rossboyer

Should FMCA Allow Towable RVs-- Vote NOW

I don't think it has to do with voter suppression, there are legal issues, the method of voting is in the bylaws. You violate them in an organization like FMCA you could wind up in court. Electronic voting is not free.

As for the subject of the vote itself, I agree, if this passes FMCA is on its deathbed. I won't quit, then again I am paid up for a number of years, but I can see it becoming less of a resource than it currently is.

I just voted "NO" and it will be in today's mail.

Bottom line for me is if this turns FMCA into just another version of Good Sam Club I will resign from FMCA (I wonder if I could get a prorated dues refund?) or I will allow my membership to expire next spring when it comes up for renewal. I joined FMCA because it was a club for motorhome owners with a magazine that catered to motorhome issues. I have no interest in reading about trailers, vehicles that tow trailers, or anything to do with towable camping.  I am already a member of Good Sam Club--only because I like the discount at Camping World and the diesel fuel discount at Flying J Truck stops. The results of this vote will determine if I remain a member of FMCA; If you are looking for younger members you are about to lose one depending on which way this vote goes.

" I wonder if I could get a prorated dues refund? "

Mike, FMCA does not prorate dues. The only way you would get a refund is if you paid for more than one year. Then you would be eligible to get a refund of those "unused"years.

Bottom line is you will remain a member until the time you do not renew your membership

I took a look at sales volumes from RVIA.  Basically Motorhomes account for about 12% of total RV market with Class=A half of that percent.

How many current FMCA owners started out with a Class-A as their first RV?

Might it be possible to grow rather than shrinking our membership if we didn't turn our back on 90% of the RV owners?

Look at current attendance trends for FMCA events. Attendance numbers are not growing. Our last 4,000 attendance was ten years ago.

I can't even imagine a Convention with 5,000 never mind 7,000

You should have been at the one in Brunswick, ME in 2000.  Right about 8,000 coaches lined up on the Air Force base runways!  I think it was the last time that FMCA rally where everyone really wanted to go!

The lack of attendance isn't nessasarly a result of less Motorhomes. Less convenient locations of rallies and people are working longer in life with less free time. We have several friends with Motorhomes and trailers for that matter, no one but my wife and I see the value, most modern families don't want the extra expense for little net gain that they feel they don't need and are not into socializing in groups, I love that, plus I'm a techncial guy, this is a good fit for me.

If the organization was actively trying to recruit 10% of Motorhomes sold in the last 25 years this would be a moot point. 

Interesting, as I was typing that It just dawned on me how much I love the magazine (one of the main reason for my membership)  if it's diluted with trailer stuff that's gone, at 6 copies a year it cost me $10.00 per issue, as that is all my membership provides to my family in benefits that I can see and touch, comradeship is the other, toss trailers into it I lost both :(.

I have heard how difficult it is to pick a location for a rally, but if you look back at previous rally locations they were spread out better, as mentioned above, huge rally attendees in Maine, but yet that location has not been put back on the list. 

I owned a small business, my customers were here but I go over there, away from them, said no successful business owner ever. 

I'm stepping off the soap box, everyone have a good night.

3 hours ago, tireman9 said:

I took a look at sales volumes from RVIA.  Basically Motorhomes account for about 12% of total RV market with Class=A half of that percent.

How many current FMCA owners started out with a Class-A as their first RV?

Might it be possible to grow rather than shrinking our membership if we didn't turn our back on 90% of the RV owners?

Look at current attendance trends for FMCA events. Attendance numbers are not growing. Our last 4,000 attendance was ten years ago.

I can't even imagine a Convention with 5,000 never mind 7,000

My first motorhome was a class A. I don't want to push away coach vendors who bring dozens of motorhomes to rallys, push vendors away, waterdown seminars and have a gas generator next to me in a 25' wide spot.  I'm not interested in another Escapees or good sams and don't know why we are proposing to toss our niche market   

12% motorhomes represents over half our current membership of 73,000.  HALF  In one year!

The purpose of fmca as stated:

"The purpose of FMCA is to promote good fellowship and cooperation among all FMCA members, represent motor coach owners as a group and promote their best interests, foster the improvement of motor coaches and recreational facilities, promote effective communication for the common good of members, assist in the formation of chapters, and strive for a high standard of conduct resulting in a favorable public image of FMCA and its members. "

I don't believe the chicken little stories about the sky falling and I don't believe in tossing out the Founders purpose as our first, and only, proposed solution. 

And for those reasons I'm voting no.  Not turning my back on anyone. I'll see them at an Escapees/good Sam  rally if I so desire. 

Linda and I just voted...we have separate F#'s...resounding NO !

We are both life members of GS, since they started selling Life.  On our card, it say's "Charter Life Member"!  Why?  For the same reason we have "Passport America", camping discount !  Other than that, we have nothing in common with GS!  Only trailers we have is stock and utility! 

In regards to the 5 year or less prediction...I guess we will find out, since our dues are paid until 2023!

When the by law's was written, there was no personal computers, mobile phones!  Al Gore had not invented the internet yet !  Up until now, we had nothing off this magnitude to vote on, so there was no reason to change anything in the by-laws!  Has nothing to do with you being young and I being in my 70's...Has everything to do with "Policy and Procedure"!  No, something's in this life cannot be changed by "Executive Action" !

Carl

We are members of Good Sam and Escapees for the campground discounts among other things.  Yes they both have trip routing but so does FMCA and I have used it several times.  FMCAssist is worth the price of my dues but so is the magazine.

We don't need another Good Sam or Escapees - we already have that.  We like FMCA because is motorhome specific.  Many of our friends have travel trailers and 5th wheels.  When we mention FMCA allowing towables, their question is "Why?".  And many of them have no desire to own a motorhome.

As soon as I saw the ballot on the website, I printed and voted "No". It was mailed the same day.

if we really want to attract new members, is there a way to work with manufacturers to offer a free or reduced cost trial membership?  May not be practical from a financial viewpoint but we need some alternative to becoming another Good Sam.

After leaning to and fro, we finally decided that IMSooter hit the nail on the head, and we also will vote no.  We belong to Escapees and Good Sam, and I don't need another look alike.  Thanks,

Jim/Judy Fagan

F279425

Anyone know what the plans are for this forums if this passes?  I guess it will have to mirror RV.NET that supports both Motor Coaches and Towed type RVs including Tow vehicles

The recruiting plan you suggested is in place with dealers, but very few (Lazy Days is exception) take advantage of using it.

Most want to close the deal not realizing the potential of return buyers because they have gotten involved with FMCA. 

5 hours ago, rossboyer said:

The recruiting plan you suggested is in place with dealers, but very few (Lazy Days is exception) take advantage of using it.

Most want to close the deal not realizing the potential of return buyers because they have gotten involved with FMCA. 

A plan in place is good, but is there any outreach? If the dealer is not educated to the benefit he won't use it. Also are we looking to the Manufacturers?

We joined FMCA in 2012.  We are members of the RV Diesel Club chapter of FMCA.  We were able to make our first FMCA Int'l Rally at Madison, WI in 2015... we enjoyed the seminars, the vendor booths, and yes ...loved the Frustrated Maestros evening entertainment.  Never met Charlie Adcock in person, but his personality was "contagious enthusiasm" at that Rally.. what a great representation for FMCA!!   We had fifty amp electrical and parking on a hard surface...both important to us.

As others have said, we too joined Escapees, Passport America, KOA, and Good Sam.  Campsite discounts, and yes we like the Pilot Flying J fuel discounts.  

But we feel most benefit personally from FMCA membership.  Why?  Because THIS best represents our interest as Motorhome owners.   We both read each Motorcoach Magazine issue cover to cover and look forward to the travel and maintenance topics.  When we shopped for MH insurance, we called several ins co. but felt the best price, policy, and wonderful staff support using FMCA RV Ins. Agency earned our business.  We decided not to renew our GS Travel Assist when FMCA added that as a membership benefit.  Because we have upgraded size of our MH, we haven't yet needed to use the FMCA member benefit for Michelin Tire Discount..but we surely will use that benefit in the next year.   We purchased FMCA hat, Jacket, drink coasters, and FMCA Travel Atlas.   We haven't used the FMCA Trip Planner but think that is another benefit we will use in the future.  

While we don't often post to these forum topics, we read and follow many threads and feel as relative newbies ..five years in RVing...we have learned so much from many of you, and found help when we posted a request on the forum.  Just as we benefit from other forum discussions and replies when we asked for help here on FMCA, we feel this discussion on whether to admit towables is worthwhile.  Exactly BECAUSE this forum is motorhome centric.

This year, our schedule didn't work to attend Indy FMCA Rally for the entire time, nor did we have enough time to warrant paying the FMCA Passport Reg fee, and lo and behold!  An unexpected FMCA email arrived that allowed us a free DAY PASS which allowed us the wiggle room to visit the Rally for the part of day we had available and we were nearby that week.  Thank You FMCA...we were able to visit vendor booths and show coaches...it also allowed us to see where parking sites are located ..most or all were hard surface.  

We share these details because most of what we write are examples of WHY we are FMCA members, and WHAT we feel are some of the many member benefits we have experienced.

We have given thought and discussed this towables change over the several months since learning a change was being considered.

We joined and look forward to, hoping for, FMCA to remain a motorhome only member group.  It is after all the ONE thing that distinguishes this membership from all the others...let us keep it that way.

And, yes!  The GB and EB of FMCA, FMC need to get their priority in line with the founders....  Please do the type of out reach ideas suggested in this thread...offer a one year free membership via manufacturers to all MH buyers ..and make sure dealers are aware of the same offer for those purchasing a second or third or?? owner motorhome.  Wouldn't it be great to TRY that before giving away the one thing we have that other clubs do not....motorhome only membership?

Thank you to all who are taking the time and interest to post, discuss, and share views whether pro or con on such a major change to FMCA stated purpose.

We are mailing our NO vote.  

Bluebirds.

Thank you for taking the time to post a informative and thoughtful reply, on this important subject.

Hope to see you at the next DRVC rally!

Carl C.

I sent an email to FMCA, and I quote: "Although the magazine article defines how we are using the term "recreational vehicle", it does not appear in anything "official". If voted yes, then anyone could interpret the term anyway they wish. Would suggest adding something in the Articles of incorporation. Under THIRD.... 1) To promote good fellowship and cooperation among all recreational vehicle owners. The term 'recreational vehicle' is defined as a self-contained wheeled vehicle that includes permanently installed cooking, sleeping, and sanitary facilities. To represent them ..... (continue with number 1 as printed on page 47 of the magazine"

The article describes the intent of the change, however, it is NOT defined in any of the formal documents as shown in the magazine.  Right now, voting in favor of the changes would allow ANY recreational vehicle to join. 

Allan

Ballot is printed, filled out and in an envelope, It will go in the post on Tuesday.

It is a NO vote for us. We joined FMCA BECAUSE of what it is, what it represents. Change this and we are little different from any other group. Motorhomes NEED their own advocate and their own organization that is dedicated to our unique needs. We have many organizations already that look to the generic RV industry.

8 hours ago, jimnorman said:

Ballot is printed, filled out and in an envelope, It will go in the post on Tuesday.

It is a NO vote for us. We joined FMCA BECAUSE of what it is, what it represents. Change this and we are little different from any other group. Motorhomes NEED their own advocate and their own organization that is dedicated to our unique needs. We have many organizations already that look to the generic RV industry.

Well said.

Allan.  Welcome to the Forum!

In reference to the way it's presented in the Magazine...I agree with you!  Unfortunately there is a 90 day lag between what happened and what's printed...have no clue, why so long a time!  Rest assured that the National Directors (Governance) clarified and defined exactly what the definition of a Recreation Vehicle is and we voted on that definition...that is not an open ended item any longer!  As far as I'm concerned, it was a mute point.  If the Yes have it, then I'm gone!  Got a lot off friends with towable's, non are interested in joining FMCA!

From the various discussions, I overheard at the Meeting in Indy, this whole thing is all about Grandpa and Grandma who have kid's and grandkids with some sort of trailer and would it not, be nice if they could be members of FMCA and go with us to Rally's!  I asked one of the ladies, "have you brought this up to your kid's or grandkid's?"  If looks could kill, I'd be dead !      

Jim, DD69...Agree!

Carl

I hear you Jim and I'm sure its a mute point. I was at Indianapolis and heard the discussions. However, when you pull down the ballot online, the introduction is the ONLY place that defines Recreational Vehicle. It is NOT defined in the Incorporation or Charter. Being wide open like that , it is a definite NO from me.