rossboyer

Should FMCA Allow Towable RVs-- Vote NOW

I really just had a moment to read through the original post and there are several things that I want to point out that really concern me.

Hubby and I are fairly new to FMCA and you're confused. I'm confused as to how you can be confused when the form specifically talks about class A Class B and Class C coaches. The Forum even has sections for Towing a car behind one of those type Vehicles. Never once does it ever mention anything about the fifth wheels, travel trailers, boats, jet skis, airstreams, Montana's, teardrops, or anything else where the living quarters is not accessible from the driver's seat. There is absolutely no way whatsoever you missed that.

Then you say you got the magazine at and within a matter of a page or two you probably should have realized nothing pertains to anything you own. But to further insult everyone you say that you saw the voter's card but you're not going to return it. That to me is suspect because if you spent your money in an organization that you can't get back then why not vote for towables since they let you get that far anyway so you say.

I'm not the type of person that goes out and makes accusations that I can't prove but Ray Charles himself can see that none of what you're saying makes sense. I apologize if you feel that everyone who owns a Class A B or C has their nose in the air but that comment alone tells me that you don't get out very much because we are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. And when it comes down to helping somebody who has a fifth wheel or something like that chances are one of us will be better equipped to at least give you a place to stay for a couple of hours then folks in your similar situation.

Furthermore, we are not making fun of anybody when we talk about risk at events with people trying to back in towables or let me be more specific, trailers. 99% of us are talking from real experience that we watched in campgrounds and it's not to pick on anybody it's just the reality of the Beast.

If this really indeed is a hoax from the powers to be or somebody just being funny the most that you've done is given a few people some laughs and make yourself looked very suspect. The people on this forum are not dumb, everything from doctors lawyers down to domestic engineers participate here. I don't think any of us fell off the turnip truck yesterday and it probably is best that you make a request to FMCA if indeed you really did join, and ask them to refund your money because you're definitely grossly misinformed about what you uoined.  I just cannot understand how you got that far in the process not knowing that FMCA ( family motor coach association) wasnt for trailers.

I said basically the same, in an earlier post.  Since mine was deleted, then I suspect yours and Joe will go the same direction.  Oh!  I'm retired "Oil Field Trash"!  Like being a Nam Vet and proud of it ! Always Vigilant. :) 

We are motorhome enthusiasts. We love motorhomes. We use motorhomes and we are experts in this field. No need to apologize for who we are or that we like to meet. We're not doing anything to be ashamed of. It is who we are and why we want to belong to a Motorhome organization. Anyone got a problem with that? Nuff said. Now vote NO and send your ballots in please.

signed,

a motorhome afficionado and darn proud of it!

Keon,

Like your new family picture.

Hope to see you and your family at on of the Rallies. For the kids, think of Gillette. Great place for a rally, close to Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Jackson and the Tetons.

David and Loretta have lots on tap for the kids.

I forgot Cody, WY and the Western Museum, a once in a lifetime place to visit. 

Herman 

Actual ballot completion, I've already submitted mine, BUT, today I received the October 2017 issue. Inside is the follow-up ballot in case a member missed the original in the September issue. Anyway, while re-reading the ballot I noticed it states the member must mark their vote by putting an X in the appropriate box.

Will my vote be counted? I colored-in the circle instead of putting an X in the circle, hopefully I'm just paranoid about this and my vote will be counted.

Powers that be, what say you?

3 hours ago, RAYIN said:

Actual ballot completion, I've already submitted mine, BUT, today I received the October 2017 issue. Inside is the follow-up ballot in case a member missed the original in the September issue. Anyway, while re-reading the ballot I noticed it states the member must mark their vote by putting an X in the appropriate box.

Will my vote be counted? I colored-in the circle instead of putting an X in the circle, hopefully I'm just paranoid about this and my vote will be counted.

Powers that be, what say you?

Well let me throw this out there. Policy & Procedure 1001 details the procedure for balloting on changes to the constitution of which you are balloting on for change. Please read under "Submission to the Membership" item number two ( 2) where it says that the ballot  shall be mailed to the CPA in an envelope on which the member has signed his or her name and FMCA number indicating that the envelope contains a ballot from a voting member.

I will bet you a dollar to a donut that there has not been one ballot submitted that that meets those requirements.

POLICY
To adopt any change in the Constitution, an affirmative vote of at least a majority of the votes
returned by the membership is required. Amendments adopted take effective immediately, and
are to be published in the FMCA publication.
PROCEDURE
Submitting Proposals
1. A proposal to amend the Constitution may be initiated by the Governing Board, the
Constitution and Bylaws Committee, the Executive Board, or by a petition signed by twenty
memberships.
2. Proposed amendments with rationale shall be clearly set forth in writing.
3. Proposals shall be sent to the Secretary and a duplicate to the President.
Preliminary Consideration
The text of any proposed amendment to the Constitution shall be referred to the Constitution and
Bylaws Committee for its review. The Committee shall present proposed Constitution
amendments to the Executive Board for its review, discussion and comment. The proposal,
along with any recommendations, shall then be forwarded to the Governing Board.
Submission to the Membership
1. If approved by the Governing Board, the text of a proposed amendment shall be submitted to
the membership of FMCA by publication of its text in the FMCA publication, along with an
appropriate ballot.
2. Ballots shall be mailed to FMCA’s certified public accountant in an envelope on which the
voting member has signed his or her name and FMCA membership number indicating that the
envelope contains a ballot from a voting member.
Action on Referenda
Ninety days from the magazine’s mailing date, the ballots returned shall be validated, counted,
and the results announced.
Special Actions
The Constitution and Bylaws Committee may make corrections to the Constitution for the sole
purpose of eliminating or correcting clerical or typographical errors without prior notice.

I'm sure you're right. I for one did not do that. My "NO" is clearly on the ballot, but after reading this I can see my vote will not be counted (or even opened).

3 hours ago, rpelatt said:

I'm sure you're right. I for one did not do that. My "NO" is clearly on the ballot, but after reading this I can see my vote will not be counted (or even opened).

Oh,, it will get counted, don't worry about it.

It would not surprise me if our EB leaders knew nothing about the correct way to do a mail in vote!  Some of our GB members take our job seriously, so we try to stay on top of P & P and now the Constitution and By-Laws! 

Our Association has never been challenged in the way it is now and Dons an I, can't figure out the "Why"!  I don't see how we as FMCA, can benefit from this change, in our Constitution!  Then does that mean that there are a group of Individual's that will benefit with money?  I don't see that either!  Guess we just wait until January and then wait until July (if it passes) to find out what a towable or definition of a RV is!  If the change goes thru then it will take 3 years before it will be implemented ! 

Based on the Indianapolis Governing Board meeting, if the vote approves, the change is immediate and the Bylaws were approved as provisos and they would then be immediate. Therefore, the change could be effective early December. 

Hello, another old fogey chiming in.  I have been a member for some 7 years now and full time MH during those 7 years.  I cannot tell you how much money FMCA has saved me during those 7 years but it is easily measured in the thousands due to very good advice from folks like Brett.  During my business life, I have been members of many organizations that contributed greatly to my business well being.  Most were very good.  None have ever approached the good we receive from our very small membership fee assocaited with FMCA.  I have read with great interest the many points of view including the National Board concerning the need to expand the membership.  I firmly believe we need to vote with the recommendation of the Board.  They have studied the issues involved and know the subjects much better than I could ever do so nor want to do so at this stage of my life.  I believe they are good well meaning people who want the very best for this organization.  For no other reason I must vote with their recommendation.  Finally, why are we trying to attain "rich man's club status?"   Who cares what someone's pocketbook looks like if the organization contributes to our overall well being.  We all should want the same thing i.e. a good RV experience.  What real difference will expanding the membership to include smaller campers and rv other than perhaps enlighten us all to a better understanding of the pursuit of happiness.  I am frankly to old to worry about who has the most money.  I just want to continue the great RV lifestyle of the last 7 years and if we can make it more inclusive I suspect long term we will all benefit.  I surely do not see how it can hurt what we have today.  Thanks so much to all of you volunteers who do so much for us every day.  Paul and Marcia.

2004 Fleetwood Providence (DP)

2014 Ford Explorer

Paul and Marcia, I agree with much of what you say above and then fail completely to understand why you would vote to water down the font of information that is our organization. If Towables are given an equal representation at Rallies and in the Magazine the total will probably be the same, but how much of the space will be dedicated to MHs? 50%. While MH and Towable owners are all fine people and Camping or RVing is what we are all about, how we go about it and what systems we need vary greatly between a MH and  trailer. My opinion an I vote NO on allowing towables as members. We will become just another Good Sam.

Ross.

In Indy we spent a great deal of time in discussion of what is a RV and the definition of what FMCA would accept as a RV.  Both before the actual meeting and during the meeting.  Yes, we did come up with an acceptable definition, but by our own laws, it needs to be presented prior to a National Board Meeting, in order to be formally voted on.  Therefor it was tabled, until next Summer Convention in Gillette, Wyoming!  Then it needs to be formalized by our Legal Department and sent to the State of Ohio as a Charter change...The State may or may not accept the new Charter!  We have no control over that.  If they do, then we will be a motorhome and towable Association!  If the State of Ohio does not accept the change?  We may or may not loss our current Charter!

I'm not trying to be argumentative, only laying out the format as it is written and can be found under Governance.  For any FMCA member, who wish to get a hard copy of the Charter, Constitution and the By-Laws, just write to FMCA (letter) and make the request.  That also goes for the P & L statement.

Carl

"  ................... I firmly believe we need to vote with the recommendation of the Board.  They have studied the issues involved and know the subjects much better than I could ever do so nor want to do so at this stage of my life.  I believe they are good well meaning people who want the very best for this organization................... "

Sundance, here is the problem with your analogy. There was zero study done on the subject of "recreation vehicles" becoming a part of FMCA. From here on out, I'll use "towable". Not one towable club or manufacturer was contacted about this endeavor, not one. This was brought about by one person and one only. In fact this person, at one of his rallies had a towable show up. He took his treasurer over to the trailer and told him he was not welcome and the treasurer wrote a check for the rally fees and he was told to leave. Now all of a sudden he thinks this is the greatest idea since sliced bread.

Another example of the executive board using bad judgement is the giving of $250,000 to the owner of rVillage, a facebook wanna be. The so called details of the gift is that FMCA will supposedly receive 5% interest on the money OR the owner has the option to issue FMCA stock in the company which is supposed to happen in 2019. This info was found out when I requested a copy of the current annual audit. It had to be covered there to justify the $250,000. You might think this is great in that we will get something however our investments are regulated by our Policy & Procedures. Those tell the organization what investments can be invested in. One that we cannot invest in is private stock. rVillage is not listed on any stock exchange. During the last GB meeting I questioned the then treasurer about the 5% interest and had we received it yet. The treasurer informed the entire GB that the "money is gone". Not one member of the GB stood up and raised any issue with it.

Any member can get any document from FMCA by calling and asking to talk to "membership services". You can get meeting minutes from any meeting, monthly treasurer reports, etc.

5 hours ago, dons2346 said:

"  ................... I firmly believe we need to vote with the recommendation of the Board.  They have studied the issues involved and know the subjects much better than I could ever do so nor want to do so at this stage of my life.  I believe they are good well meaning people who want the very best for this organization................... "

Sundance, here is the problem with your analogy. There was zero study done on the subject of "recreation vehicles" becoming a part of FMCA. From here on out, I'll use "towable". Not one towable club or manufacturer was contacted about this endeavor, not one. This was brought about by one person and one only. In fact this person, at one of his rallies had a towable show up. He took his treasurer over to the trailer and told him he was not welcome and the treasurer wrote a check for the rally fees and he was told to leave. Now all of a sudden he thinks this is the greatest idea since sliced bread.

Another example of the executive board using bad judgement is the giving of $250,000 to the owner of rVillage, a facebook wanna be. The so called details of the gift is that FMCA will supposedly receive 5% interest on the money OR the owner has the option to issue FMCA stock in the company which is supposed to happen in 2019. This info was found out when I requested a copy of the current annual audit. It had to be covered there to justify the $250,000. You might think this is great in that we will get something however our investments are regulated by our Policy & Procedures. Those tell the organization what investments can be invested in. One that we cannot invest in is private stock. rVillage is not listed on any stock exchange. During the last GB meeting I questioned the then treasurer about the 5% interest and had we received it yet. The treasurer informed the entire GB that the "money is gone". Not one member of the GB stood up and raised any issue with it.

Any member can get any document from FMCA by calling and asking to talk to "membership services". You can get meeting minutes from any meeting, monthly treasurer reports, etc.

Boy!  this solidifies my NO vote.

I have been a member for many years and joined because FMCA catered to folks with motorhomes.  There are a number of organizations aimed at other forms of RV's.  I may be considered a snob but do not want to sift through the other forms of RVs to get the information I desire.  Please vote NO!!!! 

Mark R Graves

F161373

We are new members and we joined because it was Motorhomes only and recommendations from several members.  If the charter is changed to include all RV's motorized and towable alike, I will not renew when it is time.  There are many groups, clubs and associations out there catering to every kind of RV imaginable by manufacturer,  type, age group, interests, veteran status, etc..  We are and have been members of GS for years.  If FMCA opens its membership to any RV, I won't need to be a member. This sounds similar to what has happened to this country; everyone gets a trophy. What happened to being special?  That's just my two cents worth.  BTW, my ballot went in the mail today.

We have sent in our NO ballot today. I would very much welcome other than motor homes RVs as Associate Members to introduce them to the Family until they have a motor home. 

2 hours ago, rossboyer said:

We have sent in our NO ballot today. I would very much welcome other than motor homes RVs as Associate Members to introduce them to the Family until they have a motor home. 

Isn't that backwards?

4 hours ago, Jonigh said:

This sounds similar to what has happened to this country; everyone gets a trophy. What happened to being special?  That's just my two cents worth.

That's a great thought.  Very accurate and the very reason I will not renew if this vote passes.  Some will like that A LOT as I will also be gone from this forum as well.

3 hours ago, jleamont said:

Isn't that backwards?

Yes, using the present definition of Associate Member. But if the definition would be changed by the Governing Board, we could accept them. 

It's been a frustrating 12 months for all of us.  So, please take a deep breath and let's get on with the OP!

Ross.  The original thought was to let in towables as a sister/brother club, with no voting rights.  After the "soft" (dismal failure) vote in October of 2016, the EB changed that to what it is today!  Under the original presentation, I was for it.  But not this! :angry: 

14 hours ago, dons2346 said:

When did you renew? A few posts ago you told the group that your membership ran out a couple of months ago. I don't see your name in the member directory either

Right, my membership has expired.  I am not going to renew until this vote is finalize.  I don't get any benefit from FMCA at this point anyway (no road service, no magazine, no campground discounts, etc.) so I see no rush to renew but I can if I choose to do so.

12 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill A. You can still be on the Forum! 

It's been a frustrating 12 months for all of us.  So, please take a deep breath and let's get on with the OP!

Ross.  The original thought was to let in towables as a sister/brother club, with no voting rights.  After the "soft (dismal failure) vote in October of 2016, the EB changed that to what it is today!  Under the original presentation, I was for it.  But not this! :angry: 

I wasn’t in favor of the separate towable group. Years ago in FMCA, towables could join as Associate Members. I don’t think we should have gotten away from that concept. My opinion is that family members should own motor homes. Any other RVs or past members that don’t have a motor home or non-rv owners could or should be Associate Members.