widewader

Anode For Atwood Water Heater

We've owned our 2007 Pace Arrow 36D for a a little over a year. I have no idea if the Atwood water heater (model #GC10A-4E) was ever serviced or if it needs servicing other than a flushing. It has functioned without a problem so far. I intend to buy an anode rod for it, but I can't determine if I need the aluminum or magnesium model. A dealer I contacted said that my question was a first and had no idea if there is a real difference. Any information will be appreciated.

Atwood does NOT RECOMMEND an anode for their water heaters.  Their tanks are aluminum, not steel like Suburban. Yes Suburban water heaters DO require an anode.

Atwood recommends an annual flushing and replacement of the nylon Atwood drain plug (about $2).

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Atwood-Drain-Plugs-p/80-8489.htm

In fact, Atwood does not even sell anodes.  Yes, aftermarket companies do, but this is still not Atwood's recommendation.

Brett,

Aluminum is a soft metal and is used on all outboard motors and out drives. They all have anode on them. The anode, being made of zinc and softer than aluminium, it will be attacked first due to electrolysis, some times called galvanic corrosion. This may be Atwoods way of getting the tanks serviced more often. 

Side question, at one time I purchased an Anode drain plug with a pet coc built-in. Do you know if they are still available? 

Galvanic reaction in salt or even "fresh water" is a very different beast than in a water heater.

Again, if Atwood though that an anode was even OK (not even good) they, repeat they would market them as an additional profit source.

As a separate question-- on the anodes that are available, what material are the threads made of that screw into the aluminum tank?????

Thanks for the reply. I sent a note to Atwood and got a return message that, in fact, they do not recommend using an anode in their aluminum tank. Nuff said.