punxsyjumper

Trip Update

Just an update. We 86'ed our plans to go to the New England states in the fall. We are getting a few things in order and then about the last week of Sept, we are heading west to SD via St Louis, MO. Was going to head west on 80 but I'm going to avoid the Chicago area. That stretch from Gary IN to Joliet IL is a nightmare on it's best day. So, since Sweetie Pie has never seen the arch, we will drop south, check it out then on to SD for residency. Then it's west to OR, south through CA and back east at Bakersfield to Pahrump, NV. Scheduled to be there Dec 1st till June. After that we will be working our way up through CO and planning on being in Gillette WY for the convention. If you think our paths will cross, send a shoutout and let's meet. Safe journey and as always, stay sharp.

IMG_0657.JPG

Check my blog here on the FMCA forum.  I posted this after a visit to the WW I Memorial and Museum in Kansas City, MO.  I highly recommend a stop there.  The Truman Library and Home are there as well.  We stay at Campus RV in Independence.  A small but very nice park, reasonable rates, friendly people and an occasional train at night to help you sleep.

While in the St. Louis area you might be interested in Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site in Illinois.  Within sight of the St. Louis Arch is the largest Native American mound in North America.  There are a series of mounds built by a large community that existed in the St. Louis area.  In fact, St. Louis is sometimes called Mound City because of the mounds that existed west of the Mississippi.  Those were destroyed by early settlers before their significance was appreciated. 

We regularly run from the St. Louis area through KC and on into South Dakota on I-29  If you are musically inclined, a stop at the National Music Museum in Vermilion, SD would be worth your time.  Vermilion is just off I-29 a few miles.

If not before, hope to meet you in Gillette.  Enjoy the trip.

Why not keep us all up to day with your own blog here on the forum...

6 hours ago, TBUTLER said:

Check my blog here on the FMCA forum.  I posted this after a visit to the WW I Memorial and Museum in Kansas City, MO.  I highly recommend a stop there.  The Truman Library and Home are there as well.  We stay at Campus RV in Independence.  A small but very nice park, reasonable rates, friendly people and an occasional train at night to help you sleep.

While in the St. Louis area you might be interested in Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site in Illinois.  Within sight of the St. Louis Arch is the largest Native American mound in North America.  There are a series of mounds built by a large community that existed in the St. Louis area.  In fact, St. Louis is sometimes called Mound City because of the mounds that existed west of the Mississippi.  Those were destroyed by early settlers before their significance was appreciated. 

We regularly run from the St. Louis area through KC and on into South Dakota on I-29  If you are musically inclined, a stop at the National Music Museum in Vermilion, SD would be worth your time.  Vermilion is just off I-29 a few miles.

If not before, hope to meet you in Gillette.  Enjoy the trip.

Why not keep us all up to day with your own blog here on the forum...

Sure, I can do that but I'd need some instruction on the blog thing. Would anybody be interested?

Just post, post and then post again in a new topic you create (my travels, point A to point B).  It's a whole lot easier and those of us who never look at a blog will be able to keep up with your travels.  Have a great trip.  We had made most of those stops several times and you are going to love it!

Update on the update. Heading west on Sept 13. Still planning on going to SD for residency. Was going to go to Rapid City and hook up with Americas Mailbos for our mail forwarding but it was such a hassle trying to get answers to our questions so we gave up on them and went with Dakota Post. So, we will be going to Sioux Falls. I'm still dealing with this Remco disconnect issue so it looks like a stop at Des Moines IA is in order. Really getting crappy service from Remco.

The plan was to go to SD, get our tags and such and head on to CA. In order to get our gun permits we have to be there for 30 days so that is going to make it a bit late for us to go to Oregon. So after our 30 days are up we will be heading south to OK to visit Sweetie Pie's cousin and then on to Houston area. The west to Lubbock for a few days and on to NM, AZ and finally Pahrump NV.

Hope to meet as many good folks as we can

You can save a boatload of money by using FL as your State of residency.  SD and TX tags are VERY expensive by comparison and health insurance can be totally unavailable in SD and TX is very expensive.  Just be sure you look at all the costs before you pick your home.

On 8/23/2017 at 6:43 AM, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

When will you be in AZ? We will leave Denver the first of JAN.

Looks like we will be in AZ around middle of Nov. Have an invite for Thanksgiving in Yuma. Scheduled to be in NV on Dec 1st and will be there for 5 or 6 months.

On 8/23/2017 at 4:09 PM, BillAdams said:

You can save a boatload of money by using FL as your State of residency.  SD and TX tags are VERY expensive by comparison and health insurance can be totally unavailable in SD and TX is very expensive.  Just be sure you look at all the costs before you pick your home.

Thanks Bill, yeh we looked around. Considered a lot of options and SD works for us. 100% DAV so the wife and I both have military ID and can use the VA system. Mostly as just an emergency plan as we work on staying healthy and not needing it. Can get on any post for all the perks as well as fam-camps. Hope to see you out west sometime.

Can you send me a contact number as we will very likely be through Pahrump or at least 95 heading South. I have a 356 Porsche to deliver sometime in Dec in Reno. I will ship it and then meet it for delivery. I need to have it completed before heading to AZ. Dropping to P gets me away from Vegas and a bresak point and I do not know that I have been south that way to boot. On top of that we will have friends from Eastern Oregon that travel south using 95 as well if weather does not get them like last year.  

I too am a Navy Vet though not career. I have not used the services as of yet. I am very healthy for my age group (72) but have a real case of Arthritis the will  be the big problem in the next ten years. Janet is healthy as can be and a few years younger than me. I expect to sell the property I/we own in Colorado in the near future and then will determine rhe residency issue. Currently only plated in Montana.

What did you find from the forum on Bike covers? Thought of that when I bought a rack for my bike yesterday.

Regards   

Bill Edwards 303 807 7975  rsbilledwards@gmail.com

Punxsy

Are you familiar with the Military Campgrounds web site?

Whenever we can we stay at the military FAM camps and there are a good number of them. Some are adequate and some are great with a few in-between but the price is usually very good compared to the surrounding civilian campgrounds. Nevada has two, Desert Eagle in Las Vegas and Fallon in/near Reno.

Don't carry firearms if you plan on staying at military family camps.

Wayne, 

Have stayed in several FamCamps with friends that are retired military. Didn't know about firearms. Did not think about the one I carry when on the road. Thanks for the heads up.

Herman 

So much for FamCamps, Linda and I both carry at all times, one reason we have not been back to Canada of late.  Linda is working on that, as we want to go back to Alaska....she has a Federal carry permit (another life).  Do appreciate the heads up!

22 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Punxsy

Are you familiar with the Military Campgrounds web site?

Whenever we can we stay at the military FAM camps and there are a good number of them. Some are adequate and some are great with a few in-between but the price is usually very good compared to the surrounding civilian campgrounds. Nevada has two, Desert Eagle in Las Vegas and Fallon in/near Reno.

Don't carry firearms if you plan on staying at military family camps.

That will def be a problem then. I was told they all have different policies on weapons. Some are ok, some want to know about them and some want you to store them in their armory till you leave.

On 8/26/2017 at 7:53 AM, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

Can you send me a contact number as we will very likely be through Pahrump or at least 95 heading South. I have a 356 Porsche to deliver sometime in Dec in Reno. I will ship it and then meet it for delivery. I need to have it completed before heading to AZ. Dropping to P gets me away from Vegas and a bresak point and I do not know that I have been south that way to boot. On top of that we will have friends from Eastern Oregon that travel south using 95 as well if weather does not get them like last year.  

I too am a Navy Vet though not career. I have not used the services as of yet. I am very healthy for my age group (72) but have a real case of Arthritis the will  be the big problem in the next ten years. Janet is healthy as can be and a few years younger than me. I expect to sell the property I/we own in Colorado in the near future and then will determine rhe residency issue. Currently only plated in Montana.

What did you find from the forum on Bike covers? Thought of that when I bought a rack for my bike yesterday.

Regards   

Bill Edwards 303 807 7975  rsbilledwards@gmail.com

I will do that for ya in your email

10 hours ago, manholt said:

So much for FamCamps, Linda and I both carry at all times, one reason we have not been back to Canada of late.  Linda is working on that, as we want to go back to Alaska....she has a Federal carry permit (another life).  Do appreciate the heads up!

Another reason we like Pahrump is because that is the location for Frontsite. Free tours and great training for Sweetie Pie and myself.

11 hours ago, manholt said:

I hope your powder is still dry after your visit from Harvey.

On 8/17/2017 at 7:02 PM, punxsyjumper said:

Update on the update. Heading west on Sept 13. Still planning on going to SD for residency. Was going to go to Rapid City and hook up with Americas Mailbos for our mail forwarding but it was such a hassle trying to get answers to our questions so we gave up on them and went with Dakota Post. So, we will be going to Sioux Falls. I'm still dealing with this Remco disconnect issue so it looks like a stop at Des Moines IA is in order. Really getting crappy service from Remco.

The plan was to go to SD, get our tags and such and head on to CA. In order to get our gun permits we have to be there for 30 days so that is going to make it a bit late for us to go to Oregon. So after our 30 days are up we will be heading south to OK to visit Sweetie Pie's cousin and then on to Houston area. The west to Lubbock for a few days and on to NM, AZ and finally Pahrump NV.

Hope to meet as many good folks as we can

Looks like we will be bypassing Houston