mrwilson777

Beware of KOA Cedar City, Utah

Beware of KOA Cedar City, Utah. I tried to stay at the KOA in Cedar City, Utah 1 year ago and had issues with power pedestal to my Motorhome in site B13.  The park manager said he would have an electrician check the pedestal and contact me with the findings.  He indicated that there was nothing wrong with the pedestal and that the park would not accept responsibility for the damage to my auto transformer or transfer switch in my Motorhome.  I again went to the same campground on July 18th in site B12 and had the same issue again. They told me it was my RV that was the problem.  I knew better because I was using my RV for the last year without an issue.  I left the campground and move 1 mile down the street to another campground and had no issues during my entire weeks stay.

Our friends also had a reservation at the KOA in Cedar City, Utah and they stayed at the park in site B14.  Someone else parked in site B13 and they were having power issues as well.  Again the park told him it was his rig.  I regret that I will not be staying at this KOA in the future as long as the campground is under the current management. 

What were the problems with the power pedistal?  Did you check it with a multi meter before plugging in?  What were your findings?

9 hours ago, rhinderber said:

How do I check power pedestal with multimeter?

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU ARE SAFE WORKING AROUND 220 VAC. Touching the metal of the voltmeter probes can be deadly.

The two outer straights are the HOTS.

The center straight is the NEUTRAL

The center round is the GROUND

SO:

Outer straight to outer straight= 240 VAC

Either outer straight to center straight or center round= 120 VAC

Center round to center straight= 0 VAC

52 minutes ago, FIVE said:

This thread is one of many reasons why KOA is a last resort.

While I am not a fan of KOA (mostly price related), not sure it is reasonable to condemn a CG franchise because of a wiring issue at one park.

Very interested in the "what was wrong" with the power.

A multi-meter can show correct voltages but when the system is plug in things can happen that will drop that voltage. So yes, the reading can be good until a load is present.

The surge guard mentioned or the Progressive Industries (PI) surge protector will monitor the electrical system. The PI will shut down if there is a voltage drop or increase and will reset itself when things are back to normal.

The surge guard has protected me several times from faulty pedestals.

p.s., I have stayed at many KOA's and have had no problems. The occasional problem does not represent the entire franchise as Brett pointed out.

No question, voltage need to be monitored when loads are applied.  Can be done "automatically" as Wayne posted or we just have a large-display voltmeter that plugs into a regular house-type outlet. 

Depends on whether you want it to be automatically done for you or if you want the responsibility. Be aware that the third option on not checking can be very expensive!

8 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

No question, voltage need to be monitored when loads are applied.  Can be done "automatically" as Wayne posted or we just have a large-display voltmeter that plugs into a regular house-type outlet. 

Depends on whether you want it to be automatically done for you or if you want the responsibility. Be aware that the third option on not checking can be very expensive!

It has been my experience that a low power or hi power can happen to fast for you to react to it even if you are sitting looking at the meter. That is why I recommend the surge guard as it will react fast enough to prevent damage. ;)

Bill

20 hours ago, rhinderber said:

How do I check power pedestal with multimeter?

I suggest you take a look at your July 2017 FMC magazine.  Very good article on how to check voltage at RV park pedistals!

You don't need very expensive equipment to verify the power is safe before plugging in, and you can show the park what is wrong, and speak the correct language (open ground, reverse polarity, reduced voltage, etc.).

It also talks about some of the products mentioned by previous posts here, so you can compare surge protectors and other devices.

Chris G.

F3508s

Chris G, My surge guard does all that + protects me when I am plugged in. I used it a while back to go check a different spot because the park rangers spent 3 hours trying to fix the problem and couldn't. 

Bill

We have been to many KOA's, not a single power problem at any of them. I have had them at Jellystone, and many, many private owned CG's. I'm with Bill on this one, you have to protect your equipment, the CG has no intention on doing so. Every single time I had a problem they would come out with a volt meter and tell me its my coach, remove the surge/EMS and plug directly in. They really have no clue when the infrastructure is the problem.

I have never heard a campground admit they had a problem with the power. 

Also read the rental agreement (that paperwork you signed when you checked in) There is always a disclaimer against damages from power problems. 

I always use my surge guard and that other important devise a water pressure regulator.:P

Bill

13 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I have never heard a campground admit they had a problem with the power. 

Also read the rental agreement (that paperwork you signed when you checked in) There is always a disclaimer against damages from power problems. 

I always use my surge guard and that outher important devise a water preshure regulator.:P

Bill

I had a campground admit there was a problem with a pedestal.  It was a Thousand Trails and the space next to me when the camper tried to plug in and was shocked.  The ranger was called and by the time he came the pedestal was smoking.  He said it was a problem and not to use it.  When it stop smoking he put a bag over it.  It looked like it had been hit.

On 7/26/2017 at 7:23 PM, mrwilson777 said:

Beware of KOA Cedar City, Utah. I tried to stay at the KOA in Cedar City, Utah 1 year ago and had issues with power pedestal to my Motorhome in site B13.  The park manager said he would have an electrician check the pedestal and contact me with the findings.  He indicated that there was nothing wrong with the pedestal and that the park would not accept responsibility for the damage to my auto transformer or transfer switch in my Motorhome.  I again went to the same campground on July 18th in site B12 and had the same issue again. They told me it was my RV that was the problem.  I knew better because I was using my RV for the last year without an issue.  I left the campground and move 1 mile down the street to another campground and had no issues during my entire weeks stay.

Our friends also had a reservation at the KOA in Cedar City, Utah and they stayed at the park in site B14.  Someone else parked in site B13 and they were having power issues as well.  Again the park told him it was his rig.  I regret that I will not be staying at this KOA in the future as long as the campground is under the current management. 

We stayed at this very same CG on our way north to ID from NV. I did have problems with the cable and was told the entire campground was due to be "rewired", including the electric. In fact when we were there, they (not CG staff) were walking around testing all the pedastals. I'm guessing it was to give the CG a quote on the cost. I never had a problem with the electric but yes, I always plug my protector in first and if all the lights are good, I then plug the coach into that.  We were there in early March on A-3. They were taking out a few big old dead trees too. It snowed on us there but it wasn't bad. My biggest complaint is the dip between the park and the road. Very bad and while there we watched coach after coach drag butt on the way out. Most were going left towards I-15 and that seemed to be the worst way to exit. So, we exited up by the laundromat and went right instead and at an angle. Had a pretty good side to side wobble but didn't drag anything.

Looks like whoever they had "rewire" it, didn't do a very good job. Good luck.

New Doc 41_1.jpg

New Doc 41_2.jpg

New Doc 41_3.jpg

Every RV'er should have a good understanding of electricity and the various kinds of connections you will be making with your coach.  My favorite reference is RV Electric.  This is a complete reference that covers the basics of 20A, 30A and 50A wiring, how it works, how you test it, what problems may occur, even how to wire an outlet for your RV at your home.  There are also instructions with labeled pictures to show you how to build your own test equipment for 30A and 50A outlets. 

If you don't have a good understanding of the electric power supply then you absolutely must have a surge guard to protect your RV.  The potential damage that can be done with a mis-wired outlet can be very expensive.  If it only catches one bad power post in your RV'ing experience, the surge guard will have paid for itself.  As WildBill says, current can fluctuate faster than you can detect.  A surge guard will protect you from current changes that you can't detect with an ordinary tester.

Had the same problem at a state reservation in Sailsbury Massachusetts. Got a Surge guard that won't let the power go to the motor Home until it checks all the electric to the pedestal. Not cheap but cheaper than an inverter.

mistert.  Welcome to an old, but useful post.

Mine with Texas Tax, round numbers $400 each, I got 4...No, I don't trust the 50A at each house, anymore than I do at a campground.  There's even one, hardwired in coach!  Lot of $ or overkill?  Not when you compare it with re wiring the coach and replacing it's electronic components!  Oh, also the other factor, get one that lets you know if you have reverse Polarity, that will make you light up, like a living Christmas tree, as soon as you touch any part of the RV!!!

As for KOA, I have never had a problem with them!  Funny, how we never heard back from the OP!