cdsuggs

Justification Spreadsheet: Using Motorhome For Business

Several months ago I ran across a spreadsheet showing how using a motorhome on a business can be cheaper than flying, renting a car and staying in a hotel.  Yeah, it had some shortcomings and holes that I could drive my motorhome through, but it was neat for argument purposes.  Does anyone remember seeing that?  I have driven myself to distraction trying to think about where I found it.  Trying to build an argument to justify driving the DW to Orlando and back from Oklahoma next time she has to go to an annual conference.  Gets me a few days in Florida and her not having to decide whether or not to take her laptop or tablet.  Of course, have to convince DOD That it's beneficial to the mission. 

My justification doesn't require a spreadsheet. I found the desire to own one in a bucket full of things I wanted to do before advancing years took over.😉

I didn't see that article, but it's pretty easy to make a case for or against it. I am an IT/computer design engineer, many times I justify the use of the motorhome by including the use for work related purposes, thereby actually writing it off for tax reasons. My wife loves to travel by motorhome so I have no problem convincing her to go this way. Also while traveling she cooks the meals, lunch and dinner, she uses the crockpot, places it in the sink, no way for it to fall off the counter, and she has many recipes. One other excuse that I use is that I don't sleep in someone elses bed, can't stand the thought of sleeping in a motel for this reason. You may want to take on a phobia also. LOL:rolleyes: Did you mean DOD, or DOW?:wub:

If a motorhome is used for business purposes it is considered a Commercial Vehicle and is required to follow all laws that Commercial Vehicles follow.

If you get stopped don't mention business, and don't advertise a business on the side of the MH.

Best, just follow the laws.

I did the whole fly /RV thing a few years back. In the 3ed week it becomes cheaper to travel by RV over fly and rent cars and stay in hotels. The better the RV the longer it takes to be cheaper. I don't think you would ever hit the cheaper point if you bought a new Elegant Lady.:P But the tax wright off  would be spectacular.:o

Bill

Sounds like I didn't state the question right.  It was actually her idea to go by motorhome.  Unfortunately, it's still in the shop with a bad turbo.  The idea is to provide justification to the Med Group Commander that it would be cost effective to the Group to authorize POV travel and billeting the next time she has to go to the conference for per diem and travel purposes.  It's not business purposes.  I just happened to remember running across the spreadsheet and thought it would be fun to look at again on this trip.  Just LEGAL help with the expenses, since DOD/USAF is footing the bill anyway.  I got the company that I worked for several years ago to pay me mileage when I had to go to Long Beach for a conference developing the FFS for the C-17, and those guys are pretty tight, since it comes off their bottom line.

I don't see where it would be that hard. You will probably just get the car rate for mileage.:) 

The extra travel time may be the only sticking point.

Bill

16 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I don't see where it would be that hard. You will probably just get the car rate for mileage.:) 

The extra travel time may be the only sticking point.

Bill

Uncle Sam (that's you and me) is paying a couple of hundred dollars a day for a couple of hundred hotel rooms in the Orlando area for IT folks from all of the services at bases all over the world to talk about military medical record data migration that is a couple of years behind schedule already and won't be complete until after the DW retires.  This conference happens every year.  If I can help save the taxpayers (you and me again) some money while getting me off my southwest Oklahoma red dirt road for a few days, while getting to enjoy the motorhome and maybe getting to visit some family members and friends between here and there, seems like it should be my patriotic duty.  Have to check out the legality of the billeting funds though.  I used to know a guy who quit flying on airplanes after 9/11 and the Air Force used to pay him to drive all over the country inspecting flight simulators, when everyone else on his team was going by air.  :D

I can see where DOD would pay mileage rather than a plane ticket, as long as it wasn't more expensive.  But you'll have to explain your overnight camping fee corresponds to a hotel room, the latter of which they'd pay dollar for dollar...and of course you'll have more over night camping fees since you can't make your trip in one day.  BTW, I spent a month at Altus AFB one day back in the 80s.:(

1 hour ago, FIVE said:

I can see where DOD would pay mileage rather than a plane ticket, as long as it wasn't more expensive.  But you'll have to explain your overnight camping fee corresponds to a hotel room, the latter of which they'd pay dollar for dollar...and of course you'll have more over night camping fees since you can't make your trip in one day.  BTW, I spent a month at Altus AFB one day back in the 80s.:(

Different aircraft, same town.  Wouldn't expect the fees down or back, but $50/night is a lot less that the hotel room.  Have to ask about the legalities if the colonel thinks it will work.  Doesn't hurt to ask.

Let us know how it works out. I can't offer any input as it has ben A LONG TIME since I did any traveling for the AF.:P 

What is the status of your repair work on the coach?

Bill

WHY bother justifying at all...it's a choice.  I really don't think after you add up all the costs for acquiring the vehicle, maintenance, depreciation, and repairs you'll be saving anything. 

Just enjoy it.   Remember that you're in your own vehicle, clean bed, sheets, own private bathroom on the road... AND, the peace of mind and quiet of your own space.

The government has a set payment for mileage and perdeim. What you do is submit a expense report for the number of miles to and from your home to the destination and back. I believe they use the mileage from google maps. Plus the number of days on the road.

What your DW visit with the Dispersing Officer and ask the best way to submit a expense report for reimbursement.  

Herman

PS: Do you belong to a FMCA Chapter? If not I can recommend a really good one. Happy (OK) Wanderers. Send me a PM and I will give you a contact person.

On 7/25/2017 at 2:31 PM, cdsuggs said:

Sounds like I didn't state the question right.  It was actually her idea to go by motorhome.  Unfortunately, it's still in the shop with a bad turbo.  The idea is to provide justification to the Med Group Commander that it would be cost effective to the Group to authorize POV travel and billeting the next time she has to go to the conference for per diem and travel purposes.  It's not business purposes.  I just happened to remember running across the spreadsheet and thought it would be fun to look at again on this trip.  Just LEGAL help with the expenses, since DOD/USAF is footing the bill anyway.  I got the company that I worked for several years ago to pay me mileage when I had to go to Long Beach for a conference developing the FFS for the C-17, and those guys are pretty tight, since it comes off their bottom line.

Lots of luck with justification and trying to save the Govt. money. When I was in Japan I had to go to a conference in Washington DC.  I could purchase the tickets myself and save the Govt about $400-500 and also get a better flight schedule.  Nope! Have to use the Govt travel section and they are mandated as to what they can use.  Of course, that was before you or your wife were working souls. Things may have changed, but it is the Govt.