fagnaml

Permanent Installation - Winegard Portable Carry-Out Satellite Antenna

I have a nine year old Winegard Carry-out GM-1518 portable satellite antenna that I purchased during my "tent days" of LSU tailgating weekends.  During the last six years of travel trailer and now motorhome LSU tailgating I climbed the ladder on the trailer/motorhome to place the Winegard on the roof and climb the roof again to take it down.  The Winegard works great except for "by design" not being able to receive HD images from DirectTV.   Thus I can't justify spending $1000 on a new Winegard (or Tailgater or other brand) satellite antenna.  Images of my Winegard Carry-out are shown below.

Has anyone "permanently installed" a Winegard Carry-Out portable satellite antenna?  If "yes", could you share how you did the installation?  Thanks for the help!

I don't know exactly what yours is like on the bottom for mounting holes, the Winegard web page does not list a mounting kit for your model, only a tripod. But I would bet that a competent sheet metal shop can match up a set of mounting plates for you. There is a roof mount kit RK2000 listed on their site that will fit other models, just not yours. http://www.winegard.com/wp-content/uploads/catalog-sheets/WC-1133.pdf      I would print out the page that you would like best to have them prepare, or if you are handy, just take a close look and build something that you would like. If you take it to a sheet metal shop, take the carryout with you and let them make suggestions. I always use .125 aluminum for making such items, and use stainless steel screws and or bolts for the ability to with stand weather related corrosion. My preference would be to make a ladder mounted device so that I wouldn't need to screw to the roof, but screws through the roof should be no problem, there is usually plenty of them up there. I also prefer Sikaflex sealer over Dicore because it seems to hold up longer.

Just get an RF Mogul open face automatic which mounts on the roof.  All you need to do is push a button and you get all the satellite channels including Directv HD.

He doesn't want to spend $1000 much less the $2000 for an RF Mogul or Winegard Trav'ler.

To the OP, if you have a ladder on the rear of your coach, Winegard makes a ladder mount where you could mount it and leave it forever or remove and place on the ground should you end up in the trees.