mweiner

Generator Will Not Start?

Recently had all the vehicle and coach batteries replaced.  Tried to start generator and hear nothing..dead silence at the control panel... Any ideas... 

I suppose it could be a loose connection,  disconnect switch?  Or maybe it's a bad starter, but since I'm not hearing anything... ?  I'm thinking something is not connected..

Would appreciate any input. 

Thanks.

Does everything else that works off the chassis batteries and the house batteries work? There may be a fuse for the generator, have you checked for it? As Kay said when was the last time you had it started? You may have just a fuse issue which can be blown when connections are done wrong and sparks fly. Or it could be a bad starter solenoid.

Herman

Like Kay asked, Kind of thinking something did not get connected or a cable is connected to the wrong point. Check the wiring between the generator and the battery Connections.

Everything worked before the batteries where replace? Unlikely the person that replaced the batteries removed anything other then the main battery cables unless you had some other service work done. Generator ground connection good? 

The starter circuit for the generator - if you have a remote starter point that is not working / can you start the generator at the generator, using a switch mounted on the generator? 

Could you post the make and model number of the Generator?

Does the generator run on LP or Gas? 

Rich.

Possibly a fuse, I'm thinking in terms of a wire may have been left disconnected, but as Herman said, sparks may have flown. This is why I don't have others "so called Professionals" doing my replacements. In the past, I used gummy labels and the numbering system before disconnecting anything, now days with a cell phone camera, I take pictures in addition to the labels. With the label system, I put a number where it is disconnected from, then a corresponding number (1 to1 and so on) on the wire that has been removed. Another must for checking your generator problem is to use a VOM "volt ohm meter" to determine if there is any battery connection to the generator itself.

11 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Does everything else that works off the chassis batteries and the house batteries work? There may be a fuse for the generator, have you checked for it? As Kay said when was the last time you had it started? You may have just a fuse issue which can be blown when connections are done wrong and sparks fly. Or it could be a bad starter solenoid.

Herman

Everything else works fine. 

I'm thinking that when the Mercedes Benz dealership installed the two new deep cycle batteries, maybe they didn't connect the right positive wire for the generator?  

Interesting that everything else works perfectly fine... Or, maybe it is a bad starter solenoid? 

Right now, I'm on a trip with full hookup and it is not mission critical.. will probably have it checked out for an upcoming trip.. where we'll need it.. generator was running fine before. 

In answer to the question of the generator starting with the engine running, negative... Complete silence when I push the button on the inside of the coach to start the system.. it's like there's no power to the switch. If I didn't know, I'd think it were dead coach batteries, but, they're brand new... 

One more thing, yes, I did check out the fuses, nothing wrong there either. 

The only thing about fuses is when they do go out, you need to find out what caused it, I don't think you can just rely on replacing one without locating the source of what went wrong

Isn't this true?

Both timing and symptoms both point to a "connection left off" as the first suspect.

Do you have a wiring diagram for your motorhome?  It should show wire connections at the battery.

OR, with a voltmeter, you can check for 12+ VDC to the large lug on the generator.  If present, then check what happens when someone hits the start switch?  That will tell you a lot.

30 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Both timing and symptoms both point to a "connection left off" as the first suspect.

Do you have a wiring diagram for your motorhome?  It should show wire connections at the battery.

OR, with a voltmeter, you can check for 12+ VDC to the large lug on the generator.  If present, then check what happens when someone hits the start switch?  That will tell you a lot.

I'll look at the documentation that came with the Roadtrek, thanks. There's not too much information that I received... I have a private RV mechanic and I'll have him take a look. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mercedes Benz dealership just got it wrong on the reconnection.. after all, they don't see modified Sprinters everyday... I don't know, but, I'm pretty sure that a standard cargo van doesn't have two deep cycle batteries in the engine compartment.. and definitely doesn't have any connections to a generator! I was out of town when I got the replacement deep cycle batteries, so, if they screwed up, I'm certainly not driving back to see them. 

Brett, good idea to check the voltage on the large lug nut on the generator.. I'll tell my mechanic to look their first.. 

I don't have the tools or expertise to troubleshoot this.

Any auto parts store can check it for you, also NAPA and Interstate shop...it don't take a "Private Mechanic" to do it.:)

Can you photo the generator and batteries and area? Maybe its a simple cable left behind the batteries, another set of eyes could spot it?

OK, diagnosed at Mercedes Benz dealership... house batteries are connected to the generator with full power, no blown fuses, and they tried to start the generator right at the unit. Won't start .. nothing, no sounds.  Probably a bad starter in the generator or bad solenoid... Comments please?? Do you agree?

Tell us what generator you have-- will make troubleshooting a lot more relevant to YOUR generator.

And, assume that you did confirm 12+ VDC to lug on generator. Perhaps that is  what "connected with full power" means.

If the timing of this  "no start" was coincidence with changing the batteries, am skeptical of generator issues that just happened at the same time.

Jus a word of advice:  owning any motorhome without having a digital voltmeter (they start under $20) leads to a LOT of frustration.

Brett, it's an Onan 2500 propane generator.  I could get a digital voltmeter , however, I don't work on my own vehicles.

"If the timing of this  "no start" was coincidence with changing the batteries, am skeptical of generator issues that just happened at the same time."

This was a guesstimate on my part....we haven't run the generator much and frankly could not tell you the exact date we last used it, but, it was definitely before the batteries failed so I concluded that it was after that incidence .

If you don't have a digital voltmeter and do not want to know how to use it, a 12 volt test light will help, simple to hold the positive lead to the large lug on the side of the solenoid, there should be two, one should be hot, the other not, then the negative lead to the generator frame. If the light comes on nice and bright, then you do have voltage. Remember that those two large lugs, one should always be hot the other only when the switch has been pushed. If you do have 12 volts, a simple jumper across the two lugs, remember to only touch them, this should cause the starter to at least try to engage. If you do not want to chance this, most any RV repair shop can test it, or Cummings diesel owns Onan, so most of their shops are equipped to troubleshoot for you, only thing is they are usually very expensive. I would trust a reputable RV repair shop or Cummings over Daimler for this type of trouble shoot, most Daimler shops are excellent for their products, but have not been trained at generator repair.

1 hour ago, kaypsmith said:

If you don't have a digital voltmeter and do not want to know how to use it, a 12 volt test light will help, simple to hold the positive lead to the large lug on the side of the solenoid, there should be two, one should be hot, the other not, then the negative lead to the generator frame. If the light comes on nice and bright, then you do have voltage. Remember that those two large lugs, one should always be hot the other only when the switch has been pushed. If you do have 12 volts, a simple jumper across the two lugs, remember to only touch them, this should cause the starter to at least try to engage. If you do not want to chance this, most any RV repair shop can test it, or Cummings diesel owns Onan, so most of their shops are equipped to troubleshoot for you, only thing is they are usually very expensive. I would trust a reputable RV repair shop or Cummings over Daimler for this type of trouble shoot, most Daimler shops are excellent for their products, but have not been trained at generator repair.

Kay, thanks... It's not that I don't want to know how, but, I don't actually work on any of my vehicles, RV or cars, and I have two cars plus the RV. WHY? I know my limitations. Look, cars today are basically rolling computers, if you don't know what you are doing, you can actually cause more problems,  and I expect all my vehicles to be running in top flight condition always, just like an airplane. I put a very high priority on this. I can afford a professional, if I can't do it, I wouldn't have the vehicle. Fortunately, the smaller Class B is going to be less expensive than a really much larger coach. 

Just a few days ago, my CEL came on and I had to go to the Mercedes Benz dealership... Turns out I had a bad glow plug, number 4.  I figured it was just a matter of time before the others would fail and they charge two hours labor for the work and diagnosis. When I asked them how much for the remaining five, they charged me only one extra labor hour to install the other five plugs. I did not want to revisit this in a few months, so, I had them to all of them together. 

The dealership was a little surprised that this occurred at only 28,000 miles.. could it be possible that the original owners didn't pay attention to the proper two stage starting of a diesel engine???

Anyway, it's done and someone told me that they should be good for the next 80,000 to 100,000 miles. 

I personally think that the generator is a bad starter... when I push the button inside the coach, nothing. And, Mercedes check out all the connections under the hood and even tried to start the generator right at the unit. They confirmed that the unit was getting an electric current, it just wouldn't start. 

The original owners hardly ever used the generator and we're plugged in most of the time. 

I'll take it to an RV shop and let them diagnose the generator. 

---Mark

8 hours ago, MWeiner said:

I know my limitations.

Mark, I have seen a lot of people do some serious damage with a screw driver, knowing your limitations is not a bad thing, just could hurt your wallet in the end. Let us know the final fix for the generator.

Cummins, owns Onan!  Might be a bad bushing...take it to Cummins and get a Cummins Power Club membership when there, 10% off parts and labor!

FYI.  Don't think anyone on this Forum, care about what you can or can't afford !  Jay Leno, can do his cars and motorcycles!  We are here to help!

Mark, no problem with not knowing how, and not wanting to learn. I had a brother who died new year day 2017, 91 years young. He was a multi millionaire, and could not install a battery without blowing something up, he actually did things backwards in order to never have to work on anything. Que sera sera, and to each his own.

2 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Mark, no problem with not knowing how, and not wanting to learn. I had a brother who died new year day 2017, 91 years young. He was a multi millionaire, and could not install a battery without blowing something up, he actually did things backwards in order to never have to work on anything. Que sera sera, and to each his own.

Sorry to hear about your brother... I'm not rich, which is why I purchased a five year old coach.. and it's not that I don't want to learn.. I understand more of the concepts of how a lot of mechanical things operate, just don't want to be a wrench... and, cars or RVs, are all run today by the ECU.. remember, this is German engineering for the vehicle, the generator, OK, Cummins /Onan ... First, the generator is located and mounted just over the rear wheels directly in the center of the coach, a sturdy spot, but certainly not easy to get to.. Everything on the coach fits exactly like a glove... not one bit of wasted space. 

Thanks for your input and suggestions. 

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Cummins, owns Onan!  Might be a bad bushing...take it to Cummins and get a Cummins Power Club membership when there, 10% off parts and labor!

FYI.  Don't think anyone on this Forum, care about what you can or can't afford !  Jay Leno, can do his cars and motorcycles!  We are here to help!

Thanks, I appreciate your input and the tip of getting a 10 percent discount, every little bit helps. 

I'll  look into a Cummins dealer. 

I guess if you have as many cars as Jay Leno, you'd better know how to fix them.. or have his budget.

Mark, I know about German engineering pretty well also, Daimler has a plant 30 miles from where I live. I have many friends who work there, the training program is impeccable, no one is allowed to turn a bolt on the assembly line without having been thoroughly trained, most of them are flown to Germany for their training. The plant was first put opened to build the M class, then 15 years later doubled in size to start producing a pickup truck line, to date still no pickup trucks have rolled, several prototypes, but none have been able to cut the muster so far.