Dotson1813

Brake Systems For Toad

Dotson1813,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Much of the answer depends on YOUR needs/desires.

The Invisibrake is permanently installed.  So, nothing to move in or out.  Just hook up and go.  But, because it is permanently installed, that costs more money than a "brake in a box". So, if you change toads often, probably not a good choice.

But, if you don't like lugging around and installing the "brake in a box", the invisibrake is a good choice.  That is what we us, but that does not mean that it is the right choice for everyone.

At a recent rally, I bought a Blue Ox Patriot II.  It's a relatively new portable system.  Its breakaway is installed and the system checked out.  All looks good and ready for use.  I got the portable so if or when we swap toads, all I have to remove from the toad is the breakaway....one bolt and some wire.

http://www.blueox.com/brakes/brk2016/

I just did a write up on the brake buddy stealth which is also a permanent installed unit. My write up is on a 2002 Jeep Liberty but I got to be honest with you after using the system going down the road I can honestly say I would pretty much recommended on anything that does not have the ability to provide full proportional breaking 

If you get a minute scroll down and kind of look at my installation notes, it's not the most difficult in the world to install however I do want to caution that If it is installed by a professional try to get a flat rate.

My breaking performance is awesome.  I had the unfortunate privilege of a jack a$$ jumping in front of me and  I was confident  overly surprised at how it completely took the weight of that jeep off of the coach and I was actually able to stop and it wasn't necessarily a panic situation.

I read a lot of reviews on the portable systems and  they are nice but is so much nicer not to have to keep up with the unit. Plug and go not to mention once installed and tested you're not having to second-guess whether it's in right or whether you make sure it was sitting up against the seat. You don't have to worry about is the breakaway connected because in my system the breakaway is built into the plug. Just something to look at

On 7/30/2017 at 11:56 AM, Dotson1813 said:

I have a 32 ft Winnebago Vista and a 2008 Honda CR-V that I will be towing. Any recommendations on a Brake Buddy vs an Invisibrake system. 

Welcome to the forum. I just happened to find a used Brake Buddy for about $400.00 when I was looking ;) So I haven't been eager to spend more money till this one gives up the ghost. I realey don't have that big of a problem instaling my brake in a box or removing it. I had Blue Ox rebuild the tow bar at a rally. There seem to be a fair number that show up on the used market. 

Bill

Sam, thanks for the added information. I would guess the brakes on your toad are a little tight and cause more drag. Or is there a adjustment on your Invisabrake for  adjusting the sensitivity of the unit?

Bill

6 hours ago, Sammarshall said:

Towing 2015 Fiat Abarth with Invisabrake and found both rear tires treads almost completely gone with only 14,000 miles. Fronts look fine. Any ideas?

I'm not exactly sure what you're towing with or what your setup is so I'm kind of like Bill I really don't know what to say other than okay.

Here are a few suggestions and keep in mind there just that until we get some clarification or what you're dealing with.

1. When your Towing is the front of your vehicle pointed up and the rear pointed down? If it is you're putting the weight of the vehicle in the rear the tires which is going to wear them faster

2. Is your tow vehicle a manual transmission or auto? Awd, rwd, or front? Are you properly putting the transfer case in neutral or putting the clutch in neutral?

3.  Okay so I'm now out of ideas, if you have some more information that would be great up to and including what kind of tires you have

Invisabreak.

I had one on my Jeep...it is adjustable. Just turn the knob clockwise for more, other way for less...play with it. 

On 1/8/2018 at 8:09 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Sam, thanks for the added information. I would guess the brakes on your toad are a little tight and cause more drag.

Hey Bill, if I'm not mistaken the brake booster on that Fiat is going to apply 60 + percent of the braking to the front not the rear even when using an Invisible brake or some type of manual pedal brake system.

I could be wrong but I would think that that's how it's done. It might even be 70% in the front. I know my coach Appliance 50% in the front 50 in the rear but I'm assuming because of the weight it does that.

I would love to see a picture from the side like a profile picture of the coach the toad and the setup because the last time I saw uneven tire wear like that was a coach that was pulling a Chevy Malibu but the front end of the Malibu was kind of lifted up in the air and dragging the back kind of like what would happen if it were on a dolly. That would cause really wicked drag unless the parking brake is slightly applied but that's an easy diagnosis because the parking brake would be worn down. 

Whether it's the braking system or the way the tow bar is set up something isn't quite right in the setup. 

Agree. As Keon said, the Invisibrake does two things when you step on the coach service brakes: build vacuum for the vacuum boost AND use positive pressure (which is adjustable) to apply the brake pedal.  So braking is exactly as when you are driving the toad and using the brake with amount of braking adjustable easily with the knob on the unit that is normally located under the driver's seat.

12 hours ago, HayesFamily said:

Hey Bill, if I'm not mistaken the brake booster on that Fiat is going to apply 60 + percent of the braking to the front not the rear even when using an Invisible brake or some type of manual pedal brake system.

I could be wrong but I would think that that's how it's done. It might even be 70% in the front. I know my coach Appliance 50% in the front 50 in the rear but I'm assuming because of the weight it does that.

I would love to see a picture from the side like a profile picture of the coach the toad and the setup because the last time I saw uneven tire wear like that was a coach that was pulling a Chevy Malibu but the front end of the Malibu was kind of lifted up in the air and dragging the back kind of like what would happen if it were on a dolly. That would cause really wicked drag unless the parking brake is slightly applied but that's an easy diagnosis because the parking brake would be worn down. 

Whether it's the braking system or the way the tow bar is set up something isn't quite right in the setup. 

Some things are hard to diagnose with out hands on.

Bill

8 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Some things are hard to diagnose with out hands on.

Bill

Yeah ... at this point all we can do is speculate. I think the only thing that we can be reasonably certain about is it's not the braking system itself. 

Kay,  I've always wondered, if your rear suspension doesn't move ... in other words is it possible to adjust the Caster or the camber on the rear? I kind of sort of might see how the toe could be adjusted but let's just say for instance they are fixed, is it possible that a misaligned front cause the rear to drag?

Going back to my original theory of the coach tugging up on the front end of the toad, I'm also curious what does he have in the back of that toad weight-wise that is not being disclosed? Is he putting clothes or wood for the fire or anything in the trunk that would cause excessive weight to be on the rear axle?

5 minutes ago, HayesFamily said:

Kay,  I've always wondered, if your rear suspension doesn't move ... in other words is it possible to adjust the Caster or the camber on the rear? I kind of sort of might see how the toe could be adjusted but let's just say for instance they are fixed, is it possible that a misaligned front cause the rear to drag?

To my knowledge,  DP's have on solid rear axles.  So, Camber is not adjustable (unless you bend that huge axle).  Toe is not adjustable.  Caster is adjustable by changing RIDE HEIGHT.  But, not use rear wheel caster change is important.

Now, as to whether the rear axle is "aligned" with the front is another matter.  "Dog tracking" is caused by the rear axle NOT being in parallel with front axle.