wmsam@sccoast.net

Mail Forwarding & RV Workers Questions

We are new to RVing and have a unique situation requiring me to show residency in TN for two years prior to selling a home we own to avoid capital gains.  SD Post can't help us.  Does anyone know a mail forwarding service in TN?

Secondly, I would like to work seasonally at campgrounds for stay only no pay.  Can anyone suggest a RV Workers web site to look for work anywhere in the US and Canada? 

Selling our home in Myrtle Beach and then moving to TN in early spring.  I understand I need to show two years of residency before selling the home to avoid taxes.  I purchased the TN home of a 1031 land exchange to avoid taxes on another sale in Myrtle Beach.  I thought if I could mail forward from TN for two years then we would sell the one.

46 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

Have you already left the home, and did you live in Tn., prior to selling it?

Selling our home in Myrtle Beach and then moving to TN in early spring.  I understand I need to show two years of residency before selling the home to avoid taxes.  I purchased the TN home of a 1031 land exchange to avoid taxes on another sale in Myrtle Beach.  I thought if I could mail forward from TN for two years then we would sell the one.

If I understand it, the IRS allows you a one time exemption from Capitol Gains of $250,000.00 per person (co-owners a total of $500,000.00) and if am not mistaken you have to be over 65.

Please don't hold me to this as gospel. It is something from when we sold our home in Texas, Tennessee may have different State Laws.

Herman

1 hour ago, wmsam@sccoast.net said:
2 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Have you already left the home, and did you live in Tn., prior to selling it?

Thanks for responding, that now makes sense to me. The USPS will forward mail sent to a residential address for six months, meaning that you could have "some" mail sent to the address of the new to you TN home, then make for other arrangements. Here is an option also. http://www.themailboxstore.org/Home-Business/Digital-Mailbox-Rental

Many people use a mailing service such as The UPS Store

Here's what you get:

• A street address, not a P.O. Box number
    Have your mail and packages delivered to your personalized mailbox at The UPS Store.
  • 24-hour access*
    Pick up your mail when it’s convenient for you. Your mail and packages stay-safe and confidential.
  • Package acceptance from all shipping carriers
    We accept packages from all carriers, so you’ll never miss a delivery.
  • Package and mail receipt notification
    We can text or email you when your mail and packages arrive in your mailbox.
  • Mail holding and forwarding**
    We’ll hold your packages in a secure location for pick up at your convenience or we can forward them to you, wherever you are.
  • Call-in MailCheck
    Save time. Save a trip. Call us to find out if you have mail.
  • Mail Boxes Etc. Certified Packing Experts®
    Access to our expert staff to help you find the right packing and shipping solutions.

*Available at participating locations
** Additional fees may apply

There used to be a company called Mail Boxes Etc. but it seems that UPS has taken over that franchise.  You may find independent mailing service companies offering similar services.  In either case, there should be locations available within a few miles of your "home."  I used the find a store to confirm that there are about a dozen UPS Store locations in Knoxville alone. 

If you are concerned about cost, one way to minimize costs may be to have mail forwarded only occasionally.  We used a mail service for ten years.  During that time we usually had mail forwarded about once a week.  We would call or e-mail to let them know where to send the mail.  They would send it to a US Post Office addressed to us at General Delivery.  We would go to the post office to pick up the mail, show I.D. and receive our mail.  Now we travel only in summer and we have a friend pick up our mail.  We leave Priority Mail envelopes addressed to us, General Delivery  (needing only the city, state and zip).  Our friend fills out that information and drops it at the post office.  We are functioning fine with delivery once a month.  Obviously, we do almost everything important via the internet.  We do all banking, bill paying, etc. via electronic payments.  Most of our payments are automatic now, we just have to monitor them and ensure that the bank account will handle them.  We have always used Priority Mail for our mail forwarding to ensure that it arrives promptly and we aren't stuck hanging around for days waiting for the mail to show up at the post office.  You can experiment to see what schedule and service does the best for your situation.

For work opportunities that provide a site, the National Park Service, National Monuments, National Wildlife Areas, National Forest Service and Corps of Engineers Campgrounds have many opportunities.  Many State Parks also employ camp hosts or other positions and provide a campsite as compensation.  The Workamper News is probably your best single source but don't overlook the possibility of other opportunities such as those above.

4 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

If I understand it, the IRS allows you a one time exemption from Capitol Gains of $250,000.00 per person (co-owners a total of $500,000.00) and if am not mistaken you have to be over 65.

Please don't hold me to this as gospel. It is something from when we sold our home in Texas, Tennessee may have different State Laws.

Herman

That rule changed several years ago.  Now after age 59 you can flip a home every two years if it is your permanent residence without any tax ramifications.  That puts us to moving to TN for 2 years to sell this property.