rossboyer

Should FMCA Allow Towable RVs-- Vote NOW

2 hours ago, amcclure2 said:

I hear you Jim and I'm sure its a mute point. I was at Indianapolis and heard the discussions. However, when you pull down the ballot online, the introduction is the ONLY place that defines Recreational Vehicle. It is NOT defined in the Incorporation or Charter. Being wide open like that , it is a definite NO from me.

Allan, it is to late to change anything in the articles of incorporation or the constitution on this round of balloting. What was put to the GB was exactly as you see it in the magazine so that is what you have to vote on.

The definition of a recreation vehicle had not even been thought of by the executive board. Adcock, had what he calls a "workshop" where all the details that were overlooked in the beginning are brought up to solve. The definition was conjured up at this workshop. During discussions, I brought up the fact that I could join FMCA with a 26 foot Nordic Tug (a boat that costs more than most motorhomes) and that is when the "wheeled vehicle" portion came about. Anyway, the definition you have read was decided on as a way and method to be used to keep a seadoo, boats, bicycles, etc from joining until something "official" can be proposed at the next GB meeting. My concern is that seeing as how this definition is not in any official FMCA document, it could very easily lead to legal action if someone really wants to push the issue.

Something else that probably hasn't been thought of is someone joining up and saying I have a Newell or whatever. How is the ownership of a recreation vehicle going to be determined? No one really knows what a member owns. Plus the fact that if you ever owned a motorhome and later traded for a 5th wheel, you can still remain a FMCA member. I have seen a number of trailers with the goose egg on them during our travels

I like boating and motorhoming. I have found the perfect recreation vehicle for my needs. Don't worry, I will be replacing the propane tank with a wheel.:D

IMG_0111.jpg

Growing the membership will generate more income.  It will also increase the number of members who will have access and use the Assist Program and other member benefits .  Hence, cost/expenses are likely to increase faster than revenue.   This change will not grow FMCA wealth - it will continue to widen the gap/shortfall now being experienced. If the margin is negative,  you can't make it up in volume.

If member dues has to be increased to meet ongoing expenses so be it. 

Your thoughts. ...

Fyi, I was just surfing YouTube yesterday, and there are many videos of people who have done van conversions with varying degrees of success and quality.  Some have permanent toilet facilities, some are less than permanent (removable toilet), and some do not have any.

Looking at this segment of the RV world, what is a class B motorhome, and what isn't?

They all allow access to the living quarters from the drivers area in a (somewhat) standing position.

Chris G.

P.s. I voted (NO).

13 hours ago, scsinsure said:

Growing the membership will generate more income.  It will also increase the number of members who will have access and use the Assist Program and other member benefits .  Hence, cost/expenses are likely to increase faster than revenue.   This change will not grow FMCA wealth - it will continue to widen the gap/shortfall now being experienced. If the margin is negative,  you can't make it up in volume.

If member dues has to be increased to meet ongoing expenses so be it. 

Your thoughts. ...

========================================================

I believe what they are think is kinda like our current healthcare system.  They hope they can attract younger members that won't require "Assist Program" to supplement the older members that have a higher percentage that will use the program.    :-)

Wake me up in December!  Then we will all know what side won!  This Post and the other one, is getting repetitious! :wacko::P:blink: 

Hopefully, this ballot will be publicized enough that a significant portion of the membership votes.  It would be a shame if there were only a relatively few ballots cast from the membership on an issue this important.  It's sad that this is even being brought up for vote.  My NO vote ballot went in the mail last week.  Almost everyone I know has also sent in a NO vote.  I do hope the proposal is voted down.  But, my wishes are just that.  Wishes.  I hope most of the members cast their ballots, and then the club can proceed in the direction that most of the members want it to go.

I'm with you Chindog. I think this issue has been unfairly treated. I've seen articles and letters in the magazine for months now saying how great it will be to let towables in but not one article supporting the opposing view. Even the website says it is time for a change and how great the ammendments are but again no counter point is provided. 

Also I find myself taking offense to the suggestion that remaining a motorhome club that does not accept membership of those not using or owning a motorhome is somehow prejudice. Every club has some common thread, ours happens to be motorhomes. Jayco owners have a club where you must own a Jayco. Coachmen COA has a similar club and requirement. And there are clubs like Good Sam where the common thread is simply camping. I think we need to focus on our common links and not worry about what we are not. 

My hope is FMCA will remain dedicated to motorhome owners only AND retains current member benefits.    The aspects of motorhome ownership are much broader than those of travel trailer / fifth wheels as we have the opportunities / challenges that the "chassis" brings.   If towables are "voted in" then FMCA becomes Good Sam Club or iRV2 type organizations with slightly different benefits.

If FMCA is struggling financially, has FMCA thought about offering different membership levels and fees?  For example, offer a basic membership as does Good Sam Club.  Alternate "benefits" then could become "pay as you go" for something like the Emergency Medial / Travel Assistance service or pay a subscription fee for the FMCA magazine.

Bottom line, I greatly appreciate the unique focus of FMCA and sincerely hope that focus is not diluted by towable RVs.

As I have said in the past, this fiasco is all about money.  FMCA needs money to finance FMCA Assist, that's the bottom line.  Should we allow towables, I doubt many folks have thought about all the changes that will have to be made to accommodate them.  As an example, will our magazine become Trailer Life Lite, full of articles the towables prefer?  It will have to have at least some articles for "them."  Then we have rallies, they don't care about seminars on Aqua Hots, air systems, big diesels, 20k to 50k chassis, Onans, full wall slides, leveling systems and more.  In turn, we are not interested about learning the systems in a towable.  I am not willing to dilute what we have now in order to make FMCA towable friendly.  They have their own groups anyway.

Also, I subscribe to Motor Home magazine...smaller than the FMCA magazine, but more pertinent information.  http://www.magazine-agent.com-sub.info/MotorHome/Welcome

So what is the solution?  Could FMCA set up some type of insurance type program in lieu of FMCA Assist, and those interested could join and pay their own fees?  I am not interested in that program, either.  The other obvious solution is to cancel FMCA Assist.  Thus, no need for more revenue, and therefore no need for towables in FMCA.  Problem solved.

We could figure out what the cost is and apportion it across membership. Is it a loss that is draining our coffers? or is it a net zero? ore are we still gaining albeit slower than we'd like? How about printing in the magazine and including on the webpage an easily printed application for membership? as a member we could carry a couple and pass the out when we talk up FMCA. As others have also suggested have we started an outreach to dealers? how about manufacturers? Make a 'trial membership' available at no cost to new owners. Maybe no voting rights and possibly FMCA Assist is available at a cost as opposed to being included, maybe $25, still half price. Maybe a half price deal? Give the new buyer a 'T' number for Trial that he can upgrade to an 'F' number upon paying dues? THere are thousands of people out there that are thinking about it, but haven't joined. Met one Saturday. Just bought tires. Told him about the program, he may join as he is traveling across the country, Assist and our ERS are attractive to him. How was he an RV/MH Owner all these years and not aware of the major saving on tires? FMCA, we, failed. This we need to fix, we don't need to bring in towables, we need to get the word out to MH owners!!!!

For the record, I voted NO!

Since it's about a 3 month lag time on the Magazine...towables or not, you'll love the December issue!  Let's put the cart before the horse, and bet on the come! :angry:

5 hours ago, manholt said:

Since it's about a 3 month lag time on the Magazine...towables or not, you'll love the December issue!  Let's put the cart before the horse, and bet on the come! :angry:

Carl, I envision a magazine full of trailers :o

Voted NO .. for the same 10 reasons expressed on forum 110 different ways...

I really hope the leaders haven't spent a single penny on developing premature and hopefully useless ad company ads, programs, or solicitation articles for a pre-planned campaign.

That would be an significant and expensive financial error.  Thinking that unless the FMCA leaders spend tons on a campaign, the members are going to vote a resounding NO.... and hopefully we'll be a Motor Coach Association going forward.

Just to add some ketchup to the hamburg.  At the recommendation of a certain national officer, one of our best friends who full times in a large 5th wheel applied for and is now a full fledged member of FMCA and as a matter of fact is right now camped in Cinci in the FMCA campground.

Considering the fact that I don't believe he can be the only one, if the vote goes negative, how will national handle them?

16 hours ago, manholt said:

Come on don't tease.  What's in it?

Since the initial rush of votes have probably been received, is there anyway we can ask the company tallying the votes how many ballots they have recieved?  Not the results, just the # recieved.

Could be the fifth owner had a F# from before, then it's ??? legal?

Don't know what's in the Magazine, only that the cover will represent Family camping....Herman might have heard more than I did, the acoustic was real bad.

We may never know the real number of votes, probably just in percentage!

WhiteEagle.  Any $$$ spent, would have been during Charlie's reign as NP.  Jon Walker has been in office for 2 months.

12 hours ago, brocki said:

At the recommendation of a certain national officer, one of our best friends who full times in a large 5th wheel applied for and is now a full fledged member of FMCA and as a matter of fact is right now camped in Cinci in the FMCA campground.

Carl,

I am sorry but I believe this is a fabrication just to stir up trouble.

Herman

August 26, 2009 is when the Poster joined the Forum...Don't think he would want to stir the pot, unless he's a psychopath! :ph34r:

17 hours ago, brocki said:

Just to add some ketchup to the hamburg.  At the recommendation of a certain national officer, one of our best friends who full times in a large 5th wheel applied for and is now a full fledged member of FMCA and as a matter of fact is right now camped in Cinci in the FMCA campground.

Considering the fact that I don't believe he can be the only one, if the vote goes negative, how will national handle them?

Thought it would be worthwhile to get the facts on this, so I e-mailed Chris Smith. This has nothing to do with "allowing towables" issue.

Here is the answer:

Yes, there is a towable here.  He is a member. 

As you know, there are no national officers parked here currently. 

He owned a motorhome when he joined, sold it, and purchased a fifth wheel.  He is an associate member!

7 hours ago, manholt said:

Could be the fifth owner had a F# from before, then it's ??? legal?

Don't know what's in the Magazine, only that the cover will represent Family camping....Herman might have heard more than I did, the acoustic was real bad.

We may never know the real number of votes, probably just in percentage!

WhiteEagle.  Any $$$ spent, would have been during Charlie's reign as NP.  Jon Walker has been in office for 2 months.

I can say with 100% certainty that the magazine you receive in December will look exactly like the one you have now. The vote is open until November 30th. The December magazine has to be to the printer in early November.

As of last Friday we have had 1,568 ballots returned.