kevinpvb

Shore Power Issue: 2011 Fleetwood Discovery 42C

There have been several posts on this subject.  I am starting a new post to keep from confusing the prior posts.  Thank you everyone that takes the time to reply.

We have had this coach (2011Fleetwood Discovery 42C) since November, 2010.  This past May, we have moved onto the coach as full timers.

Now that all components are getting full time use, we are finding many issues.  This power issue started about a week ago.  Every night at about 10 pm (coincidence?), we lose all power to the coach.  The panel inside the coach says "no service".

I go outside and check the power at the pole.  The breaker is not tripped.  The little green light on my plug is illuminated.  The two red lights on my Surge Guard Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) are illuminated.  As mentioned above, the panel inside the coach displays "No Service".  

I turn the shore power breaker off and unplug the cable.  I turn on the generator and all power returns and the panel displays "generator".

I turn off the generator and turn on both inverters (I have two Magnum MS2000).  Power is restored.

I turn off the inverters and plug the cable back into the campground power and turn the breaker back to the on position and the power is restored.  Next night at around 10 pm, power goes out again completely.  I asked the campground to check their electrical service and watched as their electrician check the 50 amp power outlet.  Each leg checked out at between 118 and 125 volts.  The total voltage when checked showed 225 volts.

My next step is to get someone to check my ATS.

One of the two inverters seem to be dedicated to the residential refrigerator.  The other inverter is dedicated to the power outlets and air conditioners.  About 2 months ago, I had to replace the inverter that controls the power to the coach.  There was a problem with the internal relay that prevented the shore power from supplying power to the outlets.  Everything has worked properly until this week.

Any additional thoughts and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

kevin.  What condition is your batteries?  I don't think you have a ATS problem, since you can go from Post to Generator and back.!  When your on Post or Generator, your Magnum board inside will show what each bank is getting in voltage from batteries...If you have acid batteries, you need to check them for fluid level every month and add distilled water as needed.  If you have AGM batteries...have you changed them out for new ones or are they 2010's?  It would help to know where your at? 

When you get "No Service", have you checked your main CB?

Curious to know, is there anything in your life style that happens about 10 PM? Is that after going to bed, or just before? For a lot of folks that is close to bed time, does your wife start drying her hair, or anything that calls for more electric at that time. Not being nosey, just trying to get an idea as to what is triggering the drop out. I am a little suspicious about the ATS also. That is all that can drop out if power is not being lost, and will certainly drop out if power is lost. One way that I would test, is to place a nice bright incandescent light where I can watch it at about that time of night, powered by an extension cord that is plugged into the campground pedestal, bypassing the coach wiring all together. This way when and if the power drops in the coach you will know if it is pedestal related or coach power related. My gut feeling is that the ATS has become weak over the years and is either heating up and dropping out from campground power then remaining in that condition until you go through your ritual of exercising it. No I would not run out and replace it without some testing. There is some low level electronics involved in the ATS, and those components may be breaking down, it is almost 6 years old if you bought it new and had been freshly built. Good luck chasing.

Kevin. A little long, but need to get some good base line information.

Because it happens at the same time - 10:00 PM every time. sounds like it's a clock controlled item.  I do not have any information on the system regarding the programming or an error log. Might contact Magnum service to see if they can offer any insight.  

You do not mention any error codes, but the red LED will go off if there is an error or issue somewhere. 

You did mention running the AC units ! Are you trying to run them off the inverter directly? 2000 Watts is not enough power to start or run them. That requires around 3000 to 3500 watts to run each unit and I can not believe the coach would be wired that way. From the method you use to reset things by running the generator and then going back to shore power sounds like a ATS issue or possible loose connection(s) in the 120 volt AC power panel(s) Things get shaken up well going down the road. So checking ALL the screw connections of the grounds, neutrals and circuit beakers might be in order. 

If you do not feel safe working on the power panels - get some help. Items do expand and contract between the heat of the day and the cooler air at night, but for the issue to happen at the same time every night ? Power companies do switch from different suppliers to match the load request of there customers and the inverter internal transfer speed is in fractions of a second. Would that be an issue and only Magnum could answer that question !

This is how they should work. From what I do have on file.

The MS Series inverter/charger has two modes of operation: INVERTER (providing
power to your appliances from the batteries) and AC (running from shore power or a
generator). Whenever the inverter is in AC mode, it passes power directly to your
appliances as well as recharges the batteries using a 3-stage battery charger (Bulk,
Absorption and Float). This approach to battery charging provides rapid and complete
charging cycles without placing undue stress on the batteries. Inverter operation
is fully automatic.
Search
With search mode enabled, the inverter pulses the AC output looking for an
electrical appliance (typically 5 to 100 watts, depending upon the setting youve
selected). Whenever there is no load detected, the inverter automatically goes into
search mode (sleep) to minimize energy consumption. During this time, the
inverters green LED flashes (fast) to indicate SEARCH mode. When an appliance is
switched on inside the coach, the inverter recognizes the need for power and automatically
starts the inverter
Inverter Mode
Whenever AC Shore Power is no longer sensed, the inverter automatically transfers
to battery power with no interruption to your appliances. The inverters green LED
flashes once every 2 seconds (medium flash) to indicate it is running on battery
power and providing AC to the coach.
AC Shore Power Mode
Whenever AC Shore Power is sensed, the inverter automatically transfers to the
shore power with minimal interruption to your appliances.

Overload
During inverter and AC Shore Power operation, the inverter monitors the AC and
DC circuits. In the event of a short-circuit or overload condition, the inverter will shut
down. The inverters LED turns OFF to indicate the fault condition.
Overtemperature

During inverter operation, if the inverter becomes overheated, it will shut down to
protect itself from damage. The inverters LED turns OFF to indicate the fault condition.

WARNING: Prior to performing these checks, switch both the AC and DC
circuits OFF.

Visually inspect the batteries for cracks, leaks, or swelling - replace if necessary
Use baking soda to clean and remove any electrolyte spills or buildups
Check and tighten all battery hold down clamps
Clean and tighten (10 to 12 foot pounds) all battery terminals and connecting
cables
Check and fill battery water levels (Liquid Lead Acid batteries only)
Check individual battery voltages (replace those that vary more than 0.3 VDC of
each other)
Check all cable runs for signs of chafing - replace if necessary
Check the inverters cooling vents - clean as necessary
Check and tighten (16 foot pounds) the inverters internal AC terminal block
connections(All 120 volt AC connections need to meet this specification.)

Rich.

If this was my coach, the first thing I would do is turn off the inverters...unless running lots of AC equipment, that would flip the inverter CB that the power is going through, they have nothing to do with this issue.  The way my coach is wired, if there is too much AC equipment on...that inverter CB will flip whether the inverter is on or off.