Have you considered just self insuring and setting aside money per month vs. paying for an extended maintenance plan....? 

Have you had a good experience with claims from Good Sam ? Or others?

31 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

This is a popular thread topic you can do a search and find enough to keep you reading for a week.

I self insure.

Bill

Thanks Bill, yes, I read some older posts... How's the self insuring working for you? 

Obviously, it's working if are doing it... but, how much are you saving, just give macro numbers, 1000's....

I'm paying $78 per month for Good Sam... that's $936 per year?..I suppose I could easily be setting aside $1,000 per year...or maybe I'll need to use it... really a roll of the dice?

12 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Self insured...non commercially, I don't believe that is legal.

Sorry, I didn't mean "self-insured" for an accident.. I mean self insured for repairs and maintenance...

3 hours ago, MWeiner said:

Thanks Bill, yes, I read some older posts... How's the self insuring working for you? 

Obviously, it's working if are doing it... but, how much are you saving, just give macro numbers, 1000's....

In the last 4 years I have spent about $1,000.00. I replaced a microwave/convection oven, Converted to a residential refrigerator and one roadside repair that cost about $200.00 for a blown air line. 

In 4 years you will be out $3744.00 and if you didn't use it you have nothing to show for it. You probably also have a deductible. It has ben well proven that the insurance company's are really good at weaseling out of or minimizing what they pay.;)

Bill

51 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

In the last 4 years I have spent about $1,000.00. I replaced a microwave/convection oven, Converted to a residential refrigerator and one roadside repair that cost about $200.00 for a blown air line. 

In 4 years you will be out $3744.00 and if you didn't use it you have nothing to show for it. You probably also have a deductible. It has ben well proven that the insurance company's are really good at weaseling out of or minimizing what they pay.;)

Bill

Bill, 

OK, your last message has almost inspired me to cancel my contract... although, I have to ask how much of the work do you do yourself..?  I'm not particularly handy when it comes to mechanical items.  Please let me know? 

And, yes, I think you're correct, I'm sure there's a deductible of at least $100 per incident. With only 27,000 miles, I'm starting to wonder how many things could potentially go wrong?

4 hours ago, MWeiner said:

Bill, 

OK, your last message has almost inspired me to cancel my contract... although, I have to ask how much of the work do you do yourself..?  I'm not particularly handy when it comes to mechanical items.  Please let me know? 

And, yes, I think you're correct, I'm sure there's a deductible of at least $100 per incident. With only 27,000 miles, I'm starting to wonder how many things could potentially go wrong?

I do most of my own work. Still if you doubled my cost to include labor it would still be cheaper. With as new of a coach as you have you should be golden for a long time as long as you take care of things.

You will still want a roadside assists plan. 

Bill

9 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

What is the factory warranty on the Mercedes? It should be in the neighborhood of 100k.

Herman 

I'm not the original owner... and the Mercedes Benz Sprinter is a 2011 ... 

Even so, I'm less concerned about the Mercedes Benz Sprinter than I am about the conversion features..I would not be surprised at all to see the Mercedes going well past 200,000 miles.  

Who knows if I'll make it that far or keep the vehicle that long? 

6 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I do most of my own work. Still if you doubled my cost to include labor it would still be cheaper. With as new of a coach as you have you should be golden for a long time as long as you take care of things.

You will still want a roadside assists plan. 

Bill

Bill, 

I have AAA Premiere RV.... really great plan.

---MARK

You will be very lucky to see 200K.  You will probably have a major repair around 85,000 miles on your MB engine! :o  I'm like Bill. :D

Mr. Weiner, if I had your van, It would have an extended warranty on the chassis, powertrain and electronics. I am certain you will have more problems with that than you will with the "house" side. Mercedes has proprietary software and unless someone purchased it they will not be able to help you with engine lights and such, therefore the dealer network will be the most likely place for chassis repairs. In 2011 the universal or "OBD" diagnostics were not around yet and there are not many scan tools that will read that chassis with a diesel, gas on the other hand were all standard, oddly the inline engine prior to the V6 was also standardized.

8 hours ago, manholt said:

You will be very lucky to see 200K.  You will probably have a major repair around 85,000 miles on your MB engine! :o  I'm like Bill. :D

Do you have any actual evidence to make a claim like that or is this just a guess on your part?  What do you think will actually happen to the engine?  Do you think it will just stop working or throw a rod or something?  Really, I'd like to know your thoughts.

Extended maintenance plans are extremely expensive, plus most have a deductible.  You pay nearly $1,000 for your small 20' RV.  The cost for a big DP would by much much higher.  Those EW companies are in business to make a profit, naturally, and seem to be doing quite well.  I'll take my chances without an EW.  So far, knock on wood, I'm way ahead.

13 hours ago, MWeiner said:

Bill, 

I have AAA Premiere RV.... really great plan.

---MARK

You might consider looking at a plan with unlimited towing mileage. If you have a problem with the chassis, the nearest Mercedes dealer could be several hundred miles away, they aren't usually located in every small town you come across. 

Bill,  AAA Premiere will tow 200 miles.. is there a service out there with unlimited to the destination you choose?  

With most plans you don't get to choose, they have language about closest "suitable" place. 

Elkhartjim, has a good point. I would get your policy out and read it "carefully" and see what it does say.

Bill

3 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

With most plans you don't get to choose, they have language about closest "suitable" place. 

Elkhartjim, has a good point. I would get your policy out and read it "carefully" and see what it does say.

Bill

Bill, 

Actually, I know exactly what AAA Premiere will do, thanks. And, I've used them for bringing my car to my mechanic before... It's one tow for 200 miles and up to three or four additional tows of 100 miles each and you can choose.  

Like I said, AAA is expensive, but, they deliver services tailored to what you want. 

By the way,  I've been with AAA for 37 years....do you think for one minute that I would switch if they didn't perform??  That is WHY I'm a longtime member. 

MWeiner.

Nothing against your Roadtrek, it's a brand that has been around for a long time.  Problem is the MB diesel engine, it's not designed or made for the USA EPA market.  MB market is Europe, Russia, China and Australia.  Small, narrow road's and mostly 115km speed limits on the major highways....not our Interstates!  MB makes their own Van's for that engine, they are small 12 to 15 foot, inn city delivery vans!  I just came back from Scandinavia last Saturday and saw hundreds off them in the 2 weeks I was there (annual event, since 1984).

Send Joe Lemont a PM....he knows your engine.

Carl

6 hours ago, manholt said:

MWeiner.

Nothing against your Roadtrek, it's a brand that has been around for a long time.  Problem is the MB diesel engine, it's not designed or made for the USA EPA market.  MB market is Europe, Russia, China and Australia.  Small, narrow road's and mostly 115km speed limits on the major highways....not our Interstates!  MB makes their own Van's for that engine, they are small 12 to 15 foot, inn city delivery vans!  I just came back from Scandinavia last Saturday and saw hundreds off them in the 2 weeks I was there (annual event, since 1984).

Send Joe Lemont a PM....he knows your engine.

Carl

Hi Carl, 

Well, the Mercedes Benz Sprinter has been in production since 1995 continuously. How many motor homes have come and gone out of business in the same time period?    Do you really think Roadtrek would not want to associate with Mercedes if it were a problem product? They have a stellar reputation being in business since 1974. 

And, the Mercedes Benz Sprinter has been a workhorse vehicle in commercial applications for small buses, delivery vans and motor home conversions including the Class B plus and Class C motor homes... Winnebago Navion, Leisure Travel Unity, etc.   See this Wikpedia link below, 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter

My van is the 3500 series with the dual wheels and heavier duty suspension vs.the 2500 with the single wheels in the back. The dual wheels provides greater stability. And, it's almost 23 feet long, so, you may have definitely seen smaller models they do make them. 

As for speed, who's racing or driving at speeds above 82, which is by the way, the top speed of the Mercedes Benz Sprinter in the United States... probably could be faster, but, why would you want to risk that? 

As for the performance, I recently read in this months FMCA magazine that the 2018 Newmar  New Aire takes approximately 38 seconds to reach 60 MPH from a dead stop... That's a really long time.....I hope whomever is driving that plans accordingly when merging onto freeways.   The Sprinter can accelerate to 60 MUCH faster.

There's been several different engines for these vans over the years...the 2.7 FIVE, the 3.0 V6 which is what is in my vehicle and the 2.1 FOUR.... 

The main difference between the SIX and the FOUR is the transmission...the FOUR has a seven speed automatic while the SIX has a FIVE speed automatic.  The V6 turbo diesel engine has 188 horsepower and 325 foot pounds of torque, plenty of power.    I recently came back crossing a mountain pass and it climbed over the grade with no problems at all.... Getting 18 MPG... 

And, the engine is running DEF, and has passed the EPA and California standards. California has the toughest emissions test in the USA. What state are you from? 

I'm sure that Joe is a fine mechanic, and he's certainly entitled to his opinion. He see's people who have problems.. that's his job.   You can't deny that with an entire fleet of FEDEX delivery trucks all over the United States using the Mercedes Benz Sprinter as their vehicle of choice that these things are ubiqutous. 

Still, you have not shown any actual evidence of your claims that the engines are bad or prone to failure at 85,000  miles.  I suppose that anything could happen? The sky could be falling tomorrow?  I'm very careful about vehicle preventative maintenance. My cars typically go 200,000 miles and they're gas engines.. Diesel engines are known for their durability.

So, pardon me if I'm going to take your comments with a grain of salt, no offense. 

---MARK

On 7/31/2017 at 10:28 AM, MWeiner said:

Have you considered just self insuring and setting aside money per month vs. paying for an extended maintenance plan....? 

Have you had a good experience with claims from Good Sam ? Or others?

FYI – DO  NOT  BUY an extended warranty from

RV Care /Phoenix American Warranty Company, Inc

6303 Blue Lagoon Drive.Suite 225,Miami, Florida 33126-6004

My RV Tech with 28 years experience almost quit repairs on my RV because of RV Care problems. First time in 3 years I had to use them and I never will again!!

On 12/5/2017 at 8:30 AM, texbon said:

FYI – DO  NOT  BUY an extended warranty from

RV Care /Phoenix American Warranty Company, Inc

6303 Blue Lagoon Drive.Suite 225,Miami, Florida 33126-6004

My RV Tech with 28 years experience almost quit repairs on my RV because of RV Care problems. First time in 3 years I had to use them and I never will again!!

Should you purchase any extended warranty at all??? 

I personally think that with all the exclusions, the answer is NO.. 

Just pay for what goes wrong... my opinion.