element with a 30 (if you happen to have the single filter set-up). Very expensive mistake.

Brett Wolfe

A very important threat, but it must be viewed from two viewpoints: are you a fix-it person or are you a cell phone person.

Personally, although I enjoy woodworking, I am a cell phone person.

Over the years I have collected a few pounds of assorted nuts and bolts, which can be used in a temporary repair. I also carry a few feet of fence wire, useful in fastening loose parts. An assortment of tools that can be used in "gross repairs" and duct tape, the universal fix all.

As for parts, we carry an unmounted 22.5 tire, purchased for our Mexico trip 2 years ago. Although the tire is beyond date of 5 years, I hope it will do in a pinch to keep me going for a few hundred miles.

I have no misconception that I could ever change the tire by myself. As for fluids, a container of oil for the generator and engine, but if needed I would probably purchase a new container from the campground or service station and keep the old one forever.

Thus, my most important spare part is my cell phone and my Emergency Roadside Assistance membership. Hopefully I will be in phone range for help, or I will be capable of unhooking the toad and driving to a high spot to get phone reception.

I do not and will not every knock those who fix their own rigs. I salute you, and hope you will come to my assistance if it is ever needed. But I question those who carry extra parts they have no idea what to do with, such as an extra battery, extra belts, spare fuel pump, etc. In the hands of a mechanic items of value, in the hands of a fellow traveler, paperweights.

Happy Trails to all and a wonderful New Year.

Gary,

I view carrying spares as EQUALLY important for those who do their own work and those who "use their cell phone".

As I posted earlier, lots of other people can do the work for you (just pick up your cell phone). BUT, expecting that they can get their hands on the right part at 6 PM in the middle of nowhere is a completely different matter.

And, you mention carrying a spare unmounted tire in Mexico-- I do the same. I have no illusions of changing it myself. But with the proper tire, it is easy to have the spare mounted and installed locally. I view belts and filters in the same light.

Brett Wolfe

But I question those who carry extra parts they have no idea what to do with, such as an extra battery, extra belts, spare fuel pump, etc. In the hands of a mechanic items of value, in the hands of a fellow traveler, paperweights.

The problem can be that these items, such as belts, fuel pump, etc can at times be several days away when you need them so even if you only call a mechanic, having the parts for him to put in can save you lots of down time. It doesn't matter if YOU know what to do with them, only that you have them for someone else to put in if you need them. Even fairly common tire sizes can be several days away and usually will be when your in a hurry (Murphy's Law).

Brett,

Thanks for the suggestion about changing the belts on the engine. I haven't had any problem but changing now will put new belts in place and I'll have the old belts as a spare in case of emergency.

Gary,

I view carrying spares as EQUALLY important for those who do their own work and those who "use their cell phone".

As I posted earlier, lots of other people can do the work for you (just pick up your cell phone). BUT, expecting that they can get their hands on the right part at 6 PM in the middle of nowhere is a completely different matter.

And, you mention carrying a spare unmounted tire in Mexico-- I do the same. I have no illusions of changing it myself. But with the proper tire, it is easy to have the spare mounted and installed locally. I view belts and filters in the same light.

Brett Wolfe

I agree if I would have had the spare belt the mechanic could still have come on Christmas Day (he would not have had to wait for the parts house to open the next day) and we would have been in San Diego, instead of Sentinel AZ with the Border Patrol.

Hope your visit with the Border Patrol added to their holiday spirit and made their holiday more pleasant, away from their families.

I do follow the thoughts of all who have posted, and I do appreciate your input.

As for me, I just know that if I had an extra engine belt on hand I would: A) not be able to find it. B)remember that we had used it as a clothes line at the beach. C) finally found the belt to realize that it had rotted in storage or been damaged by adjacent tools.

But thanks anyway.

Best regards, Gary

I usually carry a top & bottom radiator hose, a bypass coolant hose and ten feet of both heater hoses. All of the hoses on my 454 Chevy gas engine are fairly easy to get to after a lengthy cool down of the engine. Also I carry one of each type/size bulb for interior & exterior lights.

We carry a spare of every belt, filter (other than the air filter), fuse, and fluid that the motorhome requires. We also carry a supply of light bulbs for the coach and whatever we are towing.

We don't carry a spare tire, or extra cooling system hoses. We don't have room for everything and just keep a close watch on those items.

Safe travels to you all,

Tim Shields

Well, it's really nice to hear others carry spare tire and water pump, etc. I carry enough equipment with us, and have more in storage, that my wife wanted to put me on the Hoarders program. I carefully explained the value of "critical components and tools", but it appeared to fall on deaf ears. Until two separate occasions in which we would have otherwise been stranded on the road. Funny, I don't hear the H word any longer, but she still sure likes that program. Ehh!

I have always tried to avoid "single source" items. I really enjoy our hydronic coach/engine heating and hot water system and the comfort and versatility it affords us. But I'm also painfully aware the manufacturer (still in business) is not manufacturing most of the internal parts for this particular design. So I have been purchasing spare essential components to use when necessary. Even if never used, these items are considered insurance, just like medical or vehicle insurance. They are all nice to have when you need them.

Granted, many would say just replace it with a similar unit. Well, I agree with that scenario when it's appropriate. In fact I currently have sitting in the van a new Magnum inverter that will replace the old and worn out (ripple, noise, etc.) OEM unit installed by the coach manufacturer. I just need to find the time to do it. The point here is the new Magnum will fit in the same area as the existing unit, with very little if any wiring changes. Not so with the ITR hydronic unit. The new versions are larger and will not fit in the existing area. Yes, I could put it in a corner of a storage bay with a wallet about $10K lighter, but either option is not a viable solution for me to keep the heat on.

Your mileage may vary.

Tools. Both American & Metric. Put them in a good tool box in an easy location to get to. It never fail that when we are at a rally, someone will have a problem and one of us can and will come to the rescue. Brett is correct. Extras of lots of items are good to have on hand. Relays, Belts Hoses (and clamps), Duct Tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't use the Duct Tape. If it should move and doesn't use the WD40. Old but true. Always , if you can, be aware of where you are going and what kind of service may or may not be avaliable.

Happy RVing.

Lots of spare parts for engines and mechanical but I also carry latches for the drawers and doors in the motor home. Ours are plastic and they are breaking on a fairly regular basis. I also have a supply of the spring hinges on our overhead cabinets. Our drawer rails have a cheap plastic anchor at the back of each cabinet. I found a stronger replacement at Home Depot and purchased a set for every drawer in the motor home. I'm about 2/3 through the replacement process! After doing some searching I found replacements for a broken hold down strap for our window awnings and I have several in reserve now. As you get to know your coach, your find out what breaks frequently and having a ready supply of these items will keep everything running smoothly without all the hassle of locating a supplier when you are in an unfamiliar area.

I posted an BLOG entry on an experience we had recently with our generator. We have an Onan 7.5 KW generator and it has a belt. I had no idea. When I replaced the serpentine belt on the engine, they asked if I wanted the belt on the generator replaced as well. I said yes - fortunately. When they removed the old belt it was cracked and missing several inches of the inner soft material that interfaces with the pulley. I was within hours of having a generator failure and didn't even know the generator had a belt!

How about a test light and spare fuse kit? A simple 5 amp fuse can stop you from being able to go onto the next camping spot.

Keep in mind though that it sometimes it can be more than just replacing the fuse (there may be another cause of the blown fuse).

I go on many service calls in Washington state to a truck weigh station where they have been pulling motorhomes over for burned out light bulbs, and they won't let them leave until it is fixed, so light bulbs are a must. Kind of strange cause most states issue fix it tickets.