F357981

Steering Problem

Three years ago I picked up my 2003 National Tradewinds from a repairman and when I needed to make a left turn it wouldn't turn. I drove to the next left turn and it failed again, the third attempt was successful and continued to be successful. I put it in a truck repair and they replaced part of the power steering hose.

It has been OK until a week ago today when I took it to storage after a trip. It refused to turn left again. I drove straight ahead for a mile or so then turned left, right, left several times. I went out to storage a couple days ago, started it and the wheels turned both directions without a problem.

I have a Spartan Chassis.

Anyone ever run into this problem or heard about a problem like this.

Thanks

Don

Don,

What was repaired three years ago? Did it involve the steering? Could be u-joints in the steering shaft binding. Do you have a tilt column? Is  it tight with no wobble side to side? Check for something rubbing the shaft. When it will not turn left, Does that mean the steering wheel will not turn left at all from center but will turn right? has it been in a front wreck of any kind? Very scary issue.

Gary

Don, do you have a Steering stabilizer like the Blue Ox Truecenter? If so disconnect it and see if the problem goes away.

Don,

If no external steering stabilizer hanging up and no mechanical issue with steering linkage or steering knuckles, that would suggest that the problem is internal to the steering box.

What steering box do you have.

Probably not a bad idea to contact them with our symptoms to see if they have an observation.  Clearly, this can be a safety concern!