blakeloke

Norcold Refrigerator Lawsuit Settlement

Today we received our first of 4 settlement checks from the Etter et. al. lawsuit.  This check was in the amount of $228.90.  We will receive the same amount each year until 4 total payments are received.

At least covers some of the cost for the residential frig conversion!

Blake

We also received a check, yesterday. Not as much, but our replacement cost may have been less since I did the installation. Four year total is to be $742.20, or about 2/3's of my expense. 

I got my check for $228 also. I could not quite get a residential frig in without a LOT of work. Decided to go with an Amish cooling unit that works great. So the rebate will pay most of the cost (after the 4 installments)  of the cooling unit ($1100) and I did the installation myself.

For some unknown reason serial # 785079FB of my 1999 Norcold 1200LRIM is not included in the recall.:huh:When I entered my S#  on the lawsuit page it said "not included".

In order to increase protection against a potential fire, I have installed an ARP unit.

This recap of the entire Norcold debacle is quite informative, and disheartening-if one wishes to take the time to read the entire webpage.

What really stumps me is, Norcold has not changed the design of the cooling unit, nor have plans to change, according to a man on irv2.com who phoned Thetford and asked, then posted the reply.

ARP unit. What is that?  Vaguely remember reading about some gizmo that reduces the chance of a fire.

Wow...for some of you it was like Publishers Clearing House ringing your doorbell. I received $9.87.  I think I'll frame it and hang it over the Samsung that I replaced it with.

Thanks Joe.....I was actually surprised at the amount.

According to the detail on the check we were awarded "25 of shares in the settlement fund".  So, $37.11 per share.  Court approved fees and expenses were $9.16 above that.  The annual payments, over a 4 year period will total $927.75 (payments are of unequal value).

Not sure how they arrived at the share number but seem to remember that a portion of that decision was for the length of time we had the refrigerator.  In our case, we've had it since 2005.

Blake

All I got was $0. Sorry about your luck, glad your fire didn't yield any fatalities. That's a company that could go out of business and do all of us a favor, as long as the take Lippert with them!

On 7/24/2017 at 8:45 PM, RAYIN said:

For some unknown reason serial # 785079FB of my 1999 Norcold 1200LRIM is not included in the recall.:huh:When I entered my S#  on the lawsuit page it said "not included".

In order to increase protection against a potential fire, I have installed an ARP unit.

This recap of the entire Norcold debacle is quite informative, and disheartening-if one wishes to take the time to read the entire webpage.

What really stumps me is, Norcold has not changed the design of the cooling unit, nor have plans to change, according to a man on irv2.com who phoned Thetford and asked, then posted the reply.

I did the same.  Didn't receive a check.  Best advice is run it on propane as the double elements can overheat and cause a crack.  

huffypuff,

The Fridge Defend/ARP unit will shut off all power if the boiler temperature rises above it's fail-safe temperature setting; then resume power when the boiler temperature drops below that setting automatically. As designed the boiler temperature can exceed 380°F., the Fridge Defend setting is below half that, mine now stays about 189° with the additional blower-type fan running.I had to lower/back off my Norcold temperature setting by 2 because it was freezing the milk.

What surprises me, is that a high dollar new coach, still use No Cold and a residential frig is an option on a $600K unit.:blink:

I always wondered why when they show case one of those units and the MSRP is $658,000.00 and the tested unit was $673,500.00. Now I know why.

That reminds me of a Chevrolet Tahoe they had on display at the Louisiana State Fair. MSPR $ 75,000.00+ but when you looked at the addo on sticker $93,000.00 +. Talk about sticker shock. :wacko:

Herman