rossboyer

Should FMCA Allow Towable RVs-- Vote NOW

2 hours ago, Elkhartjim said:

Here ya go, Mark. This may be a much more appropriate forum for your pontificating.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/

Or this one. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f259/

Or this one http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/21

Please feel free to share your wisdom with more likeminded individuals. As you have lamented there just aren't any Class B users active heare. When you go camping print out some applications and recruit other Class B owners to join. Build a chapter of like minded owners. If you can recruit 20 other owners to your chapter then you can hold Rallies and the parks will give you discounts. Go for it.

Bill

John.

Welcome to FMCA and the Forum!

If your on the road for September, October and November and your not able to get your hard copy of the magazine, then go to the digital copy on FMCA. com and download a copy of the insert for voting.  No matter how you feel about it, every F# is allowed one vote! 

We the members of FMCA, are the owners of FMCA...Please VOTE !

Carl

Reaching out to the existing motorhome owners who have never heard of FMCA is a solution that would actually increase membership without changing our Founders Focus on Motorhomes. 

Next time you're in a RV park--- find a motorhome driver without a FMCA oval and ask them if they've heard of FMCA.

RVIA reports: "RV shipments for May top 40,000 for the third straight month, staying on record pace". 
Towables are up by 19.8% over 2016 but motorhomes were up 27.5%  
So how many of those 6,163 May 2017 motorhome buyers have heard about FMCA yet?
If we aren't asking eligible members to join then increasing the pool will not fix the perceived problem. It will only dilute the Founders vision. 
Let's go all out on our own recruitment before we vote to enter direct competition with Good Sam/Escapees.

Where did you get the 6163 number?  Even if that's accurate, that means of the 40,000 RV 33,837 were NOT eligible to join FMCA.  FMCA is just chasing the money.

Bill.  This time I will agree with that thought...some one/ or one's will make a pot full of gold on this deal, if it goes thru!

Carl

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:19 PM, Isaaac1 said:

I have to wonder what percentage of the membership never reads the magazine,  or at least does not read it in a timely manner

I must admit that I hardly ever read it, but my DW can't wait for the mail to run when it is due in the mailbox. She stays up till way after midnight reading it, so here is 50%, just from my household alone.-_-

IF RV sales are at 40k for the month and MHs are about 20% then we have 8,000 new owners. What ever the actual numbers are really does not matter. The real and pertinent question is: Are these new owners being approached to join? Are they getting an FMCA brochure at the time of purchase? Has FMCA developed a program with the manufacturers of MHs and MH dealers to get our information in the hands of new owners? If we have not done this, why do we think that opening up membership to trailers is necessary? We have an acknowledged pool of potential members that meet the requirements of our charter that we are not addressing. Until we do that I see no viable reason to change. 

I've read here that we don't do enough to make owners of B's, super B's and C's feel welcome. Frankly I sort of agree based solely upon the representation I have seen at two National Rallies. There were Coaches, from old and small to multi-million dollar rigs, but there were not that many B or C MHs, yes both rallies had them available for sale. This is good, but most of the seminars and products were directed towards the A coaches. Possibly this could be addressed. a lot of potential members have them. Why don't they see a value in FMCA? I have a relative with a B, they love it, traveled from NJ to Sante Fe and back in two weeks and would not trade for our A. He says why should I be a member? Tires aren't that expensive for this rig and AAA covers my tow and ERS like it was another car. What can we offer to him? Answer that and maybe we can solve our membership issue from within our target audience.

I think the larger issue is FMCA needs to try to cater to the minority demographics in the club and not the majority.  I am also part of a small minority since I travel with kids.  The organization wants to bring in more families with kids, but then they only publish one magazine out of 12 with kids pages in it.  The national conventions are designed to seperate families so the adults have more time to attend seminars and look at exhibits, but I feel this is an old fashion design.  Families today have so little time together, activities need to be scheduled that includes kids and adults.  How about a concert of music kids or teens really want to hear (sorry frustrated maestros).  How about sporting events like a football game or tug of war?

Btw, two years ago, the magazine was covered in articles about road tech class Bs, I don't know why it has dropped off so much.

And yes, I do agree,not enough is being done to bring in new members with this current wave of new motorhome buyers.  Seems strange we can't generate more traction now.

Chris G.

Some of FMCA's issues with B's C's and Super C's is that there are enough Class A elitist that RV parks around the Country are becoming Class A ONLY or devote sections of the park to Class A rigs only.  While this "should not be" a deterent to B's and C's it's pretty easy to make the leap as a Class B or C owner that FMCA is not for them either.  It should not be that way but I you review the FMCA magazine I think you will like a lot more information pertaining to Class A coaches than you will on B's and C's.  I guess the average 71 year old FMCA member tends to be driving a Class A.

5 hours ago, aztec7fan said:

The national conventions are designed to seperate families so the adults have more time to attend seminars and look at exhibits, but I feel this is an old fashion design.  Families today have so little time together, activities need to be scheduled that includes kids and adults.  

Chris, I would extend your "old fashioned idea" even further and comment that many rallies, both national and some chapter, separate the "menfolk and the wimmenfolk" so the men get technical seminars and the women get "cheap bedazzling floral arranging crafts" (which seems like an afterthought as well - "what the heck do we do with the wives?".)  That only serves to further the misconception of FMCA as an older, retired person's club.  As younger folks are becoming RVers (we started in our 30's and are now in our 50's), we have always done things together (there are no "pink" or "blue" jobs in our coach) and personally I go to the tech seminars because they are a heck of a lot more interesting (you couldn't pay me to sequin-coat a planter ;-) )  

TBH the main way to make this paradigm shift is to get younger folks into the leadership of the organization, particularly for the planning of rallies and conventions.  Escapees is doing this successfully with Xscapers and their convergences.

Michelle

Isn't that an interesting statement.  Can someone tell us what the average age of the Governing Board is?

Bill A.  GB, probably mid 60's...EB 70+!  I'm GB or was, 74+.  I don't have a answer, but I also would like to see the 30 to 50 year olds on both boards, same with The Future Planning Committee and FMCA Rally Committee! 

Truth be told, there are a lot of vocal ideas, but nobody is stepping up to the plate!  Everyone has an opinion and then an excuse of why they can't be involved on any level...that is why you have us old dinosaurs, year after year!

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Bill A.  GB, probably mid 60's...EB 70+!  I'm GB or was, 74+.  I don't have a answer, but I also would like to see the 30 to 50 year olds on both boards, same with The Future Planning Committee and FMCA Rally Committee! 

Truth be told, there are a lot of vocal ideas, but nobody is stepping up to the plate!  Everyone has an opinion and then an excuse of why they can't be involved on any level...that is why you have us old dinosaurs, year after year!

Ok, I'm a working stiff who gets two weeks of vacation and maybe a few long weekends a year to spend in my motorhome, which I want to spend with my family.  How could someone like me (not saying I want to, just an example, but?), be able to be in any of the leadership positions?

I'm not disagreeing with either of you, I agree wholeheartedly, but what are the (time) requirements of the people in position?  How could someone like me fulfill those requirements?

Chris G.

Chris G., I can agree with you regarding the Family being a somewhat missing part of Family Motor Coach. We to travel with our daughter. We've been to two National Rallies and she has come with us both times. Nearly nothing at all for her. FMCA Energized under Jeff's direction is working hard on that but three are miles to go. We have been members for ten years. Last year and this are the first two rallies we've made. Why? School and the need to take more than one week off. Local chapters seem to hold many if not most of their gatherings during the week or mostly during the week, Thurs, Fri, Sat. The school year leaves only little more than July on a national scale for kids to be free to travel Our school usually ends mid June and starts early Sept to the last few days of August. Some places end later others start earlier.

At the Indy Rally Energized was able to arrange free WiFi in the Kid Zone, albeit it was FAR away from EVERYTHING at least it existed. Our Daughter was able to log in and work/play. Maybe we are unique in that our 20yo daughter still travels with us, willingly! but having activities for Older Teens not just Kids and early Teens might help in getting the Family back into FMCA. The people we are saying we need to attract are those with kids from toddler to late teens and even college age. This group is much more likely to be in a C than a 45 foot A. If we want to attract more members we need to attract their families!

Chris,

You make several good points about Work, Time and Age. Taking on a position, any position and doing it right, does take time. Therefore I see it as my duty to take on a position within FMCA so you and other members are able to enjoy the association. Many have gone before us and many will follow. So help when and where you are able. Come when you can and enjoy the time you have with your family. 

When the time comes when you are empty nester's and retired you may want to get involved more. Til that time come, keep asking your questions and get involved when and where you can.

Herman

I'm sorry but FMCA is just a business.  If the folks running the business are not doing the job then you fire them and hire people who can do the job.  It's not the job of the folks who represent the business for free as they travel around the Country to run the business.  Someone up there is getting paid to run the business.  It sounds like they are failing to keep up with the needs of the consumer.  As with an business, it either needs to fix the problem or go away.  I am sure the owners of this business have decided it's best to switch than fight (evolve) and will end up as just another humongous RV group like Good Sam or Escapee.  This might be a good business move as they will have access to the 80% of RV owners that do not own a motorhome.  The new business will no longer carry Family in the name and it won't say Motor Coach so FMCA will mean nothing more than FMCA.

This is not our club as many have repeated again and again.  It's a business and someone needs to start running it like one.

7 hours ago, BillAdams said:

I'm sorry but FMCA is just a business.  If the folks running the business are not doing the job then you fire them and hire people who can do the job.  It's not the job of the folks who represent the business for free as they travel around the Country to run the business.  Someone up there is getting paid to run the business.  It sounds like they are failing to keep up with the needs of the consumer.  As with an business, it either needs to fix the problem or go away.  I am sure the owners of this business have decided it's best to switch than fight (evolve) and will end up as just another humongous RV group like Good Sam or Escapee.  This might be a good business move as they will have access to the 80% of RV owners that do not own a motorhome.  The new business will no longer carry Family in the name and it won't say Motor Coach so FMCA will mean nothing more than FMCA.

This is not our club as many have repeated again and again.  It's a business and someone needs to start running it like one.

I agree with Bill. Many companies have chosen to go this route because it is easier. It is so much easier to look outside for ways to grow and earn more money rather then look within and identify who is not working up to potential and make changes in order to stay lean and mean. I have felt since I joined that FMCA is certainly not at the top of their game or anywhere near. Yes, they have a great tire program. But shortly after I joined I called and asked why they don't have a battery program. Their answer "We're working on it" I have asked  why they don't have an online trip programmer similar to Good Sam; their answer..."we're working on it" C'mon guys...even AAA admits they don't do even 10% of the trip tics they did 10 years ago...everything is online and allows you to customize depending on your needs...and that is one of the reasons AAA membership is declining.  My screen name suddenly got deleted along with all my posts. I called and after some searching they "found it" but their IT guy couldn't restore it because in his words "their system was not capable of saving my screen name or join date"... so I was given a "new" screen name and a new join date. The FMCA website takes the longest of any website that I normally look at on a daily basis to load.  On a personal level I have mentioned belonging to FMCA many times in conversation with other motorized RV owners and have yet met one who was/is an FMCA member. Most had heard but said the only benefit they new of was the tire deal.  I think FMCA could become the premier group to belong to if they would just abide by their original mission and make the necessary changes to become the best. Just my opinion...but I still think the "Verizon deal" would be alive today except that suddenly Verizon realized that the current membeship numbers they were given by FMCA was about to change in a huge way and that was not what they had bargained for.

FMCA is not a business, all are non paid volunteers!  Yes, the folks on the EB get their qualifying expenses back!

FMC is a for profit business and people get salaries and insurance just like any business.

Sorry Bill Adams, you need to read the Constitution, Charter and By Laws!

Family Motor Coaching is the profit corporation. The magazine, Conventions and I think the store fall in this side of the organization. Family Motor Coach Association is the not for profit parent corporation. In order to be not for profit they must meet certain requirements that is why there are educational seminars, etc. The members of the Executive Board are the members of both organizations and have separate meetings. 

So, if we shut down FMC and get rid of all the paid employees, would FMCA continue to exist?

BillA.

Your being argumentative and that has, as you very well know, no place on this Forum!

Please, lets get back to the Original Post...Allowing Towables!

PM me if you wish.

I really am not being argumentative.  I was asking for clarification from the person who said this was not a for profit business but FMC is so I could better understand how this business operates.  I don't plan to read the Constitution, Charter or by-laws but I am pretty sure someone got paid to write all of those documents.  Why is discussing having paid people working on the behalf of FMCA taboo?

5 hours ago, BillAdams said:

So, if we shut down FMC and get rid of all the paid employees, would FMCA continue to exist?

The short answer is no it would cease to exist. I don't know of any not for profit organization that does not have paid employees to keep the volunteers on track. Some of those that I can think of that do have paid employees are Boy and Girl Souts of America, American Red Cross, Salvation Army, Churches of most denominations, and I am sure that there are many more that other members know; but that is enough to prove the point.