rossboyer

Should FMCA Allow Towable RVs-- Vote NOW

Bill,  you just describe the Red Cross, The Wounded Warriors Project, and virtually every other operation that is a non profit. How about the salaries for all corporations. You work for a salary, are you worth what you receive. 

I praise all that work for FMCA for keeping the association going so you can have a place to help other  RVers.

Nowll lets get back to the Topic,  Voting on changing FMCA,Family Motor Coach Association to read, FMCA, for Recreation Vehicle owners. 

Herman 

I really hope that the outcome of the voting is that towables aren't allowed to join.  FMCA was started and has always been an exclusive "MOTOR" club not just another RV club.  Allowing towables will end that difference and along with it FMCA will become just another Good Sam type club that allows just anyone in.  If I loose my desire and towables are allowed into the group then charge them twice the dues to keep out those that just join any club they can and bring down the quality down to dirt level.  ****, might as well let the tent campers in too then !!!!!!

5 hours ago, BillAdams said:

Pick anyone who is paid to work for FMCA.  If you would like me to withdraw the big paycheck wording, fine (define big), but this is not a charity and there are a great number of folks depending upon volunteers to ensure they get paid every 2 weeks.  I don't know who makes what but there are a number of actual employees getting actual paychecks from the CEO down to the folks to run the mail room.  Am I expected to believe that in all the years this BUSINESS has been in business no one has ever profited from the business they started and that none of that profit has been derived from the facts that a great deal of this business' profit comes from the saving generated by volunteers?

Bill, I agree that there should be more transparency in regards to who gets paid and how much (and these salaries might be a place to save $$).

I strongly disagree with your feeling that recruiting new members pads the pockets of the paid staff!  People here attempt to recruit new members because they love the organization, not for any monetary gain for themselves or anyone else.  They see the value in joining the club and want to share that with other motorhome owners.  Have you never belonged to a club or organization you felt so strongly about, that you wanted to tell as many people as possible?

When one of my neighbors or coworkers gets a motorhome, I bring them FMCA literature not to make a buck, but because I truly love FMCA.  

I spend time talking about FMCA because I believe in it.  Do you?

P.s. Ken Scott is rolling over in his grave.

"   I don't know who makes what but there are a number of actual employees getting actual paychecks from the CEO down to the folks to run the mail room.  "

A really profound statement. I know of no one that works for a living that doesn't draw a paycheck

I know of no, "Not for profit" or "Tax free Foundation", that does not have paid employees!  I'm a member of 5 Fraternal Tax Free Foundations in America and 2 in Europe.  I'm sorry Bill Adams, but I have no idea which "Planet" your at !

Back to topic!  Ross, I would be the first in line to vote yes on Trailers, if it was a sister club or an Associated Club, without the right to hold National office or Vote!  Back in 2016, before the first Vote, it was presented as a possibility for expansion, by including trailers as a sister club, sometime in the future, if we allowed the Constitution & By Laws to be changed, to reflect the 21st century!  When the votes where in, the executive board, changed it to coach & RV's as full members...I was told by our current Sr. NVP "Rett", that it would be too much trouble to obtain a "separate charter", for a sister club!  I do not now, nor did I at the time (DRVC Rally, pre Chandler) buy into the "separate charter"! 

Carl

You are correct Carl. It was told to the membership in the Dec. 2016 magazine that towables would be a separate entity. Don't believe for one minute that it was the entire executive board that made the wording change to the documents.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't see the trouble with coming up with a separate charter. Just take ours and change the words like they did and there you go!

Now FMCA will be an over priced Good Sam "Club"

14 hours ago, aztec7fan said:

Bill, I agree that there should be more transparency in regards to who gets paid and how much (and these salaries might be a place to save $$).

I strongly disagree with your feeling that recruiting new members pads the pockets of the paid staff!  People here attempt to recruit new members because they love the organization, not for any monetary gain for themselves or anyone else.  They see the value in joining the club and want to share that with other motorhome owners.  Have you never belonged to a club or organization you felt so strongly about, that you wanted to tell as many people as possible?

When one of my neighbors or coworkers gets a motorhome, I bring them FMCA literature not to make a buck, but because I truly love FMCA.  

I spend time talking about FMCA because I believe in it.  Do you?

P.s. Ken Scott is rolling over in his grave.

Do I believe in it?  I guess I would have to say no as I am not sure what I am supposed to believe in.  It's just a business.  It happens to be a business I like and I support by sending them a check every year.  They don't even send me a magazine any more.  I expect them to continue to run the business I support.  If they cannot run the business I am paying to be a member of each year then they need to shut down, raise rates or, as the current vote will determine, completely change the business plan and hope that folks like me will remain members (I won't) and the new towables crowd will be large enough to support the salaries of those trying to keep the business afloat.

To Herman:

Comparing FMCA to the Red Cross and similar organizations out there doing good work to help those in need is laughable.  Not of lot of motorhome owners out there that are in need of that kind of help.

We seem to be straying a bit from the topic of this discussion.

Let's see if we can get it back on track: Should FMCA Allow Towable RVs-- Vote By All FMCA Members Coming Up

Thanks,

Sorry Brett, but I think the "topic" alone, will be all over the map!  There is so much "Misinformation" out there, I don't see how you can put a lid on the "wandering of subject"! :(

If towable RVs are allowed full membership, I won't run away, but it will certainly change my perspective. Why would I travel to a rally that might be directed towards Towables by a 70/30 skew? What will happen to MH Seminars? What about products? What about new RVs? I go to the Hersey RV show and I look at the MH equipment and a couple motorhomes, but it is a day out, it is however heavily skewed to trailers. If a FMCA really starts to look like the average RV show, why should we attend?

I'll find a chapter or a group or maybe just travel alone. The draw will be missing.

On 8/7/2017 at 9:19 PM, Isaaac1 said:

I have to wonder what percentage of the membership never reads the magazine,  or at least does not read it in a timely manner

Well this statement is me.  Other than following this forum, I am always 2 to 3 months behind in my magazine reading.   I was of the opinion that this issue had been settled at the summer national rally.  Obviously, not so.  I'm glad I stumbled across this thread.  So now I (foot already in mouth) have to ask; from reading here, I gather there is a paper ballot in one of my unread issues?  Which one?  I'll rip it out and it will be in the mail tomorrow.  I do have an opinion and have been expressing my opinion to 'National' at every opportunity.  I  will not miss a chance to cast a vote if I can help it.

The ballot will be in the , and I'm trying to remember here because I'm moving and have no idea which box my notes are in, September, October and November issue.  You will also see it in the digital issues, by going to FMCA. Com.

Happy trails 

I think the staff said yes to being in the digital copy. You will need to print it, fill it out and mail to the firm that counts the mail ballots. 

We joined FMCA over 17 years ago specifically because it was motorhome-focused.  We were (are) also members of Good Sam.  If FMCA changes to allow towables, I see no advantage to remaining in the club as the content would be diluted/become more generic "RV", and Good Sam gets us better and more varied discounts for lower cost.  

It is VERY inappropriate to have "it's time to take a step in the right direction" plastered on the main FMCA web landing page.  The leadership should not be pushing their opinion/agenda on the membership in such a fashion.  Such verbage indicates that the leadership has put their main energies into making this happen rather than listening respectfully and thoughtfully to any of the membership's opinions.  That alone gives me pause as to whether the current leadership has the general membership's best interests in mind.

2 hours ago, spuds said:

We joined FMCA over 17 years ago specifically because it was motorhome-focused.  We were (are) also members of Good Sam.  If FMCA changes to allow towables, I see no advantage to remaining in the club as the content would be diluted/become more generic "RV", and Good Sam gets us better and more varied discounts for lower cost.  

It is VERY inappropriate to have "it's time to take a step in the right direction" plastered on the main FMCA web landing page.  The leadership should not be pushing their opinion/agenda on the membership in such a fashion.  Such verbage indicates that the leadership has put their main energies into making this happen rather than listening respectfully and thoughtfully to any of the membership's opinions.  That alone gives me pause as to whether the current leadership has the general membership's best interests in mind.

Thanks for the heads up on  the ballot.  We belong to GS and Escapees as well as FMCA.  Spuds, amen.

Brocki wrote below...

"We joined FMCA over 17 years ago specifically because it was motorhome-focused.    (still very much is on the larger Class A's)

Wewere (are) also members of Good Sam.  If FMCA changes to allow towables, I see no advantage to remaining in the club as the content would be diluted/become more generic "RV", and Good Sam gets us better and more varied discounts for lower cost"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+----

This is no question the most hot button issue in the FMCA..... but, aside from any particular outcome.....the FMCA might as well just be called the Class A Motor Home Club of America... 

I won't probably renew my membership next year...Class B owners are non existent on this forum at least active participants...  Old threads are dormant and no one responds to new questions.

Very sad. 

And the Class A folks just love to tell me that if I'm concerned about fuel efficiency, I'm in the "wrong hobby"????? What's with that?? 

AND, the moderator defends it ?   What's really going on here...? 

If the towables are green lighted, which I highly doubt...it will be ALL about the money.... 

Either they will take over the discussion on the forum with their issues or be frozen out and alienated by the predominantly discussed Class As.  

I wonder how many people are dropping their membership each year ?? 

1 hour ago, MWeiner said:

Brocki wrote below...

"We joined FMCA over 17 years ago specifically because it was motorhome-focused.    (still very much is on the larger Class A's)

Wewere (are) also members of Good Sam.  If FMCA changes to allow towables, I see no advantage to remaining in the club as the content would be diluted/become more generic "RV", and Good Sam gets us better and more varied discounts for lower cost"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+----

This is no question the most hot button issue in the FMCA..... but, aside from any particular outcome.....the FMCA might as well just be called the Class A Motor Home Club of America... 

It appears you mis-credited your quote.  Those (with the strongly noted exception of your added "larger Class A" comment) are my words, not Brocki's.

We own a B+/C (depending on your definition of such) and do not share your impression of FMCA as a Class A Motorhome Club.  I certainly haven't found the general community to be unwelcoming to any class of motorhome.

1 hour ago, spuds said:

It appears you mis-credited your quote.  Those (with the strongly noted exception of your added "larger Class A" comment) are my words, not Brocki's.

We own a B+/C (depending on your definition of such) and do not share your impression of FMCA as a Class A Motorhome Club.  I certainly haven't found the general community to be unwelcoming to any class of motorhome.

OK, sorry Michelle... So, you have a Class B plus... really a Class C.. 

Didn't mean to misquote your words... 

As far as I know ... there's almost "no activity" on the FMCA for Class B owners... I'm talking van motor homes like mine..  

By the way, the Leisure Travel Unity is an absolutely wonderful vehicle... Do you have the Murphy Bed... I loved the videos and features of these...  Really great product.. has the same drive train as mine, 3 litre Mercedes Benz Sprinter V6... 

We also looked at the Navion... Leisure Travel Unity is kinda hard to find in Southern California...and I didn't want to purchase a brand new one... 

I'm sure you are going to love it... 

I did consider the Navion.. but, I absolutely loved the way the Roadtrek drove....it's less complicated, less concerns about roof seals and better road dynamics... At least it's my opinion behind the wheel.... 

Good luck.... 

Weiner.

It's not about your Class B, Roadtreck MB, that turn us off....It's you!  I'm tired about your "I know everything diesel"!  Yet, you can't change a spark plug!

Carl

I just joined FMCA. Had both tow able and 5er. I never tried to join FMCA before, now when and how do I vote on the issue.

John

KD0MOA

John,

It is my understanding that the ballot will be in the magazine-- I believe the September issue and maybe 2 months after that as well.

43 minutes ago, kd0moa said:

I just joined FMCA. Had both tow able and 5er. I never tried to join FMCA before, now when and how do I vote on the issue.

John

KD0MOA

Welcome to the forum... what kind of rig do you have?

I won't probably renew my membership next year...Class B owners are non existent on this forum at least active participants...  Old threads are dormant and no one responds to new questions.

Oh, thank goodness.  I now have hope for the future of this forum again!