rossboyer

Should FMCA Allow Towable RVs-- Vote NOW

On 9/15/2017 at 6:34 PM, Hermanmullins said:

When a coach joins FMCA the membership office sends out a notice to all Chapter in the Area where the new member resides. I can't speak for other Chapter but in Lone Star our Secretary immediately send a letter and an email to the new member. We have had a number them come and join Lone Star.

We feel it works for us.

Herman 

That is a great way to bring in new chapter members! 

I chased down three locals, only one responded after several emails and phone calls. The one that responded doesn't appear to be a good fit for us on the surface. Another new member and I have discussed starting a chapter, geared toward younger families. The pending outcome of the vote will determine if either of our families continue to be a part of FMCA.

My membership expires in November I'm not going to renew until the decision is announced, if it passes, the eggs come off the coach, including the Diesel RV club and we turn the page on this chapter of our lives :(

already a GS life member, I'll put those dues to other use. 

Dons; here is our "towable"

IMG_3694.JPG

BillA.  I think as you, it will pass for all the wrong reasons!  Also Dons2347 is correct in everything he said, we cannot reject a applicant from a chapter for having something other than a Motorhome, anymore than we can in regards to sex, creed, color, national origins or handicap!  I foresee a lot of lawsuits...:(

Strangely enough, if FMCA makes the mistake they are obviously about to make, I will pay more for my tires even if it is only cutting off my nose to spite my face.  I have watched this business go down the tubes and it has now hit rock bottom.  Unless this measure magically fails, I'm done.  This is about greed and has not anything to do with the word Family or Motor Coach.  The Assn. part has one extra letter at the end.

On 9/16/2017 at 7:11 AM, jeff753 said:

.....Most chapters will carry Charlie's message of if we don't do this we will go under. So I now believe it will pass overwhelmingly....  

Why would we "go under" if the vote fails?  All the powers that be have to do is shut down FMCA Assist, and we are back to the way it used to be.  We won't need the revenue or the membership of towables.

2 hours ago, FIVE said:

Why would we "go under" if the vote fails?  All the powers that be have to do is shut down FMCA Assist, and we are back to the way it used to be.  We won't need the revenue or the membership of towables.

Agreed! Stand-alone RV medical assist programs cost at least $129/yr, If I stay a member of FMCA with medical assist I would not object to $100/yr dues, IF FMCA maintains the same focus on motorhomes; otherwise the board should leave well-enough alone.

The projected cost of the Assist program is a little under $12/yr and that is per F number. Most numbers have at least two people on that number. Back when we voted to raise dues, 5 bucks, people came unglued.

The largest gain in membership was in the two years that we didn't have any type of assist program.

Seriously if members are what we need and we are not getting the targeted demographic of 35-55 Year olds, then the question is WHY NOT?

If these potential members own MHs, and are not joining, why does anyone think that opening up membership to towables will suddenly swell the ranks of with an influx of young people. If towables offset the losses of MH owners, it will likely be with the same age groups. In fact we may actually shrink since towing a large trailer and doing all the set up and the like requires more physical activity than setting up a motorhome so it is likely that there are fewer people in our current age demo with TTs than with MHs!

All the nay sayers make me laugh. What is going to change? What makes you so sure there are hoards of people waiting to join? It will probably be years after you are dead before there is any big change if ever. All the people saying I QUIT before any change are laughable. Nothing has changed yet but I am going to take my ball and go home.:P

Why don't you put some effort in building chapters in your image.:lol:  

Bill

On 8/31/2017 at 3:50 PM, tireman9 said:

I took a look at sales volumes from RVIA.  Basically Motorhomes account for about 12% of total RV market with Class=A half of that percent.

How many current FMCA owners started out with a Class-A as their first RV?

Me, I have NEVER owned a TT or 5th Wheel. My first experience as an owner was a Class A Coach and I joined FMCA for the knowledge base and the fact that there was someone who specialized in what I have. 

First to the Hayes Family nice looking family.  I still feel we don't do enough to engage people A B and C we meet and sell FMCA. 12 % is still a of a lot of people. I still think part of the problem is image, some people view us as a bunch of elitist, non inclusive old farts and I think some of us work hard to live up to that image, including a few on this forum. 

As an under 50 (barely) relatively new member, I feel the problem is lack of things  across the board that appeal to younger members.  I have said this before in this very thread, so I will not go back into the details on my thoughts,  so instead I will ask you,  what is it that you think the FMCA offers the younger generation?  Not only those that still have kids at home, but also people in my age range that are empty nesters, but  still somewhat tied to jobs, and similar obligations though many may have more flexible vacation time than the younger folks with kids at home.

Keon.  Hello  again!  Have not heard from you in some time...guess your "hot rod rig" is running trouble free! :)

Isaaac1.  I'm one of the old geezers!  I don't feel very elite, been where your at now..:)  When I got started with Motorhomes, I was 24 and my DW was 31!  That was in 1967..FMCA offered everyone a Club that was geared to Motorhomes and we could change ideas, via Snail Mail and a annual rally!  We came from all walks of life and age groups and we had one thing in common....our vacation homes on wheels, self propelled.  Yes, there was chapters back then, seek and you will find, because no one in this life is going to take you by the hand and lead you!  So by meeting and talking to folks, we found those that fit our life style and work.  Back then I worked 14 days and had 7 off, in the 70's I worked a 8 on 8 off and lived in Europe, then my work became 28 days on and 28 off...I retired at 42 years old in 1985.  Try to find a common tread, with folks who have your same interest...your work don't matter!

So, what does FMCA offer?  Pretty much anything you want !  Same applies to Good Sam and Escapees...I'm a member of both!  I'm a member of 5 Chapters in FMCA and 1 in Escapees and I'm not going to say to anyone, "please come and join us"!  That's up to you...I know nothing about what you or what your looking for, I only know that there are probably 4 dozen + entries in this tread, from 40/50 year olds, that don't seem to "get it"! :blink::wacko:

WBill.  Your probably right...you blind sided me!  Thanks.:lol:

13 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

All the nay sayers make me laugh. What is going to change? What makes you so sure there are hoards of people waiting to join? It will probably be years after you are dead before there is any big change if ever. All the people saying I QUIT before any change are laughable. Nothing has changed yet but I am going to take my ball and go home.:P

Why don't you put some effort in building chapters in your image.:lol:  

Bill

If you are going to promote having RV's of all kinds in FMCA and you don't change then you are cheating the folks you are courting to join.  There MUST BE immediate changes (as already indicated by the Website Under Construction) to the format.  It must share the airways and the magazine pages equally with all manner of RV.  The industry is already flush with this kind of an organization.  I just don't need to spend the money to be an FMCA member when I get much better benefits from the others.  Heck, the savings on my camping with Good Sam MORE than pays for the membership.

I suppose if the FMCA tire program continues I could consider the annual fee as a savings account that will save me money every 7 years or so but otherwise, what makes FMCA special disappears when this vote passes.

7 hours ago, BillAdams said:

I suppose if the FMCA tire program continues I could consider the annual fee as a savings account that will save me money every 7 years or so but otherwise, what makes FMCA special disappears when this vote passes.

Unless Good Sam comes up with the same Michelin Program...

Or just join FMCA every 7 years or so, buy tires and let it expire until you need it again.  If that's all FMCA can bring to the table, that's a problem.

Manholt, I was not specifically referring to myself and my personal interests, just those that are generally in my age range, and younger that are often more limited in available free time to travel, etc.  In my case I am semi-retired, however my wife does still work full time, she is an administrator at a local public agency, and gets about 4 weeks of vacation time per year, so more than many people do.  Though her schedule often does not allow her a great deal of flexibility taking those vacation days, with many fixed date work obligations throughout the year.

As to FMCA activity I will be attending the Six State Rally in Texarkana next month, I had hoped to attend the Safari International Rally in TN this month, but timing was bad here.

On 9/18/2017 at 6:46 PM, HayesFamily said:

Me, I have NEVER owned a TT or 5th Wheel. My first experience as an owner was a Class A Coach and I joined FMCA for the knowledge base and the fact that there was someone who specialized in what I have. 

Exactly the same for us. We bought a MH first and never looked back. Now approaching official Senior Citizenship age and still going. What FMCA needs is to arrange its rallys so that people with jobs and families with school age kids can attend. If we do that we fix the problem.

Isaaac.  When you get to Texarkana, look me up....I'm Captain for Golf, so I'll be parked in Volunteer section.  My overbuilt Jeep (Red) Wrangler will be by coach. 

BillA.  That's exactly what FMCA was!  Then we had to have a big building, etc!  It goes that way for all Fraternal Organizations also !   $$$$ and we need more $$$

I will be voting "No" because if FMCA changes, the reason I joined goes away. I already have a life membership in Good Sam. I was drawn to FMCA because they were specific to motorized RVs. I had a trailer before the coach and there is a world of difference in the maintenance and care requirements of a coach vs a trailer. I have learned a lot from fellow members, the magazine and the rallies. That information would be greatly diluted if other types of RVs are allowed to join. Motorized RVs are just a small percentage of the RV market so the organization will need to cater to that majority.

I would prefer that FMCA gets rid of the benefits that are costing too much money and offer them at a discount to those that are interested.

Guys,

There have been some really good points made on this thread.

I really hate to see this degrade to name calling/personal attacks. Yes, I deleted the last several.

Let's keep this discussion on a higher level.

Thanks.