keigm

Window Auto Shade Problems

I am struggling with my auto-shades.  Purchased a 2014 Newmar Mountain Aire last Nov.  The Driver side shade stopped working on my trip back to New Mexico from Florida.  I purchased a whole new shade system and the mechanic dropped and broke the new on.  He struggled for a couple of days to get it to work before he broke it.  He showed me how it would work outside hooked up to a 12volt battery, there was power to the inside plug in but it would now work hooked up inside.  Now the front window shade will not retract all the way up.  Any idea what kind of problem I now have and what should I do next?   The did order and have a new shade to replace the broken one but after working on the 1st one he created an additional problem as in the pic below.

IMG_1205.PNG

Is the shade use a toggle switch inside, or some type of remote controller? If a remote controller, one could hardwire a dp/dt switch, assuming that hooked to a battery that it does work. If the battery in my remote control gets weak, I have similar issues. These are just some thoughts, if guidance is needed on how to hardwire, just ask, many on the forum can help. You do not describe the problem with the front shade, but I'm guessing that it will go down, but not back up?

The shade uses toggle switches inside.  You are correct re the front shade.  It does work but the mechanic screwed some setting up as it will go down and up but has an auto-stop at the level shown.

You should be able to find two wires that enter the shade housing, most likely red and white, not always but most of the time. The motor is at the end of that wire inside the housing, it is a 12 volt dc motor. If you can get to those wires, you should be able to reverse the wires, with this done, the switch that made it go down will make it go up, unless there is a gear stripped. If it does not go back up then it will have to be taken out for further repairs. If it does work then there is an electrical problem. One other simple test, have someone with good hearing to listen closely to the end of the housing where the wire enters, then activate the switch, if motor running sound can be heard or felt, then there is a gear problem, try this first. Remember that the limit switch has sensed the end of travel, so you will need to only use the up button for the latter test, those limit switches only work one way, so it will not be what is causing it to not go back up.

Its been a while since you posted this concern, but I have had to rewire my shade and while doing so realized that the toggle switch looks like it may run through a relay to control the direction the motor runs relative to the toggle.

Could be a bad relay that only works in one direction and not the other.

Sorry if this is too late to help.

Sorry if this is too late to help.

Mike.  Welcome to the Forum!

What you wrote, will be on this post for the next blind problem that comes around, so it's never to late! :)

I do hope the OP changed mechanics! :o